Ouija Board Incident o_O

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My mother and I were using a Ouija board the other night - she's convinced there's a ghost in the house - and according to my memory, we did typical Ouija board nonsense for about twenty minutes before I conked out and went to bed.

Her memory of the event is about two hours longer, and involved a conversation with "Dionysus the Bull."

I'd be tempted to disbelieve her except for a few things:

(1 - I apparently took notes during this session, and there's a log that is definitely in my handwriting.

(2 - My mother has zero knowledge of Greek mythology and is as likely to prank me about Dionysus as Santa and the Toothfairy are likely to meet a good lawyer.

(3 - I'm actually starting to remember bits and pieces of the missing time.

So, according my mother (who keeps changing her story) and to my record (which does not), the Ouija board said I wouldn't remember that evening.

I'm a bit creeped out about the entire thing.

Especially since, apparently, the Ouija Board Entity (TM) gave her specific, unprompted instructions, and since she is willfully ignoring them or changing them at her heart's content.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
It would creep me out as well. I grew up using Ouija boards often. As a young adult - just out of college - I had an experience that turned me off them forever and I got rid of mine (actually burned it). My experience was similar to yours in that my brother and I had a session that lasted a lot longer than we thought it did, verified by my mom who was somewhat freaked out. There were also some other weird details that made us believe that we had somehow connected up with evil and it was more than enough to say, okay, done with it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
rid the house of the board and do a cleansing.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ouija boards can be dangerous things. There are many reasons for that, but the biggest ones to me are:

1. You can not control what comes through.

2. You can not be certain that what is there is truthful.

3. You can't be sure that it's gone when you think it is gone.

I know some pretty strong individuals with lifetimes of experience and metaphysical practice who can more than hold their own when dealing with different sorts of entities. None of them will touch a Ouija board for those reasons.

I think many of us have played with them before. Hopefully it's not a habit. Sometimes, getting rid of something that is there takes a whole lot more than just a cleansing. Ever try a banishing? Not fun. (Says the chick with the burn scar on her leg as a medal for her stupidity.)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to use a Ouija Board. I'm not sure I would believe it even if I were though.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Did you know there is a sure way to invoke a ghost?

It's easy:

1.- Grab a mirror.
2.- Turn off all lights in the rooms.
3.- