Using Social Networks to Advertise Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

pohaver

Registered
Reaction score
How can I use Facebook and Twitter to advertise my new book. I have accounts, but don't really understand all the aspects of how they operate.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
A basic way is this: if a Facebook friend reads and likes your book, and makes an announcement to all his friends about it, that will help spread the word to some dozens (or more) people quickly.

Of Twitter I know nothing.

clevernamehere

Registered
Reaction score
For Facebook:

1. Someone could post a status update that they're reading XXX by podhaver and they love it (none of my friends do this, but someone could) all of their friends will see it.

2. If you post photos from a reading of signing and your friend Johnny Jones comments "Awesome signing, love the book!" and the photos are set so everyone can see, now all of Johnny Jones's friends see his comment and know about your book.

3. You can post status updates announcing any events. If Mary Smith gives it a thumbs up or comments that she is planning to attend, all of her friends see it.

4. You can use it to invite friends to a specific event.

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
To advertise on Facebook, you need to buy an ad. You can control what it says, where it appears, etc., and you can get really specific about who you want to see the ad, which is pretty cool.

If you want to use Facebook to promote the book, you might want to Google the topic (how to promote book on Facebook or how to use Facebook for promotion). You'll get lots of good info. in addition to the great advice offered here. It's a real slow build process and you have to be careful to not be promoting it constantly.

Good luck!
Sandy

GraysonMoran

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Join groups on Facebook, then post announcements about your book to those groups. There are thousands of groups, some with thousands of members.

Groups are also the key to promoting on Ning.com and LinkedIn.

You don't have to buy anything to promote on thsese networks.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter

TWITTER

Log on to your account. You'll be on your "profile" page. On the upper-righthand corner of the screen, click on the "home" page. Once in the home page, see the search box on the right? This is your new best friend.

Start searching book-related topics. Authors and genres that are similar to yours. The search will spit out people tweeting in real time about these topics. If they look like someone who will like your book, become a follower. Add other writers. Add book reviewers. Add agents. Go to your favorite book blogs and see if they Twitter. I bet they do. Add them.

Meanwhile, update about your book. Give the release date. Talk about the writing process. Review other books you like. Have your own little Twitter niche in the corner of the world that is relevant to books, writing, genre, etc. Talk about your personal life, if you want, sure, but make sure if someone clicks on your profile to check it out you are recognizable as someone with a plan, a specialized topic in the Twitterverse. Nobody wants to add a random Joe who talks about eating turkey sandwiches for lunch.

If you're following the right people and projecting the right attitude on Twitter, you should get a fair amount of people to start following you. Learn how to use Twitter hash tags (#) so you turn up in other people's searches about books and authors.

Start interacting with people. Don't just put your tweets out there and forget about it. Seek out people and have conversations with them. Respond to people who have conversations with you. The more you interact with your followers, the more people on Twitter will see you and maybe want to follow you as well.

Additionally - do you have spare copies of the book? Once you have a decent handful of followers - give some signed copies away. Ask trivia questions or come up with some other fun contests. Tell people that if they retweet the release date of your book, they'll be entered to win a free copy. Whatever. It's exposure. And follow through with whatever you promise to give away.

You can be extremely creative with Twitter in terms of getting people to interact with you, but again, you have build up a lot of it on your own. Add a Twitter banner to your website. Google ways to find more followers. Don't under-tweet, but don't saturate the web, either. Find a nice balance. Hook your Twitter account up to your Facebook page. Apply many of the same ideas from Twitter to Facebook.

Last edited:

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever done this? How much does it cost?

To advertise on Facebook, you need to buy an ad. You can control what it says, where it appears, etc., and you can get really specific about who you want to see the ad, which is pretty cool.

If you want to use Facebook to promote the book, you might want to Google the topic (how to promote book on Facebook or how to use Facebook for promotion). You'll get lots of good info. in addition to the great advice offered here. It's a real slow build process and you have to be careful to not be promoting it constantly.

Good luck!
Sandy

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
No, I haven't purchased ads on Facebook but all the info is on the site so it won't be hard for you to learn more about it.

I am a proponent of working to get the free media exposure -- publicity -- rather than the paid stuff.

Cheers,
Sandy

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's nice to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.