PDA

View Full Version : Upstart Crow Literary

Pages : [1] 2

Smish
07-26-2009, 01:42 AM
I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com (http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com), but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.

Senora Verde
07-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Over a month ago Michael Stearns was listed on the drop down menu and I chose him when I filled out the submission form. I never received a response. I think I'll just wait and try to query this new agency.

Angelchamomile
07-26-2009, 10:55 PM
That's a bummer since Danielle has my full through Firebrand:(

BarbaraSheridan
07-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I heard just today that Michael Stearns, Chris Richman, and Danielle Chiotti are leaving Firebrand to start a new agency called Upstart Crow Literary. Apparently, their website will be www.upstartcrowliterary.com (http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com), but it's not up and running yet.

NOTE: I have no idea if this is accurate information, but thought I'd pass it along.

I saw it on the Verla Kay blue boards (http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=37560.0) so I'd say it's legit.

Williebee
07-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Yup.

Angel -- Maybe send Miss Danielle a note as soon as you get a new email address on her. This could well be an opportunity for you. Good Luck.

revolocard
07-27-2009, 03:40 AM

That's great! I was torn between submitting to Ted Malawer or Michael Sterns. Now, it looks like I can query both! As for those with materials out with one of them, they'll bring that stuff with them, obviously, but I'd expect slower response times for awhile.

Angelchamomile
07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Received a very polite and professional e-mail from Danielle explaining that she is indeed going to be with Upstart Crow, and she would like to still consider my novel if I was alright with it being with a new agency. So.....
1. The rumors are true AND 2. *waves arms, shakes butt*
She said their website should be up next week.
:)

Vespertilion
08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Upstart Crow has a placeholder page up now:

http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/

Does anyone know for sure which agents are coming over from Firebrand, and what they'll each represent?

CaoPaux
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I've copied some posts over from the Firebrand thread that should help.

Vespertilion
08-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Thank you.

Erin
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
The 3 Upstart Crow agents are now listed at Querytracker along with their genres and email addresses.

Vespertilion
08-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?

Erin
08-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Michael Stearns is the only one who handles my genre. It looks like they're already getting queries at their new addresses, but Querytracker doesn't say if he'd prefer just a query, or a few sample pages with. Any guesses what his preference might be?

I'm not sure yet, but on Danielle's Twitter feed last week, she mentioned she wished people would wait to query until their submissions guidelines are posted on their web!

Vespertilion
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.

Erin
08-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Makes sense;o) I had seen a quote where she just says "We're already getting queries!" So I was wondering if my google-fu had failed me, and there was a secret trove of submission info out there. Better to be part of the first-week deluge than an annoying gun-jumper.

I agree...I usually wait a bit after the deluge!

nash
08-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Article on the new agency (and a brief mention of why Michael made the move to depart from Firebrand):

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6673903.html?&rid=#CustomerId&source=title (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6673903.html?&rid=#CustomerId&source=title)

Interesting.

justinai
08-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey, just a sidenote: if you just click the link at the beginning of this thread it takes you to a coming soon page. But if you click the link from the PW article http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/home.html it takes you to the website, up and running. I guess the redirect's not working.

This looks like a fab agency. I'd love to work with them.

Sage
08-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Erin
08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Nice tip on the web link!

eveningstar
08-06-2009, 03:13 AM
I'm unreasonably annoyed that none of their agents accept my genre, purely because the little crow on their logo is so adorable.

Sage
08-06-2009, 03:16 AM
It was hard to figure out who was the best match for mine. They're so specific about what they do or don't want.

Vespertilion
08-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Eveningstar: I know! I love that logo.

I'm a little disappointed, too; on another site Michael Stearns is listed as interested in genre fantasy/sci fi, and now he's not anymore. Teh suck.

Smish
08-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Their website is GREAT!

Good luck to anyone subbing to them. I hope you'll post response times and any useful information you find out!

:)Smish

Sage
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM
The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."

Erin
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
The agent will send you a reply telling you they got the query. The response says it "will be responded to in the next few weeks."

That's what I read on the website. I subbed to Danielle last night and didn't get auto-message. Which leads me to believe they may not be officially "open" yet. My bad...I was going to wait a couple weeks, but couldn't resist on my new book. She seems like a good fit for my career goals. I'll update this thread on response times, etc.

Sage
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
They said they were officially open when they put the website up, right?

Chris sent me a reply.

Maybe give her a day and then if she doesn't respond, resend?

Erin
08-06-2009, 06:37 PM
They said they were officially open when they put the website up, right?

Chris sent me a reply.

Maybe give her a day and then if she doesn't respond, resend?

Right! I won't feel so guilty about jumping the gun a bit :)

trocadero
08-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Hmmm... What's with Michael Stearn's photo? Is Michael Stearns a pseudonym?? He must be a very busy guy:)

Mercurio Cavaldi
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I queried them this morning...

socact
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Erin, I did the same thing (no auto reply, sent to Danielle's other email address - oops!). Are you going to resubmit?

Erin
08-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Erin, I did the same thing (no auto reply, sent to Danielle's other email address - oops!). Are you going to resubmit?

I submitted to the gmail address (pursuant to submission requirements) rather than the one posted on QueryTracker. If I don't hear back in the stated 4 week time frame, I'll resub. I was thinking maybe they didn't have gmail set up yet for auto responders.

Sage
08-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Yeah, the reply to me didn't say it was an autoreply (I don't know if gmail autoreplies look like normal e-mails or not)

socact
08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Hmm, I didn't send it to the gmail address. I sent it to the one on querytracker. I also sent five pages instead of twenty - oops.

Cricket18
08-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I submitted to the gmail address (pursuant to submission requirements) rather than the one posted on QueryTracker. If I don't hear back in the stated 4 week time frame, I'll resub. I was thinking maybe they didn't have gmail set up yet for auto responders.

I too submitted to Danielle--no Auto-Response--which worried me. I sent to the gmail and also waited until the website was up and running. I guess I'll keep everyone posted.

eveningstar
08-07-2009, 04:30 AM
For what it's worth, Michael Sterns mentioned on Twitter (http://twitter.com/mikalroy) that the site isn't officially live. (Just tried the links again and got error messages.)

Smish
08-07-2009, 04:46 AM
For what it's worth, Michael Sterns mentioned on Twitter (http://twitter.com/mikalroy) that the site isn't officially live. (Just tried the links again and got error messages.)

Interesting. It was working yesterday and had bios for all the agents, including specifics about what each wants to see, and even had articles listed in a "writer's toolkit" on the site that were excellent. But you're right... I tried the links again just now and got error messages. Hmm...

Julie Worth
08-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Right! I won't feel so guilty about jumping the gun a bit :)

A twit from Chris Richman: If the number of submissions I've received before the new site is even live is an indication, it might be time to invest in a forklift.

That was yesterday. And this morning I had a dream of lemmings. I was one of them, rushing, rushing.

Smish
08-08-2009, 01:12 AM
They have a Facebook page. (Yeah, I did a search. I'm a dork. But so are 102 other people, so far!).

Sage
08-08-2009, 07:16 PM
The website is back up: http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com

Note that when they first brought the site up, it said 20 pages as an attachment, and now they want 20 pages in the body of the e-mail (attachments will not be read). It will be interesting to see if they do anything with the ones they got before they changed guidelines.

