PDA

View Full Version : Beta needed for YA urban? fantasy novel

nicolemarie
07-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I am currently seeking a couple beta readers for my YA urban fantasy novel. It is complete at 65,000 words. It's been edited twice, the first being a complete over haul. It's not completely polished, but then it isn't very rough either (I hope). Here's a synopsis:

Sixteen year old Emma Jackson is a ball of extremely powerful energy placed in a human body. What a great thing to find out on your 16th birthday.

The Fallen want to kill her and harvest her energy for its power. Even better.

Emma, along with her three cousins, make up the Scarlet Order, a group created centuries ago to harness a powerful energy. The energy was split into four parts and placed into four girls, as a way to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. The Fallen are dead set on collecting all four parts and combining them again, releasing the energy back into the universe and making them invincible.

When a secret prophecy destroys the foundation of trust within her family and threatens everything that Emma thought she knew, she is forced to make a decision: stay with the Innocents or join the Fallen, where her father and boyfriend, Conner, reside. The promise of power and a memberís mind games sway her to choose the Fallen.

After Conner expresses his dislike for Emmaís decision and abandons the Fallen for the Innocents, Emma turns to Lacey and Ethan, her former enemies and fellow Fallen members. Together they bring the Fallenís leader, Demitri, back from his imprisonment in the spirit world. But Demitri has his mind set on destroying the Scarlet Order and bringing the world to its knees using their powerful energy. Does Emma have what it takes to stand by and watch him kill every person she has ever loved?

Basically what I'm looking for in a beta is someone who can tell me if there are any plots holes, if the voice is consistent throughout, if the characters are believable, and if it's even any good. I'm not necessarily looking for a line by line edit, or for spelling/grammar, but if that's your thing, feel free to comment. I'd be willing to trade with someone as well, though I have never beta'd another person's work before. I would prefer a fellow YA writer if a trade is being made, since that is the style I am used to reading. I can send a couple chapters at a time or the whole thing at once, whatever works best. Thanks in advance!

Watari
07-30-2009, 05:35 PM
I would love to be able to help you out. I love YA Fantasy/Urban fiction. Do you want to PM it to me?

nicolemarie
07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I sent you a PM Watari :)