A trek through the wilderness of ignorence

Jaoman

Registered
Reaction score
It started with Nietzsche, an impressionable youth, an overly creative program supervisor, a quickly scribbled story, and my trusty, heartlessly honest writer's group. I boiled these ingredients together in late December and by late January I had one nasty smelling soup. It turned out to be medicine, in fact, and as February sank into place I came to the conclusion that my writing skills were of the hit or miss variety, that I had very little conscious standard or grasp on the principles that would make a great story. It tasted almost as bitter as it stank, but it got the job done. Since then, I’ve been biking back and forth across Vancouver, rationalizing my way through a theory and system of writing. Progress has been made, and I’m optimistic that I may get back on the horse by September (the original deadline was March :Shrug: ). Well, the point is that every time I’ve had an epiphany my perspective on the world did a 180. Suddenly, I was able to see things as never before: I’ve seen patterns in my favorite literature which I’d have never imagined, in society, in psychology, etc. It’s a momentous feeling that’s pushed me and thrilled me, and definitely taught me at every turn.

Now, it remains to be seen whether anything I’ve learned is as yet credible, but that isn’t the point. What I want to know in this thread is what were such turning points for you that shaped you as writers, changed your perspectives, and made you better?

Last edited:

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
A turning point for me was definitely when I learned how to behave in a large group of people so as not to be a target. I moved a lot, so I never grew up in a safe environment of happy faces - being the new kid forced me to think differently from those around me, and I started noticing patterns and the like. This has influenced my writing - made it stronger, I hope!

Good luck with your writing!

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
A turning point for me was when I actually let someone read my stuff, and they said they wanted more. More? I was supposed to write more? So I did, and here I am...

Then there was my creative writing class, and really every book that I have read that inspired me to write. There are a lot of them.

But let's see...the major one was when I realized that writing was my outlet. No matter how bad it got, I could come back to the pen and paper, or the computer screen, and it would all just disappear in the flood of words, as though it was water rolling off a stone (reference for you Tamora Pierce fans out there. Quick- name that character. First one to PM me with it- since I don't want to highjack the thread- gets ten dancing bananas and a smiley surprise!)

Anyway, that's when I was officially hooked.