EgyptianGoddess
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
The website is back up: http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com

Note that when they first brought the site up, it said 20 pages as an attachment, and now they want 20 pages in the body of the e-mail (attachments will not be read). It will be interesting to see if they do anything with the ones they got before they changed guidelines.

If it were me and I saw this, I would resubmit with it in the body of the email, just in case. What's the worst that can happen?:Shrug:

Julie Worth
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
If your submission is received by our system, an automated response will be emailed to you.

Rats. I didn't get an automated response, so I suppose they still didn't get my query.

Sage
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Rats. I didn't get an automated response, so I suppose they still didn't get my query.
Did you send to Danielle? As far as I can tell, she hasn't sent a response to anyone. Chris did.

Julie Worth
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Did you send to Danielle? As far as I can tell, she hasn't sent a response to anyone. Chris did.

No, to Michael. But I assume an automated response would be just that--automated.

Update: I finally did get an automated response. Looks like it takes an hour or so.

Sage
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
My response from Chris was definitely specific for him. It could just be that he was responding personally. But the e-mails all go to separate places, so it's possible his e-mail has an automated response and the other two e-mails don't yet.

elissa
08-08-2009, 10:05 PM
If it were me and I saw this, I would resubmit with it in the body of the email, just in case. What's the worst that can happen?:Shrug:
This is exactly what I did. (And I thank sage with all my heart for seeing that requirement, too. I seriously thought I was going crazy when I discovered I had completely failed at submitting according to the guidelines...but they changed their guidelines!)

Thanks, sage! <3

Sage
08-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I got a rejection from Chris, who did indicate he read the pages I attached, so at least for him, if you attached on that first day the website was up, you probably don't need to resend.

vroth
08-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I submitted to Danielle yesterday and got no auto response...hmm.

Jefflrich
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I queried Danielle on 8/5/2009 and got a reject today. Pretty quick turn around. Nice note, too.

good luck all. sounds like a great agency to work with.

Dr. Johnson
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I just got a nice, personal "r" from Danielle. Quick TAT. Here are my stats:

8/5 Query with 20 pgs. attached per guidelines
8/8 Re-submit with 20pgs. pasted in e-mail per change in quidelines
8/12 Rejected

BTW I never got an auto-acknowledgment.

Erin
08-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I just got a nice, personal "r" from Danielle. Quick TAT. Here are my stats:

8/5 Query with 20 pgs. attached per guidelines
8/8 Re-submit with 20pgs. pasted in e-mail per change in quidelines
8/12 Rejected

BTW I never got an auto-acknowledgment.

Ditto for me too.

Dream Believer
08-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Same here. Got the reject off the query with the attachment. Guess she didn't mind opening the file after all (I hope!) :)

Mercurio Cavaldi
08-12-2009, 04:08 AM
I queried Michael Stearns on the 6th and received an auto-response right away. Nothing else since...

socact
08-12-2009, 05:31 AM
No response from Danielle yet...I queried on 8/4 with 5 pages pasted in the e-mail. Should I resubmit with the 20?

Dream Believer
08-12-2009, 06:12 AM
No response from Danielle yet...I queried on 8/4 with 5 pages pasted in the e-mail. Should I resubmit with the 20?

She's probably going to read the 5 and decide before she even realizes you resubmitted...but what have you got to lose?

Erin
08-12-2009, 06:14 AM

Even though she seems to be responding quickly right now, I'd give it another week or so. Maybe she liked your pages and is hanging onto it for another read.:)

Saskatoonistan
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Submitted the first twenty pages of new YA novel about a week ago. Danielle Chiotti e-mailed me back asking for another one hundred pages. I am very impressed with the quick response!

still alive
08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
I hope someone will answer me. I can't post--or haven't been able to post--20 pggs in the body of my email without royally messing up the formatting.

So on 8/6 I sent Ms. Chiotti an email asking her okay to send an attachment. I never got a reply.

Now I'm willing to try to pages posted in the email again, but I'm not sure what the ending number ya'll have decided they want! 20? or 5?

Soon as I get an answer, I'll try to query her. And while I'm begging, does she want a synopsis? IF so, how long?

Thanks.
Still alive (in case you find that a strange handle, and I guess I could change it, but I've been on here long enough to confess I've had breast cancer three times and aggressive chemo that almost killed me but instead cured me! So I am still alive! Hooray.)

Julie Worth
08-15-2009, 01:06 AM
I hope someone will answer me. I can't post--or haven't been able to post--20 pggs in the body of my email without royally messing up the formatting.

If you format your 20 pages the way you do it for this forum, you should be fine. That is, single space with double spacing between paragraphs and no indents. You can do this in a few seconds using the find/replace box.

still alive
08-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks, Julie, I'll give it a try.
SA

rosepddle
08-15-2009, 02:26 AM
I queried Chris on 8/5, got this R on 8/11:
"...Unfortunately, I’m going to pass on this project. After taking a look at the sample pages and the query, I’m afraid your work doesn’t feel like a good match for my personal taste, as I tend not to take on much YA with this much fantasy at its core."

Can't really mope about it. He was quick and if YA fantasy isn't so much for him (or at least mine) then there is not much I can do about it.:Shrug:

still alive
08-15-2009, 02:45 AM
rosepddle, after getting one of those thanks for submitting, we'll get back to you if we're interested from Movable Type, I'd rather even a form rejection! And yours was personal. I think that's good. But what do I know?

As everyone says, don't give up.
SA

rosepddle
08-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining.:)

jennibly
08-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Has everyone that queried Danielle gotten her auto reply? I sent mine a few days ago and never got one.

vroth
08-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Nope, I haven't gotten an auto reply and I sent it a week ago. I wouldn't worry about it (at least...I'm not worried about it).

Sage
08-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I got one from her.

Did you send using the website's address or the AQ address (which is different)?

HappyCamper
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Sage. I used the website add but didn't get an auto reply. Which add did you use?

Sage
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
The website one as well. It seems like all the early queries didn't get one. The autoreply came almost instantly after I sent mine two days ago

HappyCamper
08-16-2009, 06:59 AM
The website one as well. It seems like all the early queries didn't get one. The autoreply came almost instantly after I sent mine two days ago

Hmm...I sent mine four days ago. I think I'll resubmit. Thanks!

amyers27
08-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Got an auto-reply from the Gmail address. I pasted in the body of the e-mail. I'll keep you posted!

elissa
08-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I queried Danielle on the first day (with the attachment, haha) and she sent me an email with some questions about revision possibilities. I emailed her back 8/15 and got a request for the full moments later. *crosses fingers*

elissa
08-16-2009, 08:54 AM
(oh, also, the auto-reply is working at the gmail address now, but it wasn't for a few days. also her first email back to me got directed to my spam folder, and she said they were having some trouble with it, so you may want to check there...)

HappyCamper
08-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I queried Danielle on the first day (with the attachment, haha) and she sent me an email with some questions about revision possibilities. I emailed her back 8/15 and got a request for the full moments later. *crosses fingers*

Goodluck Elissa!

HappyCamper
08-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Resent to website add today and got an auto reply.

augusto
08-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Danielle Chiotti
Hello. This is my first post (though I’ve been peeking in your windows for a couple years now). Been taking in information with nothing to give back. Here’s mine: Queried Danielle (literary) on 8/8 with 20 pgs (no auto reply). She requested full via email today. My second full. Thrilled? Yes…

socact
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Congrats on the full, august!

