500 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light of the World

Registered
Reaction score
I'm entering a writing contest, but I can't seem to figure out how to keep my story within 500 words (the limit).

Do you have any tips and/or examples of a 500 word or less story.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Limited number of characters (two, max three). Single conflict that you can set up in a sentence or two, no subplots, minimal description, let the actions define the characters. 500 words is tough.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Short

Another trick is to limit the timeline of the story. Have everything take place in an hour.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:popcorn: for my life...in 500 words...I would have to keep it to about 10 minutes. :popcorn:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sure. Here's one I did for a kid's fishing magazine. If you don't count the title or by-line, it's right at 500. The trick is to keep the plot to a SINGLE event and only involve two people (one makes it drag, since there's no dialogue or reaction to facial expressions.)

JUST THIS ONCE

By: Cathy Clamp

"I think we’re lost, Nancy."

The pigtailed girl shook her head, and kept walking through the trees. "We’re not lost, Marcus. I know exactly where we’re going."

"Are you sure?" asked the boy, turning again to look behind. "I can’t see the bikes anymore."

"Do you think mom and dad would let me come here alone if I didn’t know the way?" She twisted her freckled face to him. "Why did you decide to come with me today, anyway? I didn’t think you liked to fish."

Marcus shrugged and wiped the sweat from his ebony forehead. "It’s not that I don’t like to, Nancy. I’ve just never been fishing. But don’t tell the guys at school. They’ll laugh."

Nancy’s jaw dropped. She couldn’t remember a time in her eight years when she didn’t fish — with her Dad, or Mom, or even Grams. Last summer she caught a five pound bass!

"That’s why I decided to come — just this once — to see if I liked it. And it’s why I asked you to bring an extra pole. I don’t have one."

Nancy smiled. "Well, I’ll just have to show you how, that’s all. Fishing’s the best thing in the whole world."

Marcus’s eyes lit up when they reached the pond. Cattails swayed in the breeze, and a huge fallen tree disappeared into the dark water. Ducks paddled lazily on the other side.

Nancy attached a bright yellow lure on one pole, and one painted like a fish on the other. She handed the pole with the fish lure to Marcus.

The lure slapped the shore hard when Marcus tried to cast the first time. The spraying water soaked them. Laughing, Nancy taught him how to release the button on the reel so the spinner would sail far over the water.

When Nancy returned to her own pole, Marcus flipped the lure again. It landed right next to the fallen log! There was a swirl of water, and his lure disappeared. Suddenly, his pole tried to fly out of his hands. He held on tight. "Nancy! I think I have a fish!"

Nancy turned to look and saw his pole bent almost double. A massive green and silver fish leapt into the air. "Wow — a largemouth! " She dropped her pole and ran to his side.

Both of them held onto the pole tight. Nancy kept releasing the line and then having Marcus reel it back. Finally, the bass was brought to shore. It was even heavier than the one last summer!

Nancy held it by the lower lip while Marcus opened a hook on the stringer. "I don’t think you have to worry about the guys at school laughing at you. Not when you show them the picture I’ll have my dad take. And I’ll bet that you won’t be fishing just this once, huh?"

Marcus shook his head. He couldn’t seem to stop grinning while he stared at the bass.

"No, I think maybe I’ll come with you next weekend, too."

Does that help any? :D

RMS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gardenandhearth.com
Place your story somewhere common, ( that most people know) so you don't have to waste words describing the scenery.
Also try writing it a little longer and then edit it to fit.

Niggle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
p076.ezboard.com
There are quite a few 500 word stories at the following link. All the stories are below 1000 words.

500 words is tough but a lot of fun, and a phenomenally good exercise in learning to make every word count.

Good luck with your competition.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like these "really short stories" -- some call them flash. I have a few on my web site.

Yeah, keep them simple. Single event. Short time period. Small number of characters (at most 3, I'd say). Keep the theme simple and strong, and the ending punchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.