Querying agents or agencies?

Ace!

Registered
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to query more than one agent at an agency? I have a high regard for a particular agency but see that more than one agent there handles or looks for the type of or genre of book I am trying to have published. Is it appropriate to send a query to more than one agent at that agency?

Thanks!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to query more than one agent at an agency? I have a high regard for a particular agency but see that more than one agent there handles or looks for the type of or genre of book I am trying to have published. Is it appropriate to send a query to more than one agent at that agency?

Thanks!

Not at the same time. That is a big no-no. Query one agent at a specific agency at a time.

But before you do, check the agency's guidelines as to whether it is ok to query a different agent at the agency if the first passes.

Some agencies will say that a no from one agent is a no from all of them. If so, you need to be very careful in choosing which of the agents to query, because you can't query any of the others if she passes. So, do you query the nearly unattainable top agent, or a newer agent still bulding her list? Your call - do you want a better shot at the agency as a whole, or are you willing to give up the newer agents for a long-shot at the most senior agent there.

But if the agency doesn't have that in it's guidelines, then query the first one, and if she passes you can query one of the others. But know that sometimes an agent will pass a manuscript or query along, so a query to junior agent might end up also getting a look from another agent if they discuss it...

~suki

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At the same time? No.

For some agencies, it is okay to query another agent if you get rejected by the first. In theory, you should wait a few months in between. Agencies' guidelines saying specifically not to query more than one of them or that a no for one is a no for all should be respected.

(Even when you query with months in between for agencies that are known for letting you query more than one agent, you still might end up with an awkward situation, such as when I queried a second agent at one agency and was rejected by his assistant... who also happened to be an agent there who had had my full a few months earlier. Oops.)