Australian and US co-writers - How to query

A.R. Starr

Writing Addict & Proud Of It
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
I'm getting way ahead of myself here, as I'm not quite finished with my novel, however this has been eating at the back of my mind and I thought you guys might be able to put an end to the wondering.

My WIP is basically co-written by myself and my best friend, as is the planned sequel to it. I say basically, since (as my friend and I planned) the current WIP is about 85% mine and 15% hers. We're already intending to split the royalities and are happy with our agreement - right down to having a written agreement about it, just to be safe.

So, background aside, how do we go about pitching this thing to agents when one author is Australian (me) and the other is in the US? Is it okay, for example, if I do the querying and say it's co-written or do we both need to write the query letter, ect.

Hope you guys can help.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
I think it'd be fine if you did the query like:

Dear Agent:

We are currently seeking representation for our novel *insert title here*....

And close with

Sincerely,

your name here (since the story is mainly yours)

friend's name here (since she owns less of the story)

I'd only select one contact e-mail and address and phone # though for the agent to get in touch with you. And it prob should be yours, since you own most of the story.

Anyway, that's my advice. Be warned it could be dead wrong, so do some research before you take it. :)

Good luck and happy writing! :D