I resubmitted my query (with 20 pages instead of 5) on 8/17. I did receive the auto-reply. Haven't heard back yet.

cubofaslan
08-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Has anyone heard from Michael, either way? I queried early on but didn't get the auto-reply.

HappyCamper
08-20-2009, 05:08 AM
Danielle Chiotti
Hello. This is my first post (though I’ve been peeking in your windows for a couple years now). Been taking in information with nothing to give back. Here’s mine: Queried Danielle (literary) on 8/8 with 20 pgs (no auto reply). She requested full via email today. My second full among 130 rejections. Thrilled? Yes…

Congratulations August!

dreamwriter369
08-23-2009, 06:25 AM
I sort of jumped the gun and submitted the first day they were on query tracker. I only submitted a query and a week later Danielle requested 50 pages or 3 chapters. This was mid July. Now I am in the waiting zone.

vroth
08-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Just got a nice, personalized rejection from Danielle after a very reasonable two weeks. Good luck to others!

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I queried Danielle last week using the address I found for her on Agent Query (ie: danielle@upstartcrowliterary.com)

Today I found a Dear Author email in my inbox and I was initially pretty gutted until I clicked on it and realised it said:

Dear Author,

Thank you for your interest in Upstart Crow Literary. For instructions on how to query us or submit your manuscript for consideration, please visit us at:

www.upstartcrowliterary.com/submit (http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/submit) <http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/submit> .

Sincerely,

Danielle Chiotti

:poke:

So I visited the website and you are supposed to now query her via this email: danielle.submission@gmail.com

I resent my original query to this address and got an automated response message straight away saying it had been received. I'm not sure if I was just being an idiot by sending it to the address listed on Agent Query and everyone but me sent it to the right address but just flagging it up for anyone ready and poised to hit send on their query :)

Mercurio Cavaldi
09-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Has anyone heard from Michael, either way? I queried early on but didn't get the auto-reply.

I just followed up on a query sent to Michael 5 weeks ago. I received the standard auto-reply saying he had received my re-query, but nothing else yet.

justinai
09-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I e-queried on 5 August and got a request for a full this morning.

He's taking about a month to respond (which if you read the blog this is his usual turnaround).

nash
09-10-2009, 11:38 PM
@justinai: That's great news! Congrats on your request and best wishes.

firedrake
09-12-2009, 01:21 AM
I queried DC exactly a month ago and just received a request to send the first 100pp and a brief synopsis.

That's made my week. :D

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I queried DC exactly a month ago and just received a request to send the first 100pp and a brief synopsis.

That's made my week. :D

Congrats! Great response, fingers crossed for you :) Let us know how you get on and how long it takes for you to get a decision. Hoping its a request for a full!!!

gracietwin
09-15-2009, 02:41 AM
That's a bummer since Danielle has my full through Firebrand:(

She had mine too, but I just dropped her an email at upstart crow and she told me to resend it.

Erin
09-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Guide to Literary Agents Feedblitz's 9/16 newsletter reported that Ted Malawer formerly of Firebrand is also joining Upstart Crow:

Literary agent Ted Malawer has joined Upstart Crow Literary (http://www.upstartcrowliterary.com/). Ted was previously with Firebrand Literary, but with Firebrand's recent closure, he will join four other former Firebranders in forming Upstart Crow. He specializes in children's fiction.

How to contact: ted@upstartcrowliterary.com (ted@upstartcrowliterary.com); "submit a QUERY and TWENTY PAGES of your manuscript. Please put your query and sample in the body of the email, we will not open attachments.

foreverstamp
09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Has anyone successfuly queried Chris? he seems like a good guy but I can't seem to find information on his turn around times.

Sage
09-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Has anyone successfuly queried Chris? he seems like a good guy but I can't seem to find information on his turn around times.
He responded to me in 6 days.

jsouders
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
For those who have queried Danielle, how long did it take for the automated response to go through? I sent mine about an hour or two ago, but I didn't receive anything. Should I resend?

Phantom Writer
09-17-2009, 10:05 PM
i got it within ten minutes. I know others have said it was overnight though.

Madison
09-19-2009, 12:44 AM
I got the automated response about a half-second after I sent the query -- kind of startled me. I queried two days ago...

ditto jsounder's question: what's Danielle's response time right now?

triceretops
09-19-2009, 02:34 AM
From email query to reject was 25 days. They were very nice about it. I had the wrong genre.

Tri

Sage
09-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Daniell took just over a month for me, Madison.

jsouders
09-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Hmm, I still haven't gotten the auto reply. Now, should I re-query? I'd hate for them to have gotten it and then i resend and they go "uh, we already received this so we're going to reject you cause your an idiot." Not that they really would, but you know what I'm saying.

firedrake
09-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Hmm, I still haven't gotten the auto reply. Now, should I re-query? I'd hate for them to have gotten it and then i resend and they go "uh, we already received this so we're going to reject you cause your an idiot." Not that they really would, but you know what I'm saying.

I never received an auto reply, but I did hear from Danielle a month after I sent the query.

jsouders
09-19-2009, 04:27 AM
I never received an auto reply, but I did hear from Danielle a month after I sent the query.

Thanks so much. I'll stop worrying about it then. I've turned into the world's biggest worry wart lately. :)

ChrryBlssmGrrl
09-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I got the automated response about a half-second after I sent the query -- kind of startled me. I queried two days ago...

ditto jsounder's question: what's Danielle's response time right now?

I've been waiting 11 days. I queried the wrong email address first, and then I got a reply after 6 days asking me to send my query to Danielle's other email address. I did that and got the auto reply straight away. But that was 11 days ago now...still, I'd expect to probably be waiting another 2 weeks before I hear anything further. Agh...waiting!!!

Erin
09-19-2009, 07:46 PM

I never got an autoreply from her either, and she responded within 2 weeks.

BlueMouse
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
It was a relief to read this - I queried Danielle on 9/09 and haven't heard from her. I guess I won't start sweating bullets just yet. :)

Got the auto-reply within five minutes, btw.

neener
09-30-2009, 08:02 AM
So, what do you think:
I queried Ted Malawar when he was at Firebrand & he requested, then quickly rejected my full. When they were all @ Firebrand a no was a NO from the whole agency.

Before Firebrand closed I was going to query at Upstart Crow, but now...I don't know. I know my query was initially passed to Ted from whoever I directed it to (I honestly can't remember, and sadly changed the record on my spreadsheet to say Ted...). Shall I just assume that if it's a new agency I can re-query? OR
not.
OR
I could re-query Ted anyway, because I've revised it quite significantly.

Smish
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
So, what do you think:
I queried Ted Malawar when he was at Firebrand & he requested, then quickly rejected my full. When they were all @ Firebrand a no was a NO from the whole agency.

Before Firebrand closed I was going to query at Upstart Crow, but now...I don't know. I know my query was initially passed to Ted from whoever I directed it to (I honestly can't remember, and sadly changed the record on my spreadsheet to say Ted...). Shall I just assume that if it's a new agency I can re-query? OR
not.
OR
I could re-query Ted anyway, because I've revised it quite significantly.

FWIW, I see no problem with sending a query to Upstart Crow, since Ted Malawer isn't one of their agents.

neener
09-30-2009, 09:39 AM
One of the earlier posters on this thread just posted an article that said Ted was joining Upstart. I haven't verified, but seemed legit.

