The Pizza Dude Really Tried to Give Himself a Tip...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm normally pretty generous with this because I know the guy probably works pretty hard and is generally underpaid, but if the price is 14.68 and I hand you a twenty, you can't just hand me back three singles and prepare to walk off like it's all good. Now I have to look like a prick and deny you any gratuity on GP.

Tsk, tsk.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, that's so awkward. I probably would take my change back from someone for being such a presumptuous little git even though I always tip. Very cheeky pizza guy!

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Grr delivered pizza for a long time, and I delivered myself for a while, and I don't think either of us have ever heard of anyone doing that! That's nuts. Definitely one way to lose whatever tip you were planning to give him.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I avoid problems like this by telling the delivery person how much change to give back, if any, when I pay for the order. In your case, I would've said, "Just give me two bucks back, and we'll be even."

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I avoid problems like this by telling the delivery person how much change to give back, if any, when I pay for the order. In your case, I would've said, "Just give me two bucks back, and we'll be even."

I might have to employ that tactic. I've never seen anything like that before though, I almost wanted to admire his audacity. I even tried to be cool about it, in case it was just a brain-fart and he miscalculated, so I just said, "I actually gave you a twenty." Not accusatory, just stating it and waiting to see how he reacted. And he didn't even pause or look like he had to take a moment to get it straight in his head because he'd made a mistake, he just went back into his pocket and gave me the rest, like, "Dammit, you got me."

It was weird.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Call the manager and tell him if he sends that fella back again he'll become a topping. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...It was weird.
That does sound weird, as if he'd taken his cut before you had a chance to decide how much his services should be rewarded.

I tend to tip delivery persons fairly well, since it seems like I have them going out of their way to serve my needs; and besides, they know where I live, so I never take the chance of stiffing them! ;)

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That does sound weird, as if he'd taken his cut before you had a chance to decide how much his services should be rewarded.

I tend to tip delivery persons fairly well, since it seems like I have them going out of their way to serve my needs; and besides, they know where I live, so I never take the chance of stiffing them! ;)

Yeah, that's usually how I am. Even at restaurants, the service has to be practically horrific for me not to tip well. Some part of me just likes being viewed as a good tipper...

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I did the math...You gave 20.00 and he gave you 3.00 back?

The pizza was 15.00 that means he thought you were giving him a 2.00 tip?
20.00 - 2.00= 3.00

Is this correct?

Why do you think this was too much of a tip for a home delivery? I usually give more then this. Did I get the amounts wrong? I think you got off cheap. His loss.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

20.00 - 2.00= 3.00

Is this correct?

Why do you think this was too much of a tip for a home delivery? I usually give more then this. Did I get the amounts wrong? I think you got off cheap. His loss.

I don't think it's too much, you seem to have missed the point. I think it's not cool to just presume that's what I'm giving you. Maybe I'll give more, maybe less, but don't just take your tip of your own volition and act like everything's peace. He shouldn't think I'm giving him two dollars, he should give me my change and then I'll give him what I give him. Unless I'd given him a ten and two fives, then the implication of the tip is obvious. Otherwise, you just come off as trying to be slick. And I can't go for that. Like Hall & Oates...

Pantra

Registered
Reaction score
Twice this past month I've been in that situation - gave the delivery guy a twenty for a $14 pizza. (which was actually $12 with a $2 delivery fee.) Except both guys said "hey thanks, you need any change back?" in a way that implied I shouldn't. One was already headed back to the car. Call me cheap, but I thought it was kind of rude to expect a $6 tip on top of the $2 fee - basically that I'd be handing out $8 to get a $12 pizza delivered to me. My ex had the same thing happen to her. It really killed any desire I had to tip either of them generously.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I order it comes to 17.00 I pay with a 20 and give them the three bucks.....

Last edited:

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score

20.00 - 2.00= 3.00

Is this correct?

It's not the amount of the tip, it's the fact that the delivery man decided to tip himself.

