Mauser Rifle

barnicus

I can't do nothin for you
Registered
Reaction score
If you were going to hunt with a Mauser rifle, which game would be appropriate and at what distance?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you were going to hunt with a Mauser rifle, which game would be appropriate and at what distance?

You may be assuming a Mauser rifle is made in one caliber. Actually, Mauser rifles and pistols have seen use from the late 1800s, through the twentieth century, and are still going strong.

The original marketed cartridge was the 7.92X57 cartridge called the 8mm Mauser still used today by deer and elk hunters from 100 to 400 yards (or meters). Later, the 7X57 7mm Mauder was popular for antelope and deer, possibly extending maximum effective range for competent shots to 500 yards or meters.

Today, Mauser rifle are manufactured to fire .22 LR cartridges for plinking and small game such as rabbits from 50 to 100 feet through dozens of cartridges to the 12.7mm (.500 Jeffry) for hunting cape buffalo and elephants. Ranges depend on circumstances the skill of the hunter.

I hope this general information helped rather than confused.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
7x57 mauser is kind of a mid power round among common rifle calibers. .308, .280, and 30-06 are all progressively more powerful (certain variables not withstanding), while rounds like the 30-30, and ironically, the 8x57 mauser are a little less powerful. If it has a good scope and trained user it should reach out to 800 yards or more (note that bullet drop at 500 yards is already between 40 and 50 inches), but with greatly reduced power. Although it could be used on large game (Moose, Grizzley, etc.) most hunters would feel more comfortable with something larger bore and would be more likely to use it on mule deer, whitetailed deer and possibly elk.

Last edited:

barnicus

I can't do nothin for you
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. Its all been helpful