Driving From Kansas to Oregon -- Hotels?

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

As the title suggest the gfriend and I are driving 'cross country from Kansas City to Portland, Oregon tomorrow. Got the route all planned out from Mapquest and double checked via a good road atlas. Should take 26 hours. I estimate we'll be stopping around the Nebraska/Wyoming border the first time, then somewhere around Twin Falls or Boise Idaho the second time. I'm googling hotels but for every good recommendation there always seems to be an accompanying bad recommendation. Any AWers out there at all familiar with this route/part of the States? Any recommendations for hotels at a good price? I'm not fussy about accommodation as long as the place is clean.

WW

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just from an old traveler, stay in name brand places and you should be okay. (The ones on the major interstates with name recognition.) You may drive farther then you think in one day. (Do you have a heavy foot on the petal?)

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I travel that route often, but I'm usually a Motel 6 guy, so it's pretty much a known product. I've stayed in the Twin Falls Motel 6 a couple of times and it's one of the better ones, but the town is quite a ways off the freeway. I've also stayed in the Boise Motel 6. The last time I stayed, it was quite expensive. However, it has good freeway access and is close to moderately priced food and gas.

Cheyenne is a toss-up. Can't say I ever stayed in a motel where I'd like to go back. The places I stayed in were next to a railroad with lots of traffic. I prefer to stay in Denver.

Lately, I've been staying at Super 8, and their prices have been competitive with Motel 6, and they recognize several discounts. However, they vary a lot in quality.

If you find yourself in Pendelton, OR, there is a wonderful little motel in the heart of town. I found it only because everything else was full. They were inexpensive and though it was old, the rooms were immaculate and comfortable. The best part is there was no highway traffic noise at night. Wish I could remember the name....

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well we did it and it was pretty smooth. Just in case anyone else is planning on doing the same thing may I recommend:

Nebraska - The Day's Inn in Ogalalla
Utah - The Marriott in Ogden (only 60 bucks with AAA membership!)
Oregon - The Travelodge in Pendleton

Pendleton was not a great place to stay, but just happened to work because of our late start from Utah. The hotel itself was nice enough but I wish I had found that motel in the heart of town!