Would you pull an Adrienne Rich?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
No.

Sorry, but she seems to be grandstanding and trying to make a point of how much more 'pure' she is than others who might accept such an award.

If someone wants to honor you for your work, say thank you and smile. It's not like she was being honored by Satan for "Best Recipe for Babies on a Spit" or something. She needs to get over herself.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Every time someone acts like this in regards to an award I think one thing. "MY, YOU THINK HIGHLY OF YOURSELF...."

I agree with what Jod said.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No.

Sorry, but she seems to be grandstanding and trying to make a point of how much more 'pure' she is than others who might accept such an award.

If someone wants to honor you for your work, say thank you and smile. It's not like she was being honored by Satan for "Best Recipe for Babies on a Spit" or something. She needs to get over herself.
Or pull a Marlon Brando and send an actress dressed as the Indian Princess Winterspringsummerfall to refuse it on your behalf. We'll be talking (and laughing) about it for aeons to come.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Or pull a Marlon Brando and send an actress dressed as the Indian Princess Winterspringsummerfall to refuse it on your behalf. We'll be talking (and laughing) about it for aeons to come.

littlefeather.jpg

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Now that I've read the letter. I'd refuse it.

Dear Jane Alexander,
I just spoke with a young man from your office, who informed me that I had been chosen to be one of twelve recipients of the National Medal for the Arts at a ceremony at the White House in the fall. I told him at once that I could not accept such an award from President Clinton or this White House because the very meaning of art, as I understand it, is incompatible with the cynical politics of this administration. I want to clarify to you what I meant by my refusal.
Anyone familiar with my work from the early Sixties on knows that I believe in art's social presence--as breaker of official silences, as voice for those whose voices are disregarded, and as a human birthright.

In my lifetime I have seen the space for the arts opened by movements for social justice, the power of art to break despair. Over the past two decades I have witnessed the increasingly brutal impact of racial and economic injustice in our country.
There is no simple formula for the relationship of art to justice. But I do know that art--in my own case the art of poetry--means nothing if it simply decorates the dinner table of power which holds it hostage. The radical disparities of wealth and power in America are widening at a devastating rate. A President cannot meaningfully honor certain token artists while the people at large are so dishonored.
I know you have been engaged in a serious and disheartening struggle to save government funding for the arts, against those whose fear and suspicion of art is nakedly repressive. In the end, I don't think we can separate art from overall human dignity and hope. My concern for my country is inextricable from my concerns as an artist. I could not participate in a ritual which would feel so hypocritical to me.
Sincerely,
Adrienne Rich
cc: President Clinton

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Or if there's a cash prize, spend it all on comic books and bubble gum.

No, no. Have some style. Spend it getting hammered in the Senate Bar ( or in the Commons bar in my case obviously) telling anyone who'll listen how Clinton has screwed with the arts and should be strung from the nearest lamp-post. Then secure, in writing, unding from the ( by now drunk) Opposition for a multi-million dollar Arts initiative.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was a thread about getting 'rich'.:tongue

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Would I? No, but I don't share her sentiment. I like awards! Give me one, please!

But she obviously feels strongly about the subject, so accepting an award would be hypocritical. More power to her.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Would you refuse the National medal of Arts, if it was offered to you, like she did?

Excerpt of Rich's refusal.

I'd take it just so I could say I have it, probably.

If I felt as she felt, then yes, I'd refuse it, and write a similar letter explaining my reasons.

There are things about which I feel that passionate, that I'd decline an award or similar kudos just to keep my name and my work from being associated with those I feel are doing harm.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, no. Have some style. Spend it getting hammered in the Senate Bar ( or in the Commons bar in my case obviously) telling anyone who'll listen how Clinton has screwed with the arts and should be strung from the nearest lamp-post. Then secure, in writing, unding from the ( by now drunk) Opposition for a multi-million dollar Arts initiative.
Comic books and crack, then!

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I'd take it, especially if I felt as strongly as Ms Rich did. While the refusal made for some short term attention, being able to hit folks over the head with the award repeatedly might have served her purposes better. Awards can open access to larger audiences and greater influence. As in, "as a recipient of the National Medal for The Arts, I would like to express my displeasure...."

I remember when this happened, and trust me, some folks would have liked to her her over the head with it.

the addster
(recipient of a small arts grant during the Clinton administration)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well there goes your chance to make another joke..

That wasn't another joke it was an explanation since I had to give you one.. BTW.. Sarcasm is lost on me just to let you know for the future.

People do tend to joke and raz each other in OP..... It's the social part of AW. If you don't want to be part of that then tell us.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Jean-Paul Sartre set the bar way higher than Rich by declining the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1964.

I've heard that some years later, he tried to collect the prize money (just the funds minus the award) but was politely refused.