How many novels have you written?

downtherabbithole

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, YOU! I'm talking novels, no matter how terrible or reprehensible, how many completed manuscripts have you undertaken? How old were you when you wrote your first?

I think I finished my first novel at the age of about 10, a really bad historical fiction about going west.

Around age 11 I wrote a series about girls who did ballet in Portland, OR.

There were a couple others in between. A few years ago, I finished one that I ended up chunking, but later turned the basis of the story into a play (and its going to be read up in NY!). Now, I've got this one I'm trying to sell and another one I'm working on that I'm going to attempt to publish, if it turns out okay.

I'd say altogether about 6 or 7. I read about an author who said she wrote nine manuscripts before she had one published and I thought "Oh my gosh, I don't have that in me." Turns out, if you go back and count them all, most of us probably do!

Reaction score
First was at age eighteen.

Altogether, trunk novels, terrible ones, not-so-bad...?

Six complete, only two of which I'm willing to EVER let see the light of day.

One, my trunk novel, will be rewritten from the ground up some day. All others? BLARG.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Only one. And while the storyline is good it's a chunk of shit and needs to be completely rewritten.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
3 before my current WIP. And they sucked, but I was young for at least 2 of them :)

My old short stories weren't so embarrassing. I'd still hate to go through SYW with them :D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
First completed draft was in 2000 (age 19). Then rewrote it from the ground up - completely different outline, major story changes, etc - in 2004. Then tore it apart, revamped the outline AGAIN and rewrote it from scratch over the course of two years, finishing it last September. At the moment, that particular book is trunked.

Did NaNoWriMo in November 2008, finished that novel, and have written 9 others since then (two of which *may* be trunked, but I'm not sure yet). 1 is being rewritten right now, 2 are contracted, 4 are on the query-go-round.

So...technically, I've written 13, but three of those were drafts of the same story.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Only one. Got so many 'it reads like a movie comments' - that I switched to screenwriting. I've written a dozen of those, optioned a few (One was the novel I adapted as a screenplay) - And I'm working on one now.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Um...during my handwriting in nice shiny notebook stage.

Oldies: Three: One is being rewritten, right now(historical fiction); One may be revived (historical fiction). (I don't have the original draft any more); One...um ... no way.(fantasy)

Since last July: Two complete: One of these is dead in the water(historical fiction) and has been rewritten in contemporary setting (first draft done); The other is currently being queried.(historical fiction)

God help me: Wrote down some plot points and things to research tonight for another one.(historical fiction)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um... started at about 17 years old.

4 in one series. Good enough books but pretty naive and not of any real interest to anyone else.

One graphic novel with no mass-market appeal.

A fantasy trilogy that was supposed to have been a quintet.

A sports mystery that was queried but garnered no interest. ("Too hard a sell".)

So, nine completed so far, and three in the half-baked stage.

ETA: Forgot one. I ghostwrote a memoir for a local drug czar.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm so glad you allowed "terrible" and "reprehensible".

Three and a three quarters. I include the 2nd one, thought the last two chapters aren't actually written because I have outlined them, and I don't outline. I view outlining up there with communing with the devil, but I did it. then ran out of steam.

I am about 2 chapters away from being able to say four, because my fourth is almost done... done ... done...!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote four novellas around 2002 at the age of 56. I've recently re-written them and they are now submitted to a publisher.
I've written three books in a series and two are published (only finished the third a few days ago).
I've written two screenplays, both adaptations of my books.
I've just completed a chapter book which I hope to publish in conjunction with a really tallented illustrator.

So that's eight books and two films.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Three. Hoping to finish the fourth this year ... ah, who am I kidding. Next year maybe.

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
I finished my first novel at the end of last year.
Working on two more now.

I wrote my first screenplay when I was ten. It had no bearing on what I am working on now. Other than the fact that it had supernatural elements.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
From leaving school, in 1977, I hadn't written anything, besides a few bits of poetry, until 4 or 5 years ago. I have four completed novels/stories, all in various stages of editing. I also have large outlines for 4 more.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Three aborted attempts, one at 10,000 words, one 20,000, and one 21,000. If I slapped them all together, I'd have enough for a short novel.