Roleplaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I came up with an idea to help me improve my abilities to put myself in another character's shoes. Then I can get in his/her head, put his/her thoughts into words, and place him/her in a situation that has great impact on his/her life. I'll use real life people at one important moment in their lives. I can post these works in the SYW forum.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will it help my skills?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came up with an idea to help me improve my abilities to put myself in another character's shoes. Then I can get in his/her head, put his/her thoughts into words, and place him/her in a situation that has great impact on his/her life. I'll use real life people at one important moment in their lives. I can post these works in the SYW forum.

Does this sound like a good idea? Will it help my skills?

I would suggest that eventually you should take it one step farther, to where instead of using RL people - which, as an exercise has merits but might eventually cause certain issues down the line - you create your own characters.

Or, if you prefer to keep it grounded, use RL archetypes instead of specific individuals. You might run the risk of stereotyping, so I would suggest mixing it up, but I think this will give your writer's imagination more of a work-out.

and as always, writing more is better :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You could also look for second-hand copies of role-playing manuals like Call of Cthulhu and other gaming classics that deal with making up characters, giving them attributes, and building a story around them. Great fun.

-Derek

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
Ironically, my current story stems from a role-play character I have played for a couple of years now. Not quite the same thing but the game I play on is pure text, no graphics (Mud, a free one), and I am restricted to writing out every word she says and every action she takes. I find this has been an excellent way to get in her head. As I write the story, I know her and I know how she would react to situations, it feels very natural :)

She is my main character in the game and in the story and I have a handful of secondary characters who have made it into the story as well and the same benefits apply to them. I don't have to spend time to get to know them or feel them, it's established.

It also allows outside plots/characters/players to influence her/me and I get to know more about her than I could by my thoughts alone.

So yes, I think role-playing is a fantastical way to click with a character :)

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
I'll second that. I roleplay all the time on other forums. Some use official RPG rules and some don't, but it's still focused on character. As you do it, you'll slowly find out what makes a character tick, and you can make on-the-fly decisions on how someone will act. It's pretty fun.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's my pathetic, lonely confession.

I'll actually act out my characters/stories sometimes. Sometimes alone, sometimes with a friend who's known me since 8th grade. It helps me see the flow of a scene or idea. I haven't done it in quite a while, but only did it when alone at home with the doors all locked. I imagine it comes from making up playmates when I was a kid. I'm an only child.

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, here's my pathetic, lonely confession.

I'll actually act out my characters/stories sometimes. Sometimes alone, sometimes with a friend who's known me since 8th grade. It helps me see the flow of a scene or idea. I haven't done it in quite a while, but only did it when alone at home with the doors all locked. I imagine it comes from making up playmates when I was a kid. I'm an only child.

I act out random scenes in the bathroom out of pure habit. My sister has walked into my room twice and heard me talking to myself like that. It's pretty embarassing XD

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I act out random scenes in the bathroom out of pure habit. My sister has walked into my room twice and heard me talking to myself like that. It's pretty embarassing XD

You nailed it on the embarassing part. When I had long commutes to school or work, or on solo trips, I would 'act out scenes' in the car. At least no one could hear me. If they saw me, they (hopefully) thought I was on my cell or bluetooth.

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You nailed it on the embarassing part. When I had long commutes to school or work, or on solo trips, I would 'act out scenes' in the car. At least no one could hear me. If they saw me, they (hopefully) thought I was on my cell or bluetooth.

Well, for those cases, I usually just think about fight scenes set to whatever music I'm listening to :V

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Roleplaying will definitely help you with writing and creating characters as well as thinking about how the characters interact with each other. I've roleplayed for years although now I LARP which is still roleplaying but doing it live. (LARP = Live Action Role Playing)

My current WIP was originally based on a role-playing character that I wrote up as part of a class exercise. Then it sort of stewed in the back of my mind for years until I finally started writing it.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I just recently posted a second sample. Like the first one, it's in the autobiography section.

Status
Not open for further replies.