Erin
09-30-2009, 07:56 PM
One of the earlier posters on this thread just posted an article that said Ted was joining Upstart. I haven't verified, but seemed legit.

FYI...I got my info about Ted from Guide to Literary Agents on 9/16. www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog (http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog)

I'd probably query another agent at Upstart. New agency, new rules.

Smish
09-30-2009, 10:58 PM

I see. He's not on their website yet. In that case, it's a bit trickier. Upstart Crow also has a "no from one is a no from all" policy. Still, since you've reworked the project, and it is a new agency, I doubt anyone will hold it against you if you send them a query.

Good luck!

neener
10-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Hmm. Well, I suppose I could email Ted. I have addressed a bunch of the issues he raised about the mansucript. All he can do is be irritated, right?

ChrryBlssmGrrl
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Hmm. Well, I suppose I could email Ted. I have addressed a bunch of the issues he raised about the mansucript. All he can do is be irritated, right?

If you would really love to have Ted in particular as your agent and you think he was sufficiently positive about what he said about your MS when you sent it to him before then emailing him again is a good tactic, in my opinion, rather than trying to sneak it back in under the radar. He might be impressed that you took some of his comments on board and that can only be a good thing, right?

Being rejected by the same agent twice is always an unfortunate possibility that you might have to prepare yourself for (it happened to me!) and many writers go out of their way to avoid having this happen to them. But agents are always complaining that they give feedback or advice or whatever, the writer takes it, resubmits it but to a different agency and then they meet that now published and successful writer at a conference and wonder why they didn't resubmit the MS to them.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Raining Cats and Dog
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I attended a writers conference last week for SCBWI, and Chris Richman from Upstart Crow was one of the speakers. What a great guy! And funny! (If there are any young, good-looking women out there... Chris is looking. LOL!)

Seriously, he's great, and he really sounds like he knows what he's doing... completely legit. And he DID say that another agent was joining the team. The agency sounds promising.

I believe they have the same policy as most other agencies... if it's not right for one, but it might be for another, they'll pass it on. If it's not right for the agency, I guess you're out of luck.

I'm not sure if this will help... :) But who knows?

Good luck!

Julie Worth
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM
But agents are always complaining that they give feedback or advice or whatever, the writer takes it, resubmits it but to a different agency and then they meet that now published and successful writer at a conference and wonder why they didn't resubmit the MS to them.

I rather doubt that this is very frequent, or that agents are always complaining about it. But if an agent does give you feedback, it's generally because they are new (most of the time), or because they actually want to see it again (rare). If they want to see it again, they will generally say so. And be careful to separate the formulaic suggestions from the real ones. A rejection of a partial stating that they found your characters two dimensional is not a suggestion that you work on fluffing them up and get back to them.

JamieB
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Has anyone heard from Micheal S. lately? I've been waiting since they started taking queries to hear back. I got the autoresponse, but I'm wondering....

ChrryBlssmGrrl
10-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I rather doubt that this is very frequent, or that agents are always complaining about it. But if an agent does give you feedback, it's generally because they are new (most of the time), or because they actually want to see it again (rare). If they want to see it again, they will generally say so. And be careful to separate the formulaic suggestions from the real ones. A rejection of a partial stating that they found your characters two dimensional is not a suggestion that you work on fluffing them up and get back to them.

I can't remember who it was but one of the fairly big agencies which has a blog does a 'What We're Looking for This Month' feature every month for people thinking about querying the agency. Last month they basically had a funny, good tempered rant about the number of times agents do offer feedback and specific criticism on partials or fulls they have requested but ultimately decline. The agent that wrote the blog said he hates going to conferences and have writers come up to him and thank him for the comments/feedback/suggestions he gave them that they ultimately used to improve their MS and place it with a different agent. I wish I could remember which agent's blog I saw that on and I would post the link but def something to keep in mind I think, because as you say Julie, it's quite rare to get good feedback with an R so if anyone does get some it might be worth taking on board!

ChrryBlssmGrrl
10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
It was Donald Maas! Memory blank lifted lol

http://www.maassagency.com/thismonth.html

Julie Worth
10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
It was Donald Maas! Memory blank lifted lol

http://www.maassagency.com/thismonth.html

Funny that two writers said exactly the same thing: I revised my manuscript, found an agent and now I’m an award finalist!

Sounds like form gloating. I plan to say that to several agents if I ever get the chance.

Erin
10-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Has anyone heard from Micheal S. lately? I've been waiting since they started taking queries to hear back. I got the autoresponse, but I'm wondering....

I queried him on 8/29 and am still waiting. I got the autoresponse email, too.

Marva
10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I queried him on 8/29 and am still waiting. I got the autoresponse email, too.
Crickets since 8/20 for me.

nash
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I queried MS too 8/8. No word yet.

Maybe he was inundated with queries after the announcement of the new agency?

Erin
10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I queried MS too 8/8. No word yet.

Maybe he was inundated with queries after the announcement of the new agency?

Yeah, I'm not to worried. Seems everyone is slow to respond these days.

Scubasteve4
10-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello, writers. I’ve submitted and revised my manuscript countless times. I finally received my first request for a full! I reread the agent's response a few times, just to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me. They weren’t! Needless to say, I’m stoked. Although I fully expect a rejection, I’m honored to have received the opportunity. Anyone have a rough timeframe for when I can expect a response?

augusto
10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Danielle said 6-8 weeks on my full. I'm at 7 1/2 and waiting...

Scubasteve4
10-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Danielle said 6-8 weeks on my full. I'm at 7 1/2 and waiting...

Thanks and good luck!

Scubasteve4
10-11-2009, 02:39 AM

So on 8/6 I sent Ms. Chiotti an email asking her okay to send an attachment. I never got a reply.

Now I'm willing to try to pages posted in the email again, but I'm not sure what the ending number ya'll have decided they want! 20? or 5?

Soon as I get an answer, I'll try to query her. And while I'm begging, does she want a synopsis? IF so, how long?

Thanks.
Still alive (in case you find that a strange handle, and I guess I could change it, but I've been on here long enough to confess I've had breast cancer three times and aggressive chemo that almost killed me but instead cured me! So I am still alive! Hooray.)

I recommend using a text editor like NOTEPAD. If you have Microsoft Windows, you have it. Just paste in your text and skip lines where there is a paragraph break. Then paste it back into your email. It may look the same, but it sends without all weird line-breaks and stuff that email does to pasted text.

saeglopur
10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I queried Ted at Firebrand last year. He requested a full then held it for months, sending me an update a couple of times that he loved it, but was waiting on agreement from two others at the agency and to please be patient. Naturally, I was like "agent's in the bag!!" alas, agent was not in the bag. He rejected it and said he couldn't get the agreement he was hoping for, but he did send me meticulously detailed notes on the first half of the book. I spent months rewriting the book with Ted's notes, then Firebrand disbanded. I dropped my writing all together. I don't know why it made me so sad that they disbanded. They just seemed like the perfect agency for me. Then I found Upstart Crow and got crazy excited once again and started writing my butt off. I was planning on sending it their way, with all the info about using Ted's edits. But now Ted is there... I don't want to query Ted as I have this gut feeling that he's going to remember what the project was and reject it again. I wanted to query Chris, but now I think I'd feel like an ass sending it to Chris instead of Ted. I could always send it to Chris and make no mention of the re-writing using Ted's edits.

