PDA

View Full Version : 2 Editor rejections

MsGneiss
07-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Got an email from my agent that both St. Martin's and Harper Collins passed. So so so SO SO bummed out. Agent seemed upbeat. She said that there's still hope.

St. Martin's said: I like it, but don't think there's a place in the market for it.

Harper said: I like it, but didn't connect with it enough.

Ugh!!!

3 other houses are still considering it.

still alive
07-31-2009, 12:25 AM
We who don't have one think getting an agent is all that matters. Until we find our agent going through the same thing with editors at publishers!

I'm sorry. I know it must hurt. Hopes delayed though, not dashed. And what wonderful publishers to have had read it. You're lucky there.

Here I am consoling you when I'm bleeding, but it takes someone who knows what it's like to be truly sympathetic.

Count the blessing in the situation and remember what it was like to be in my boat! Leaking and a going-flat life-preserver, it feels like.
Still Alive

TrixieLox
08-01-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm soon to go on sub to publishers and feel for you. Am dreading the rejections (and I hear the market is so pants at the mo that the chances are, they'll be loads of them).

Once you get an agent, it doesn't mean the rejections stop. In fact, they get worse cos there's a bigger fall from grace (not that I know yet, just being overly pessimistic about my own chances in this tough market). Don't worry, you still have some others out there, chin up!

OL
08-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I know it's tough but believe me, two editorial passes are pretty much par for the submission course. The two important factors here are, does your agent think there is a market for your book beyond a half dozen houses? And if so, is he/she willing to stick with you and your book for the long haul?

Unless your agent only plans on subbing you to 6 places, you are very early in this process, and there are still many places you can go to.

Hang in there. Pull up a chair. Get comfortable. This can take a while.

dawinsor
08-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry, Sleepsheep. It never stops, does it?

WendyNYC
08-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Is this your first round? Sorry about the passes, but like Other Lisa said, it's still early. Keep on chugging.

scope
08-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Don't get bummed out. As long as you write and submit (or your agent submits) you will always get rejections. Of course they are hard to accept, but at the end of the day you have to realize that not every publisher will want your work, for a multitude of reasons, some of which may have nothing to do with the quality of your work. Some rejections can be helpful or make you think about different aspects of your work. For instance, St Martins told your agent that they don't think there's a market for your work. Think about that. Is there a market for your work? Who is it? How large is it? Have you gotten this across to your agent and is s/he presenting same properly? Harper said they didn't connect with your work. Maybe this is a generic pass, but maybe it's worth a discussion with your agent -- in a positive manner: "Harper said XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and I just don't see the problem. Do you see anything I could improve upon?"

The most important thing is that your agent likes your work and thinks it to be publishable. Rejections, as I said, we all get them, and the overall percentage of rejections before an acceptance will always be huge. So, don't hang your head. Continue to be positive.

IHeartWriting
08-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your Rs. Hang in there!

Gatita
08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Ugh, I know the feeling, I've gotten no's from 5 houses so far. We did use their feedback to revise the proposal...

So sorry!!!

happywritermom
08-04-2009, 12:45 AM
This is why I chose the don't-ask,-don't-tell policy with my agent. I don't want to know who is rejecting me unless I really need to know or until it's all over. Hang in there. It will happen. One of my friends was rejected by two of the biggies and then scooped up by HarperCollins. You never know.

Phaeal
08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Ouchies.

Decent feedback, though, and your agent is soldiering on. Hang in!

popmuze
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
St. Martin's said: I like it, but don't think there's a place in the market for it.

Harper said: I like it, but didn't connect with it enough.

I'm finding rejections from editors to be a whole lot less forthcoming than the rejections I used to get from agents. These two sound pretty generic to me. I guess the only ones that mean anything come with an offer to read a rewrite.

MsGneiss
08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
This is why I chose the don't-ask,-don't-tell policy with my agent. I don't want to know who is rejecting me unless I really need to know or until it's all over. Hang in there. It will happen. One of my friends was rejected by two of the biggies and then scooped up by HarperCollins. You never know.

I initially adopted that policy, but quickly changed my mind. I like hearing from my agent... even if it's bad news. Kind of masochistic.

MsGneiss
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm finding rejections from editors to be a whole lot less forthcoming than the rejections I used to get from agents. These two sound pretty generic to me. I guess the only ones that mean anything come with an offer to read a rewrite.

My agent forwarded me the emails from both editors, and they were pretty extensive. But the above summarized their rejection. They loved it, but not enough, or they loved it, but didn't think it would sell. Sucks, sucks, sucks. For some reason, I really had my heart set on St. Martin's. It seemed like the ideal home for me.

samitestar
08-11-2009, 05:43 AM
What kind of book did you write sleepsheep, if I may ask?

MsGneiss
08-11-2009, 05:29 PM
What kind of book did you write sleepsheep, if I may ask?

Contemporary satire about working at a big University.