What did they talk about?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
After "Diner with Dad"
My MC made plans to met her "date" at a local pizza joint.
She's going to met up with 3 of her once-upon-a-time high school friends (like 2 years past!) and just hang out.

She's a very old (and far more experienced/worldly) 20,
her "date" is a young (and somewhat innocent) 32.

Her three friends are her age and say the dumbest things.
She cuts glances over to her date saying wordlessly to
"just let it go, they're morons"

What the heck did the three "friends" talk about?
Ahhh!
I've written myself into a corner!

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds more like her date would be far more suited to her three friends. :D

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com

She cuts glances over to her date saying wordlessly to
"just let it go, they're morons"

What the heck did the three "friends" talk about?
Ahhh!
I've written myself into a corner!
Politics? Especially if they're young enough to think they know everything.

Their jobs -- or if they are in college perhaps their classes, full of certainty about the way the world really is (based on very little experience and a fairly fresh infusion of academics).

Someone they all mutually know.

A series of books (a la Twilight or Harry Potter or The Bridges of Madison County or something) that your MC and her date both think of as total drivel.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Making stupid comments about "old" people?

Maybe somebody brings up a band or show that her date likes and they start joking that only old fogeys like that band/show, forgetting he's in that age group.

Mentioning where they hope to be by a certain age and disparaging those who aren't there yet. Example: I want to own a house by the time I'm 30. I don't wanna be some loser in my thirties and still renting an apartment.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe somebody brings up a band or show that her date likes and they start joking that only old fogeys like that band/show, forgetting he's in that age group.

Odd that you mention that, the one note that I do have left when I planned the scene was that one of the 'younger' ones mentions band-X and the 'older one' starts on about how he saw them live in this bar along with so-and-so and so-and-so and then suddenly realizes that none of these "kids" could have got in to see em cause none of 'em are old enuff and he should just shut up now ... oopsy! hee hee!!

Great suggestions from everyone so far!
Maybe I'll get out of this corner yet!
Many thanks!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If they're once-upon-a-time friends, then they'll talk about the 'old days': 'whatever happened to', or 'guess who I saw', or 'do you remember', boring her date stiff. Until they reach her old boyfriends and personal stuff, at which point the 'moron' comment comes up.

Or, they talk about their currents lives, jobs, school, and, it goes like HelloKiddo says:

"Mentioning where they hope to be by a certain age and disparaging those who aren't there yet. Example: I want to own a house by the time I'm 30. I don't wanna be some loser in my thirties and still renting an apartment."

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
They talked about the shoes the head cheer leader wore to graduation, or the latest haircut the First Lady is sporting after someone made a political comments, or they discussed ANYTHING that has appeared in US Weekly for the last year.

Maybe they discussed whether Marie Osmond actually lost weight, or her photos were just retouched. Maybe they rehashed that time when the clerk carded them and they totally fooled him with their sister's drivers license. Or maybe they even talked about how great it was they were living with their boyfriend - at HIS mother's house, cuz he still lives in the basement.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
They could ask your MC what it's like to be dating a middle-aged man. Many 20-year-old girls consider 32 YO men as sexy but middle-aged.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Two of the friends are taking an introductory Philosophy course, and the third just discovered Marx and Mao. Insufferability ensues.

In general, the typical twenty-year-old's political views should induce enough eye-rolling in the typical thirty-something that head-sprain becomes a real possibility. Same with their views on career, lifestyle, and popular culture. the field's wide open.

Or they could directly address the great difference in the two main characters' ages.