• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeling Betas, esp African American

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
I am seeking beta readers, especially African-American readers, for my 125,000 word novel. I am a published author and my first novel was well received by the likes of Publisher's Weekly, so I can safely assure you that you're not looking at godawful writing. I expect my agent to be pitching to publishers in September, so I am hoping that any beta reads can be completed two weeks or so from now.

This is a paranormal historical thriller set in Civil War New Orleans. It pits the legendary voodoo queen Marie Laveau against the 19th Century's most notorious mass murderess, Delphine Lalaurie (both of these are actual historical figures).

Much of the theme of this novel centers around the history and experience of slavery extending from 18th-Century Haiti to mid-19th Century New Orleans. In addition, the novel is steeped in the practice of voodoo (not Hollywood Grade B stuff, but the real thing). I am specifically seeking African-American readers to make certain that this content and diction feels authentic to them, and not excessively polemical or unrealistic.

I have no need of line-by-line stuff; you can just read for enjoyment's sake and just give me a page or so of comments on anything that stands out to you, either positive or negative. Please pm with response.

Status
Not open for further replies.