I'm quite good with tipping but, if someone pulled this on me, they wouldn't get a cent.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I knew there was a reason I always call it in for carryout and never delivery...

Are you sure the guy just didn't know how to make change? Or perhaps didn't know what the bill was supposed to really be?
I once gave a cashier $5 for a $5 item, and she tried to give me back $4.
:D

(Silly me, I shouldn't have pointed out the mistake...twice, since she tried to argue the fact she was correct the first time)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it was him assuming. I get it. Yeah. The guy cut his own throat on that one. His loss and your gain. He must be from the 'school of entitlement', there's a lot of that going around.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I never thought a delivery person would do that, but guess with the way things are they feel they're justified. Not right imho.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worse service I ever got from a pizza delivery person was the one time I ordered on-line pizza (my daughter insisted I give it a try with this company, she'd always had good luck with it). I ordered the $16 worth of pizzas and added the normal tip I would've given if I had cash, sent the order in. Website promised I'd have food in 35 minutes.

45 minutes later, I call the local shop filling the order. They'd gotten it, it should be out momentarily. 10 minutes after that, I called again. The delivery person was just walking out the door. No, they couldn't give me any refunds 'cause it was a web order. 10 minutes after that, we finally got the pizzas. The stone cold pizzas.

Stop using websites AND that particular chain. My daughter has since stopped adding tips when she uses the website.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm normally pretty generous with this because I know the guy probably works pretty hard and is generally underpaid, but if the price is 14.68 and I hand you a twenty, you can't just hand me back three singles and prepare to walk off like it's all good. Now I have to look like a prick and deny you any gratuity on GP.

Tsk, tsk.

Cheeky! On his part, not yours.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
That's, um, yeah, jcomp. I'd really hate to have to retract all tips for that visit too, but what's a person supposed to do?

Though, on the server side, nothing used to annoy me more than counting out the freakin' $.96 only for the customer to go, "Oh, I didn't want that," when I'd go to hand it to them. Really? Let me go break out my psychic helmet so I can read customers' minds.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Well, once it took two hours to get a pizza.. I called the place about it and told them if I did not get it within ten more minutes the order was cancelled.. I did not tip that day..

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I like services that allow me to pay the tip and the cost online--spares me the whole thing. I don't really see a tip as relating to service unless they really screw up.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I was reminded of a pizza I ordered once that came with the wrong toppings. Before I could call in the mistake, the delivery person returned and took back the pie.

He said, "I'll be right back," and returned about five minutes later. He had the correct pie this time, only the box had already been opened by the customer who had received mine by mistake. No slices were missing, but I could tell where at least one had been pulled free and set back in the box.

He lied and told me he'd returned to the restaurant to retrieve the correct pizza; but the only way he could've managed the trip that fast was if he'd been traveling by helicopter.

I let him off easy with only a, So how stupid do you really think I am? kind of glare. Then I asked him for my money back, plus the tip, and had him take away the offending pie.

I ended up making tuna fish sandwiches that night.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I was reminded of a pizza I ordered once that came with the wrong toppings. Before I could call in the mistake, the delivery person returned and took back the pie.

He said, "I'll be right back," and returned about five minutes later. He had the correct pie this time, only the box had already been opened by the customer who had received mine by mistake. No slices were missing, but I could tell where at least one had been pulled free and set back in the box.

He lied and told me he'd returned to the restaurant to retrieve the correct pizza; but the only way he could've managed the trip that fast was if he'd been traveling by helicopter.

I let him off easy with only a, So how stupid do you really think I am? kind of glare. Then I asked him for my money back, plus the tip, and had him take away the offending pie.

I ended up making tuna fish sandwiches that night.

Yeah thats gross havin a pizza that some stranger had touched.. ick.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I like services that allow me to pay the tip and the cost online--spares me the whole thing. I don't really see a tip as relating to service unless they really screw up.

Agreed. Although I pay for the pizza online and pay the tip cash when they get here. I keep a whole pile of dollar bills around for such things.