I know I somehow made the act of trying to get an agent sound like a Gossip Girl episode and I apologize, but any thoughts here people?

jsouders
10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
IMO i would send it to Ted. I've been reading that the agents like when you take their suggestions for revisions and I'd bet he'd like to see it again. Especially since he liked it and just couldn't get the others to agree before. This is somewhere new, he might not need others to agree or if he does, they might agree. I would try it. Worse case he rejects again, right?

EDIT: OH, and make sure to let him know though. That way he doesn't go, "I remember this from before, but where?" Just another IMO.

Julie Worth
10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
IMO i would send it to Ted... Especially since he liked it and just couldn't get the others to agree before.

Are you sure this wasn't just an excuse? Especially since his notes stopped halfway through, perhaps he lost interest. In any case, I see no problem with sending it to another agent there since Ted turned you down.

nash
10-14-2009, 12:20 AM
saeglopur- I'll put in a vote to try Ted again, saying you appreciated his detailed comments, that you've revised, and want to know if he'd like to take a look at the revised version.

If he put that much time in 1) I bet he'll remember the project and 2) it seems appropriate to give him a chance to look at it again.

Marva
10-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Queried Michael Stearns on 8/20 and got an auto-reply of receipt. Since then, crickets. I wrote them off as non-responders. Sad. You'd think a new agency would at least send a form rejection.

suki
10-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Queried Michael Stearns on 8/20 and got an auto-reply of receipt. Since then, crickets. I wrote them off as non-responders. Sad. You'd think a new agency would at least send a form rejection.

Here is their policy from their site submission guidelines:

"We will respond to most queries within four to eight weeks. Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming number of submissions received, personal responses are only very rarely possible. But if we are interested, we will request your full manuscript."

So, seems like it is a bit premature to write them off, and that they have been clear about their policies.

~suki

Krista G.
10-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Marva, I agree with suki. I wouldn't write them off yet. I'm waiting on a query sent September 18, so I'm behind you, but I'm still holding out hope (for both of us).

Also, according to Query Tracker, Mr. Stearns's only response in the last 30 days was on a query that had been out for 54. Keep hanging in there!

Windsong
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM

He's said on his blog that he's been really bogged down with getting the agency off on its feet. Have you sent a query status? I sent my query in on 8/11 and haven't heard anything, but plan to send a nudge around the 3-4 month mark if I haven't heard from him by then.

Marva
10-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Marva, I agree with suki. I wouldn't write them off yet. I'm waiting on a query sent September 18, so I'm behind you, but I'm still holding out hope (for both of us).

Also, according to Query Tracker, Mr. Stearns's only response in the last 30 days was on a query that had been out for 54. Keep hanging in there!

Well, my write off is only on my records. I have gotten responses after I've NR'ed them. It's just that I won't count them as possibles anymore. Okay, I can hold out feeble hope until 10/20. That's more than eight weeks.

I do not inquire on any queries, only on partials/fulls. If a query runs past the average response time, then I'll consider it dead. With wonderful sites such as Query Tracker, then we pitiful authors do have some statistics to determine whether we are being ignored or not. Agents should know this. If they don't want queries, then say so. I, for one, will be more than happy to ignore them.

saeglopur
10-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Are you sure this wasn't just an excuse? Especially since his notes stopped halfway through, perhaps he lost interest. In any case, I see no problem with sending it to another agent there since Ted turned you down.

I think it's possible it was just an excuse. My internal self-critic definitely agrees that there was no way he was so enthusiastic about the book I wrote. But I can't imagine he would put so much time into critiquing something he didn't like. The notes were fairly extensive.

Has anyone else experienced great enthusiasm from Ted, then been rejected?

And thanks for your input guys. I guess I'll plan on sending it off to Mr. Ted Malawer once more. He's going to get so sick of me he'll HAVE to represent me.

BlueMouse
10-14-2009, 05:22 AM
I just received (today) a very nice personal rejection from Danielle Chiotti. Said I "showed great potential as a writer" but my book didn't fit with her current lineup. I queried 9/09.

saeglopur
10-14-2009, 05:32 AM
So I've just been reading the website and it says Ted is only accepting queries through conference submissions and client referrals. I guess I can't query him then, can I? Shucks!

Chris it is then, and I think he's cute anyhow, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Phantom Writer
10-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Hey Blue- I queried 9/10 and got that same very nice response today as well. ;)

BlueMouse
10-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Oh no, you mean I DON'T have great potential as a writer??? ;)

Phantom Writer
10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
That's what I thought too when I saw your post Blue.. ;)

ChrryBlssmGrrl
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Blue- I queried 9/10 and got that same very nice response today as well. ;)

I queried DC on 9/8 and nothing for me yet - hey no fair!! I at least want my standard R to pour over if you gave one to Phantom and Blue :-b

Phantom Writer
10-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Cherry- yours maybe in the "possibly" pile! ;)

ChrryBlssmGrrl
10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Cherry- yours maybe in the "possibly" pile! ;)

Eek! No longer - just got my anticipated R! It is pretty much the form reply but there was one line in it that kind of irritated me: ' While this is certainly a compelling premise, unfortunately the manuscript is not a strong fit with my tastes or client needs, as I do not represent projects in your genre'

Well ok, I'm not annoyed to be told my premise is compelling, even in a generic way. But I thought my project would definitely have been in Danielle's specified genre?

Now on Danielle's agent query page it says 'For fiction, she is looking for commercial women’s fiction and multicultural fiction (with a slightly “literary” edge), romance, paranormal romance, and young adult fiction for girls' and even on the Upstart Crow website it says 'she has worked on a wide variety of books ranging from contemporary women’s fiction to narrative nonfiction, from romance to relationship stories, humorous tales and young adult fiction.'

So I would pretty much describe my novel as a slightly highbrow, dramatic paranormal romance and the query says as much. So what gives? If this is the form R it's a pretty confusing one so between that and the different instructions given on DC's agent query page from the ones on the website that she actually wants you to use, submitting to this agency is no walk in the park!!

Better luck to everyone else :)

jsouders
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Just received mine too from her, but now I feel stupid because I never received an automated response so I thought she didn't receive it and resent to a different agent that I thought would be a better match. Now I'm pretty much guaranteed a rejection from the other. Though she did say I show great potential as a writer she just didn't think I was a perfect fit for her. Is this the generic? It was so nice, I'm hoping not. :)

BlueMouse
10-15-2009, 12:51 AM
It would appear it is the generic, jsouders, and I agree - I was hoping it wasn't either. :) Oh well - it's definitely nicer than the majority I've received! ;)

jsouders
10-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Ha, oops. I just read your previous post :Headbang: Oh, well. I guess I'll just keep hoping it's true. :tongue

Phantom Writer
10-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Wow- she must have cleaned out her inbox... ;)

Madison
10-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Queried Danielle on 9/16 and got the "you show great potential" rejection letter on 9/26. Darn, I thought it was a personalized response... But she's fast, which is cool. Moving on to the next agent!

Crzywritergrl
10-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I queried Danielle in July and got a request for a partial in September. She liked it (to a point), gave me some great advice on it then rejected me in October. ouch. She was very personable though which was nice!

Krista G.
10-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Anyone heard from Michael Stearns lately? I'm still waiting on a September 18 query, which isn't too long (especially given his stats on Query Tracker and Lit Match), but I'm wondering where other people are at with him.

Marva
10-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Anyone heard from Michael Stearns lately? I'm still waiting on a September 18 query, which isn't too long (especially given his stats on Query Tracker and Lit Match), but I'm wondering where other people are at with him.

Nothing since August. He's a No Response on my list. Too bad. I think he found the business of running an agency was very time-consuming. At least, that's the assumption I will infer.

Julie Worth
10-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Nothing since August. He's a No Response on my list. Too bad. I think he found the business of running an agency was very time-consuming. At least, that's the assumption I will infer.

I think he's still working through the August stuff, as I recently received a request for material.

Phaeal
10-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Hm, I'm an August sub to MS. Maybe I'll hear soon.

:D

Erin
10-31-2009, 09:52 PM

I sent query & sample pages 8/29 and haven't heard back yet either.

Marva
10-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I think he's still working through the August stuff, as I recently received a request for material.
That's good to know. I'll keep him on my active subs list. It's definitely an agency I'd like to have rep me.

firedrake
10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I received a rejection on my partial from DC. She gave me some very useful feedback. Easily the best feedback I've received from an agent on this particular novel. I don't know how on earth she finds the time, but I definitely appreciate what she did.

nash
11-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Got a very nice personalized rejection letter from Michael Stearns today. Submitted my query and pages on 8/8.

Seems like a super nice guy. Too bad it didn't work out.

And congrats to Julie on your request. Best wishes!

Marva
11-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Got a very nice personalized rejection letter from Michael Stearns today. Submitted my query and pages on 8/8.

Seems like a super nice guy. Too bad it didn't work out.

And congrats to Julie on your request. Best wishes!
Personalized rejection is good. I'm an 8/20 subber, so I'd be totally cool with a personalized rejection at this point. It's sad when you hope you get any correspondence at all, isn't it?

Laura Lond
11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
I got a form rejection from Michael yesterday. Queried in August, too - on the 7th.

Marva
11-02-2009, 12:15 AM
A public thank you to Michael. He sent me a personalized rejection today, which is solid gold in this game. The form rejections always leave you wondering what's wrong.

Now, he didn't say what was wrong, other than it wasn't right for him. BUT, he did say some nice things about my work. Absolutely not form comments at all. I'm encouraged, rather than sad.

still alive
11-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Blue Mouse, it's a form rejection. A nice one but I just got exactly the same response. Maybe they have grades of rejection! But although like you I thought it was personal for awhile I got suspicious and checked on here and saw your posting.

sorry to burst our bubbles. But a no, no matter how nice, is still a no.

Scubasteve4
11-05-2009, 04:34 AM
And it's a . . . rejection! It was quite the thrill getting a full request though. Thanks, Chris!

tempered_steel
11-10-2009, 02:04 AM
I just queried Chris, and got an automated response saying that he recieved thw query. Now for the waiting...

augusto
11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
For those of you scoring at home:
8/8 queried Danielle
8/19 request for full (6-8 weeks)
11/11 nudge (at 12 weeks)
11/16 rejection (no specifics)

Mia Moore
11-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone is waiting for word on a partial with Danielle? She's had mine since early September. Her email said she normally takes 6 - 8 weeks to reply. I'm hoping I didn't miss a response...(unless it was a rejection!) Oh, even then - I do like to have closure. Anyone? (I'm feeling that familiar sense of doom!)

Krista G.
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Has anybody heard anything from Mr. Stearns lately? I'm still waiting on a September 18 query.

Erin
12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Has anybody heard anything from Mr. Stearns lately? I'm still waiting on a September 18 query.

Not me. I'm still waiting on my 8/29 query.

Barber
12-02-2009, 01:57 AM
No reply from my Sept 23 query.

tempered_steel
12-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I just heard back from Chris with a personalized rejection saying that my fantasy was a bit too strong for him. I queried on 11/9 and heard back 12/4, so that's a little under a month. Frankly, I'm surprised I heard back so quickly.

bluehippo
12-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I queried Danielle on 1/11/2009, I got the 'you show great potential as a writer' rejection today, 7/12/2009. It seems like everyone who queries Danielle shows great potential as a writer :)

Smish
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
FYI: Michael Stearns announced on the blog today that Upstart Crow will be on sabbatical from December 12 - January 15.

:)Smish

Southern Girl
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say that Danielle R'd me today, but it was by far the kindest rejection I've ever gotten. A no is still a no, but her email was nice enough that it didn't sting in the least. I plan to requery her with my next project. She will be on the top of my list, in fact.

sciri
01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry about the R, Southern Girl; when did you query?

I'm slamming my head against the wall because I've changed the prologue since I queried her, I think it's SO much better now, and I tried to write asking if she would take a revised query (is that a stupid thing to do?), but that was over the holidays and it bounced back because they didn't take queries over the holidays...

sorry, just rambling.

bclement412
01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear about the R :(

Krista G.
01-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Anyone know if Mr. Stearns is still planning to respond to all queries? I'm still hoping, but my query's rapidly approaching the four-month mark. And with the end of their sabbatical also looming on the horizon, I'm starting to wonder if my hope is in vain...

Erin
01-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Anyone know if Mr. Stearns is still planning to respond to all queries? I'm still hoping, but my query's rapidly approaching the four-month mark. And with the end of their sabbatical also looming on the horizon, I'm starting to wonder if my hope is in vain...

I'm in the same boat. My query's over 4 months old now.

litgirl
01-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Well, mine's only since November, and I haven't heard anything either. I don't know that the time alone is enough to write it off.

litgirl
01-12-2010, 05:57 PM
So, has anyone gotten a reply back over the holiday closures? Or maybe they're making stacks and will send out letters once they come back from their break...

Krista G.
01-13-2010, 02:34 AM
So, has anyone gotten a reply back over the holiday closures? Or maybe they're making stacks and will send out letters once they come back from their break...

Don't they do all their queries by e-mail? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong... In any case, end of sabbatical = swamped with queries again. I don't envy him his slush pile.

honeysock
01-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Danielle just tweeted this:

The Upstart Crow Literary query lines are OPEN! Bring it on, writers!

I'm hoping she'll get to my 11/25/09 query before the '10 tsunami hits.

DolphinGirl
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I was just over at the Upstart Crow site and, under How to Submit, it now says that Michael Stearns, like Ted, "is accepting queries only through conference submissions and client referrals."

This is new, I think, as I was able to query him in December. There is no longer a slot for querying him. I wonder what this means for people who queried him before he changed his policy.

Krista G.
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I was just over at the Upstart Crow site and, under How to Submit, it now says that Michael Stearns, like Ted, "is accepting queries only through conference submissions and client referrals."

This is new, I think, as I was able to query him in December. There is no longer a slot for querying him. I wonder what this means for people who queried him before he changed his policy.

Me, too, DolphinGirl. Maybe he's just doing this to stem the tide, since their sabbatical's over and he's still not caught up. Hopefully those of us with outstanding queries will still get a response - we'll have to keep an eye on their website to watch for any updates.

For those of you keeping track, my query turns four months old today.

honeysock
01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I would think that if they weren't planning on answering already-received queries, they'd have a note up with the new policy about it being retroactive. I read something like that on some other agency's website recently.

litgirl
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm another one with an unanswered query (but it's only six weeks old).

