• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need A Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

knifecrew

Searching for a Mentor

I'm not new to writing, but I've never really had any "direction" per-say, from a veteran who knows the ropes. I think after I discovered GAFF (which was late last year), is when I actually started to realize how many little things there are to writing and how important they can be to a story. I'm even taking classes now that I'm in college to perfect my skill. But I still don't have someone close enough to me where I can talk one-on-one and get some insight for the questions I have. None of my friends or aquaintances are as interested in writing, so I've got a hard time trying to find someone with the free time that I do have after class and studying.

I would appreciate whatever help anyone has to offer. :)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Welcome, knifecrew. You might want to state what sort of things you write. Many mentors are only interested in working with people in their same genre. You might also tell them what you believe you need the most help with (plots, characterization, writing mechanics, etc.)Good luck!

knifecrew

Alrighty then. Well, I like to write a lot of drama/suspense/action/comedy (together, so I suppose it would be a variety). I actually started out writing in the X-Files fandom (so there's a bit of scifi in there, too). And I think that I need some help with a little bit of everything. Plot, setting, description, characterization, detail, not so much spelling/grammar, but just some of the things that I mentioned up there.

I just started writing original fics. I have two so far. None of them are finished. But I want to focus on the most recent one, which is a scifi/drama/action/suspense (maybe even a bit humorous, but mainly those four categories).

Status
Not open for further replies.