PDA

View Full Version : Seeking for reader for edgy YA

The_Ink_Goddess
07-28-2009, 03:28 PM
"The Other Side: Ethan wants to know what lies there. Heaven? Hell? God? He isn't sure he cares. All he knows is that he has to find out. Problem is, he has a rather unorthodox method of finding out. Over one long weekend in the middle of summer, accompanied by his best friend and sidekick, Lilly, he's going to put himself through as many near-death experiences as possible, in the hope of seeing something. Anything. Question is, why? The key to the mystery lies somewhere in the past of his unbalanced older sister, Elisa. However, as the attempts grow more and more dangerous, Ethan's regard for the lives of others plummet and the situation begins to spiral out of control. How far will he go before he goes too far?"

The word count is 34,561, so it's quite short. It's a first draft, so you might find a couple of spelling/grammar errors (I do my best to avoid those, though). The problem is, I'm terrible at spotting mistakes or inconsistencies in my own writing. I know it's not a perfect manuscript by any stretch of the imagination, but I really need someone else to point this out to me and my manuscript is infinitely stronger for it.

In a beta reader, I'd like someone who could mix the good with the bad - someone who can give me a feeling of, "Yeah! I can make this better by doing X, Y and Z", instead of, "Oh, God, this is crap, I'm hopeless, I can't write at all." So be constructive but be honest. I don't enjoy reading crit, but I have to and will be forever in your debt ;).

inkspatters
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I probably won't be able to read it fast because I'm super busy with school and another beta project at the moment, but I adore your idea and if you're not too pressed for time I'd love to read for you.

The_Ink_Goddess
07-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you! I don't mind about the time; obviously, the quicker, the better, but I'm just so thrilled to have some to beta-read for me that I don't mind at all :) How much do you want me to PM you?

inkspatters
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
A lot? Haha. I love your idea and edgy YA is one of my loves :)

5bcarnies
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I would love to help. The story sounds rather intriguing.

The_Ink_Goddess
07-30-2009, 10:35 PM
How much would you like to read? The first chapter? The first couple of chapters? I don't mind :) I'm so happy to have you both on board. Inkspatters, how does it sound if I send you the first 3 chapters a little later? :D

The_Ink_Goddess
07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Sorry to double-post, but I PMed the first 3 chapters to you, InkSpatters, and I think I've managed to mess it up *hides head in shame*. I put in line breaks, but there are none showing up on the sent copy of my message, and there are lot of font tags. Just tell me if it's screwed up and we can try again.

inkspatters
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it stuffed up a little, so I PM-ed you my email. I think it's easier to do crits in MS word if that's okay :)