Sigh. This is not the first agent I've queried who (recently!) has decided to just quit taking unsolicited queries. I feel like I'm the straw that's somehow breaking all the camels' backs.

Windsong
01-19-2010, 12:21 AM
It's not retroactive. :)

bclement412
01-19-2010, 12:30 AM
I queried back in October, and I got a very personal R exactly one month later.

Julie Worth
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm another one with an unanswered query (but it's only six weeks old).

It took Michael three months to request the full, and now another three months have passed. He's definitely one of the slower agents.

iowawriter
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Has anyone heard from Chris Richman lately? I was wondering what his response times were or if he was a non-responder.

rebobinar
02-06-2010, 06:28 AM
I queried as soon as the doors opened on 1/15 - nothing yet. But, it hasn't been that long. I don't believe he's a non-responder, but could be wrong.

Erin
02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I queried as soon as the doors opened on 1/15 - nothing yet. But, it hasn't been that long. I don't believe he's a non-responder, but could be wrong.

Ditto. Too soon to tell.

regdog
02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I queried Chris Richman when Upstart first opened and he did respond with a personalized rejection. He was very encouraging about my manuscript even though it wasn't what he was looking for.

Sage
02-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Chris asked for a full today (queried on 1/16/10). He had passed on my query in a recent query contest he was nice enough to judge a week or so ago, but in his full request he said that he would have needed to see pages to request, and, look, there they were in my query ;) It's good to see agents show their personalities in their requests. :)

iowawriter
02-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Good luck, Sage. My fingers are crossed for you.

DolphinGirl
02-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey, has anyone heard back on a query to Michael Stearns yet?
I was thinking of querying Chris as well since his recent description of
what he's looking for might apply to my work.

But I have had a query out to Michael since early December.

I figure that I should wait until I hear from Michael unless he has given up answering his old queries . . . Has anyone heard from him recently?

bclement412
02-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Yay Sage!

And sorry, Dolphin, I didn't query him.

My fingers are crossed for both of you guys!

Sage
02-13-2010, 05:02 AM
Hey, has anyone heard back on a query to Michael Stearns yet?
I was thinking of querying Chris as well since his recent description of
what he's looking for might apply to my work.

But I have had a query out to Michael since early December.

I figure that I should wait until I hear from Michael unless he has given up answering his old queries . . . Has anyone heard from him recently?
I would wait. I believe he's on a query holiday, probably because he's trying to catch up. As far as I know, these agents answer all their queries.

Sage
02-13-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm enjoying reading the Upstart Crow blog. Even though this didn't tell me anything new, I quite enjoyed this post: http://upstartcrowliterary.com/blog/?p=1004

DolphinGirl
02-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Thanks, guys, and Sage, good luck on your full. I've
got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

litgirl
02-15-2010, 05:39 AM
Man, Sage--you have so many fulls out! Can't wait to hear how it all plays out!

regdog
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Good luck Sage

Sage
02-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it goes

Kitty27
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Good luck,Sage!

Roly
02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Good luck Sage! And thanks for the blog-link :D

A_Green_Leaf
02-18-2010, 05:42 AM
I sent a query today to Danielle...will update if (or when) I get a reply...

honeysock
02-18-2010, 06:38 PM
I sent a query today to Danielle...will update if (or when) I get a reply...

Good luck. I queried 11/25, got the auto-response that it was received. I'm still waiting. But not anxiously, as I have another agent on the hook and have quit querying/submitting until I see how that pans out. (Before others jump in to protest, yes I cast my net yada yada . . . . I needed a break anyway--last time I counted, I was at the 70+ query mark for this project.)

Anyhoo, Danielle was at the top of my list and I was disappointed I never heard back. I *think* her husband's a chef, and I thought we would make a good match.

ILSinTexas
02-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Hi all -

I queried Michael Stearns on 11/29/09 and I'm still waiting for a response. I'm wondering if anyone has heard from him recently. But the way, I never received an auto-response, so now I'm beginning to wonder if he even got it.

Thanks for any help -

ILS

Chumplet
02-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Queried Danielle Feb. 1, got my confirmation, no results so far.

Jordygirl
02-23-2010, 06:03 AM
To anyone waiting to hear from Danielle... from the time I queried to the time she replied (NOT the auto-reply) it was about a month. Hope this helps!

Krista G.
02-24-2010, 04:01 AM
Hi all -

I queried Michael Stearns on 11/29/09 and I'm still waiting for a response. I'm wondering if anyone has heard from him recently. But the way, I never received an auto-response, so now I'm beginning to wonder if he even got it.

Thanks for any help -

ILS

ILS, I queried Mr. Stearns on September 18 of last year; as of today of this year, I'm still waiting to hear back from him. I did receive the auto-reply confirming receipt of submission, though.

Anyone else?

litgirl
02-24-2010, 05:14 AM
I queried Mr. Stearns in November (before Thanksgiving) and aside from the auto-reply of receipt, have heard nothing, either.

DolphinGirl
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm a relatively late comer. I queried Mr. Stearns in early December, got the auto-reply, and have heard nothing since.

Stikan
03-04-2010, 03:33 AM
I queried Danielle February 10th and got the automated message. Haven't heard from her yet, but the website does say it can take up to eight weeks.

DolphinGirl
03-13-2010, 05:08 AM
The Upstart Crow website has a new letter on the front, noting its six-month anniversary. In the letter, Michael notes the few thousand submissions they got, adding that some are still awaiting a response.

He seems to imply that he is responding to his old queries. Has anybody heard from him?

Sage
03-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Oh, that reminds me. Chris Richman tweeted:
I'm finally through the mountain of January queries. If you sent me your project before Feb. 1st and didn't hear back, please resubmit.

Stikan
03-13-2010, 05:19 AM
I have made some revisions that were suggested since I queried Danielle 5 weeks ago, should I resubmit and explain it's been revised, or just cut my losses and see what she has to say about the current query and sample chapters she has?

Sage
03-13-2010, 05:26 AM
I would not resubmit. If she offers, and the info in the query and pages have changed, explain that much to her then.

jennifer williams
03-13-2010, 07:11 AM
I just sent Danielle my query. Her twitter said there are 390 in her mailbox since Feb 9th so at least she's caught up to there. Course that was a week ago and it could have climbed up another 100 by now lol

Chumplet
03-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Hmm... I received my confirmation from Danielle February 1 & didn't receive any answer yet.

litgirl
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Nope--queried in November and have heard nothing since.

honeysock
03-13-2010, 08:17 AM
I just sent Danielle my query. Her twitter said there are 390 in her mailbox since Feb 9th so at least she's caught up to there. Course that was a week ago and it could have climbed up another 100 by now lol

I sent a query to Danielle 11/25 and received an automated response. FWIW, I'm still waiting (but not holding my breath) for a reply.

So if she's caught up through Feb. 9, I got skipped. I wrote in my notes that she's a no-response = no type.

If anyone can tell me different, please advise!

Sage
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
So... anyone with experience waiting on fulls from Chris Richman? QueryTracker has all his response times as being shorter than my current wait time (which is admittedly still pretty short in the publishing world). Is QT just way off base?

