Living Overseas

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a strange situation. I am an American living in Greece. I want to find an agent for my novel, but can't decide if an American agent or a British one is more appropriate. I don't know any other writers so I am pretty much going it alone here. (The book is written in English.)

Would an agent in the U.S. be interested in representing me considering the logistics of being an ocean away? Or does it really matter?

Should I stay within Europe because that's where I am?

Am I even asking the right questions?

Thanks,

Anna

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Depends...

What kind of book is it? Where is it set? I am guessing that one's agent should match one's target market, so if it's a US-based thriller, for example, try a US agent. I have no idea whether agents prefer home-based writers, though, but I know many (already-established, usually) writers live abroad.
Good luck!

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
MarkEsq said:
What kind of book is it? Where is it set? I am guessing that one's agent should match one's target market, so if it's a US-based thriller, for example, try a US agent. I have no idea whether agents prefer home-based writers, though, but I know many (already-established, usually) writers live abroad.
Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. Hm, I see what you mean. It makes sense. Probably a U.S.-based agent, then. I wasn't thinking about the point you made. I thought I would decide whether to search in Great Britain or America for an agent that handles this or that genre. There's so many things to consider.

Thanks again!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
MarkEsq said:
I have no idea whether agents prefer home-based writers, though, but I know many (already-established, usually) writers live abroad.
Good luck!

It makes little difference; i was living in germany when I first got my agent. Though at some stage a face-to-face meeting might be apppropriate.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the time difference between Greece and (say) New York City -- but if it is significant, you might want to try and find an American agent who likes to work via e-mail.

Just a thought ...

AdamMac

Back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I got my U.S. agent, for non-fiction, from overseas and it didn't seem the slightest bit odd. I am Canadian, was working in Spain, and queried agents in the U.K. and the U.S. My book was accepted by agents in both countries with no difficulties in logistics, or anything else. We just spoke in the Madrid afternoon, New York morning.

One thing about living abroad is that it opens up the question of where to sell your book, as Mark pointed out. I could write a book of little interest in the U.K. but have a big audience in the U.S., for example. That seems to increase the possibilities for non fiction.

Hmm. Would it look odd if I send out queries for my fantasy novel with stamps from Transylvania, an hour's drive north from me? I have a dusty half-finished horror novel. Nah. I don't think anybody would notice.

I would like to ask, though, if publishers may have the perception that a writer living abroad is less likely to help much on the promotion side. Is that a disadvantage worthy of note?

Adam

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
I don't know the time difference between Greece and (say) New York City -- but if it is significant, you might want to try and find an American agent who likes to work via e-mail.

Just a thought ...

Yes, that would be nice. We are 7 hours ahead of NYC, so I could call in the evening when it's business hours there.

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
Adam Mac said:
Hi. I got my U.S. agent, for non-fiction, from overseas and it didn't seem the slightest bit odd. I am Canadian, was working in Spain, and queried agents in the U.K. and the U.S. My book was accepted by agents in both countries with no difficulties in logistics, or anything else. We just spoke in the Madrid afternoon, New York morning.

One thing about living abroad is that it opens up the question of where to sell your book, as Mark pointed out. I could write a book of little interest in the U.K. but have a big audience in the U.S., for example. That seems to increase the possibilities for non fiction.

Hmm. Would it look odd if I send out queries for my fantasy novel with stamps from Transylvania, an hour's drive north from me? I have a dusty half-finished horror novel. Nah. I don't think anybody would notice.

I would like to ask, though, if publishers may have the perception that a writer living abroad is less likely to help much on the promotion side. Is that a disadvantage worthy of note?

Adam

Thanks for telling me your experience. I am still relatively new here so it still all seems strange to me. I haven't internalized my where yet. :)

That's funny about the stamps. I might do a double-take if I received that package!

Promotion: Ah, well, I've got a long way to go.

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
It makes little difference; i was living in germany when I first got my agent. Though at some stage a face-to-face meeting might be apppropriate.

Aruna, did you find an agent in the U.S. or England?

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
AnnaT said:
Hello,

I have a strange situation. I am an American living in Greece. I want to find an agent for my novel, but can't decide if an American agent or a British one is more appropriate. I don't know any other writers so I am pretty much going it alone here. (The book is written in English.)

Would an agent in the U.S. be interested in representing me considering the logistics of being an ocean away? Or does it really matter?

Should I stay within Europe because that's where I am?

Am I even asking the right questions?

Thanks,

Anna
If the book is written in English, I'd say you want a US agent. The money and the marketplace are bigger here. The logistics are moot in the era of email!

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
Andrew Zack said:
If the book is written in English, I'd say you want a US agent. The money and the marketplace are bigger here. The logistics are moot in the era of email!

That's what I was hoping! Thanks.

Anna

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
7 hours? no biggie

I forgot to mention that I'm trying to get my book published in the US, even though I'm living in Taiwan --

None of the agents reviewing my work seem to have picked up on this yet, but that's probably because I'm doing everything via e-mail and U.S. stamps (via diplomatic pouch).

The 12-hour time difference might become problematic if someone insists on hearing my voice, but I really think e-mail will cover me quite well. I'll let you know if I discover otherwise.

Best of luck!

AnnaT

Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
I forgot to mention that I'm trying to get my book published in the US, even though I'm living in Taiwan --

None of the agents reviewing my work seem to have picked up on this yet, but that's probably because I'm doing everything via e-mail and U.S. stamps (via diplomatic pouch).

The 12-hour time difference might become problematic if someone insists on hearing my voice, but I really think e-mail will cover me quite well. I'll let you know if I discover otherwise.

Best of luck!

Thanks, and best of luck to you, too.