PDA

View Full Version : Christian Puppet Scripts

trose17
06-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi,

I am a volunteer puppet script writer for my local church. I wondered if anyone else here does this as well?

I find it rewarding. I belong to a very large church and the presentations are presented to roughly 500 kids ages 2-5 each month. I get a lot of good feedback on my scripts and since I have started writing them (I've only been doing them for about four months now) the staff has requested the presentations twice-monthly because the kids can hardly wait! It has become the highlight of the children's minisrty program.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound greedy, but I would like to try to have them published once I have a nice collection of them. I need some help on finding out how to format them for publication though. I have looked through the Writer's Market and Christian Writer's Market Guide, but haven't found anything specific enough for my needs.

Anyone have any advice on where to look for this type of thing?

Inspired
06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Since I was just looking for some good puppet scripts this last year, I'll tell you - there aren't a whole lot out there!! A few good books, maybe, but not many on the web.

I would check Amazon or google "christian puppet script" and see where those books are published. I think Concordia may be open to a collection. They have a few. E-mail me if you want me to look up the right contact for that. I have the individual e-mail addresses of most of the editors there, and several guidelines.

Also, check here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/213446583?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=puppet&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1

Sorry, that's so long. Anyway - find each puppet script book there, write down the publisher, then try to find that publisher's guidelines.

As for formatting, I would think, you'd do it very similarly to a regular manuscript. Type up a cover letter and make sure your manuscript is double-spaced.

Be sure to check the publisher's guidelines. You may be able to just query several of the publishers now. Don't send out your ms unless they want it.

ldumont999
06-29-2005, 10:01 PM
I would assume that you would pitch the idea of a book of puppet scripts the same way you pitch any other book -- but this is not my area of expertise. I do know of an excellent Christian FREE script resource on the web. A fellow by the name of Bob Snook has hundreds and hundreds of free scripts that he posts on the web by category. They were, I believe, written as scripts to be performed by people but I am sure that some could be adapted for use by puppets.

Here is the website: http://www.fea.net/bobsnook/