Stikan
03-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I sent a query to Danielle 11/25 and received an automated response. FWIW, I'm still waiting (but not holding my breath) for a reply.

So if she's caught up through Feb. 9, I got skipped. I wrote in my notes that she's a no-response = no type.

If anyone can tell me different, please advise!

I received an R from Danielle today after a month and 5 days. She was very nice. She told me that it had less to do with my strength as writer and more to do with her goals as an agent. It may be an R, but it's still nice to know it wasn't my writing :-).

Perhaps a follow up would be alright at this point, honeysock? You've been waiting four months.

#1,Jennifer
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I received an R from Danielle today after a month and 5 days. She was very nice. She told me that it had less to do with my strength as writer and more to do with her goals as an agent. It may be an R, but it's still nice to know it wasn't my writing :-).

Perhaps a follow up would be alright at this point, honeysock? You've been waiting four months.
I got the same form R last week.

Stikan
03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Didn't realize it was a form. Thanks.

honeysock
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks Stikan. I may re-query her if the revisions I'm making for an agent-on-the-hook don't work out for me.

Danielle was one of only a few loose ends I didn't have wrapped up from my late autumn '09 round of queries. I was especially interested in her because I *think* her husband's a chef, and I write what I call foodie fiction.

Sage
03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Very nice rejection on my full from Chris Richman today. He said wonderful things about my ms, he just didn't fall in love with it enough to fight for a literary novel.

Query: 1/16/10
Full: 2/11/10
Rejection: 3/29/10

quietfire
03-29-2010, 08:17 PM
I querried Michael last October. Is anybody aware of whether or not he's a no response=no interest guy? I have four fulls out yet I feel hung up on this particular unanswered query. Silly. I'd let it go, but it's just such a kick-arse agency, you know?

ILSinTexas
03-30-2010, 03:57 AM
Hi quietfire -

I'm wondering the same thing. I queried him on 11/29/09 and am still waiting. To be fair though, I sent along the first 3 chapters, which is what they requested on their website.

quietfire
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks, ILS. Either we both did something very wrong in our queries, or he's very busy with current clients. Surely it's the latter, right?

I'm new here, by the way. What a cool bunch of forums. Giving writers a place to bounce their questions and anxieties off each other must save so much unnecessary and unproductive nudging of agents.

Thanks again.

litgirl
03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
I also am waiting on a November query to MS. So you're not alone!

LovesResearch
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I've been awaiting a response on a requested partial, after a referral from another agent, since...to be honest, I don't know anymore. It's been such an eternity that I've written it off as a rejection. In all fairness though, I haven't been prodding with the occasional status queries, so they may have simply lost track of my submission. Either way, it looks like the book found another home, so I'm no longer waiting on an Upstart Crow response.

honeysock
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
"Either way, it looks like the book found another home, so I'm no longer waiting on an Upstart Crow response."

Congratulations, LovesResearch! Are you going with another agency or a publisher?

LovesResearch
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
A publisher honeysock. At least, I think so. I still haven't signed on the dotted line, so I can't give details yet, but...thanks for the congrats! :)

Sage
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
LovesResearch, it's worth it to get an agent if a publisher is interested (and easier). They can negotiate your contract.

And congrats :D

LovesResearch
04-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks Sage, but this publisher is a small press and I'm pretty familiar with epublisher's contracts so I won't be going for an agent this time around. If I ever break into New York though, I'll definitely be looking for an agent. ;)

And thanks for the congrats!

Smish
04-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks, ILS. Either we both did something very wrong in our queries, or he's very busy with current clients. Surely it's the latter, right?

On the submissions page of the Upstart Crow website, it says "Currently, Michael and Ted are accepting queries ONLY through conference submissions and client referrals."

I don't think it's always said that Michael wasn't openly seeking queries, but now it does.

Chumplet
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Danielle mentioned on Twitter she'd gotten through March queries and I told her I hadn't received a response for a confirmed February 1 query. She asked me to DM the title and my name and that it might have been caught in spam, but I couldn't respond by DM because she doesn't follow me.

I tweeted the information but didn't received any further instructions. She might not have hopped back on Twitter since. I'm wondering if I should re-query.

honeysock
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure how effective their system is (or how over-effective their spam filter is). I received the automated response for an 11/25/09 query and never got a reply. I was kind of excited about querying Danielle because I read somewhere that her husband is a chef (and my novels are what I call "foodie fiction").

I suppose you could put "Feb 1 re-query" in the subject line?

Chumplet
04-19-2010, 05:28 AM
I think I might try it. I didn't get an answer after providing my info on Twitter, but in her defense I don't think she was on her computer. She might be offline for the weekend. If I hear nothing tomorrow, I'll try your suggestion.

honeysock
04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
(Nothing yet, Chumplet????? I saw the twitter exchange . . . )

Chumplet
04-22-2010, 05:26 AM
She said she'd look this morning, but I know she must be realllly busy. I won't push, just hope she lets me know if I can requery.

Annarkie
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Just queried Danielle. I hope it goes well. She seems great and I adore the agency's title.

frandavea
05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I just got a wonderful reply from them. Not only did they apologize for the lengthy response time to my query and requested a full, Chris Richman actually remembered reading one of my earlier novels (which has since been published). I thought that was cool.

honeysock
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
That's great, fran. Good luck with the full! Do you mind sharing your query response time with us?

frandavea
05-05-2010, 03:08 AM
That's great, fran. Good luck with the full! Do you mind sharing your query response time with us?

Submitted my initial query 2/26/10 and got a response today (5/4/10). Not too long of a wait, really, considering the increasing number of agencies that don't respond at all.:D

Chumplet
05-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Danielle finally found my query in the spam folder and got back to me today. She was really sweet and apologized for the wait. She praised my writing, but had to pass because she's really looking for more YA and upmarket women's fic (what used to be called chick lit).

litgirl
05-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Do you think a status check on a query is advisable, or should I just assume a no? I queried Michael Stearns back in November and never heard a thing. Anyone else? Did he just decide to X out whatever was left when he closed off to unsolicited queries?

ILSinTexas
05-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Litgirl -

I'm still waiting on my November query as well. I think I'll wait another month or so and query Danielle.

quietfire
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Same here. Nothing from Nov. (or was it Oct.?) 09 query. I think I read initially that he was trying to respond to all queries sent before the policy changed, but it may just be too much.

I think the thing to do is carry on, and then if you (we) are lucky enough to get an offer of representation elsewhere but are still inclined to MAKE SURE M. Stearns isn't interested, a quick follow up wouldn't hurt.

Beckstah
06-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Anyone heard from Chris Richman lately? I'm coming up on eight weeks since I sent my query, and aside from the confirmation e-mail, I haven't heard anything.

skippingstone
06-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Beckstah, don't be afraid to send a polite nudge/follow up on the query at this point. He responded to a query nudge from me -- at around the 6 week mark -- with a request for a full. A charming fellow to deal with. Best of luck!

Beckstah
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
All right, I nudged! My first nudge ever. Let's see what happens.

Kilawher
06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
All right, I nudged! My first nudge ever. Let's see what happens.

I'll definitely be checking back to see what happens, as I just passed eight weeks with my query for Chris Richman as well.

Beckstah
06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Heard from Chris today. He liked the feel and the premise of my MS, but he said that the voice and the protagonist's age would make the book a hard sell.

Ouch. Well, at least he was honest.