Socks: A Work Of Historical Fiction

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
I got a chuckle out of something I read over at the DA website, thought I might share. :) There's some spelling mistakes and whatnot, but what do we writers care about such things? ;)

Here's the link to the guy's profile: http://ennokni.deviantart.com/ He's got some funny (simple) cartoons there too. :D Here's his 'short story' (with minor edits to make it a slightly easier read)...

Socks: A Work Of Historical Fiction (with footnotes)

These days people don't fully comprehend how important clothes really are. Clothes in themselves have become merely cloth to too many people. Perhaps the most overlooked and disrespected piece of clothing today is the sock. Socks are not just devices of warmth and comfort or hilarity in it's purest form, as most people believe; no, they are much more. Socks teach us lessons you could not begin to comprehend until the sock teaches them to you itself. Considering that it is very unlikely a sock will actually talk to you, I'll attempt to convey the message instead. To understand the sock is to understand it's history, it's meaning and it's way of thinking, or lack there of.

If someone were to come up to me and say something like "Socks keep my feet warm." I would laugh at them and scoff rather uncontrollably. Almost to the point of passing out uncontrollably.

They are wrong. Wrong in the sense that warmth is only one of the many services the sock provides to us humble men. The sock is the proverbial, and literal, shield from the outside world and the single most important item of clothing in all of humanity. <snipped by moderator to comply with fair use>

Last edited by a moderator:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Snipped, to respect the author's copyright. :) You absolutely cannot pull someone's entire article, story, or other piece, and repost it--with or without edits--without express permission.

And if the work IS originally posted under a CC agreement or with express permission granted, posting it in its entirety still isn't actually appropriate, here. Much better to drive traffic to the author's own site.

Last edited:

Pepper

I IS PRANCING
Registered
Reaction score
Website
houseofpeppers.blogspot.com
Thanks for clearing things up guys, copyright issues didn't even occur to me (it's not a "serious work"). My bad. *slides under desk*

Click on Ambrosia's link, peoples! It's worth a read. :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Thanks for clearing things up guys, copyright issues didn't even occur to me (it's not a "serious work"). My bad. *slides under desk*

Click on Ambrosia's link, peoples! It's worth a read. :D
No worries - I'd have just sent a PM, but it's one of the things we're pretty continually trying to educate new writers about, around here. :)