Anyone re-query an agent/publisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryll

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

Here's my question: I've been actively looking for an agent for about 4 months now. Out of my pile of rejection slips, I have several who said they liked the premise of my novel but had to decline due to a full roster of clients. One in particular asked me to contact him again in six months if I hadn't found representation by then.

Should I re-query these other agents at some point? How long should I wait? And do I re-word the query letter to mention the agent's comments to me?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheryll

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert at mind reading -- rejection, yes/mind reading, no. Nonetheless, my gut feeling is that the "full roster" line is just a nice way of saying "no, thanks." If you haven't substantially reworked your novel -- i.e. improved it per expert suggestions -- I can't see why those agents would change their minds with the passage of time.

The only exception to this, however, is the agent who told you to contact him in six months -- take this man at his word, and do as he says. Definitely remind him at that time that you're resubmitting at his request ...

And be sure to query new agents!

Good luck --

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I got one of those "please re-query in six months" letters, only in my case it was six weeks. I've re-queried, but haven't yet heard anything back, so I can't tell you if it actually meant anything or not.

As for re-querying agents who haven't specifically requested it, I don't see how it can hurt. I've re-queried agents who rejected my query two years ago. Two "nos" still add up to "no," and there's at least the possibility that one of them could turn into a "yes," especially if your query letter has improved in the meantime.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sure. Agents don't play games. If they said, "contact me in six months" then contact them in six months (but not a DAY before!) For a full roster of clients, I'd wait at least nine months. By then, most of the other books on their desk will either have sold or have been returned (remember that an agent isn't a life appointment. If they can't sell one book, you'd better have another to sell if you want to keep him/her).

If you want to send a second letter, DON'T merely re-send the same query. You might try something like:

Dear Mrs. Smith,

On January 10, 2005, I submitted my query for MY DREAM BOOK to you for representation. In your letter of February 15, 2005 you indicated that while you had a full roster of clients, the premise interested you. You suggested that if I hadn't found representation in six months, you might be willing to take a second look.

If you would like to re-examine my query and synopsis, three sample chapters or the full manuscript at this time, please contact me. I look forward to your reply as I would be very interested in working with you.

Sincerely,
Cheryll

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy's suggestion is good. But I think you should add a one-sentence premise about your book. After all, six months is a long time and they might not remember what MY DREAM BOOK is about or remember that they requested it. The agent might get writers saying this all the time, when it isn't true. If you don't give them a clue, they might not believe it.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I've heard of people telling agents this, is all. But take it for what it is. After all, I don't have a book coming out from Tor. Not yet, anyway.

David

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Absolutely. If the agent said "thanks but no thanks" then move on. But if they say "contact me in six months" then go ahead (but do wait six months).

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Here's a puzzler. I've revamped a manuscript so much that, while still partly recognizable, it's really an entirely different story than it was two years ago, when I sent it out to agents.

So if I send it out now, do I mention, "Hey, you rejected me back in 2003, but I think you'll like this version better?" or do I just keep my trap shut and hope no one says, "Wait, this looks vaguely familiar, why are you sending it to me again?"

Status
Not open for further replies.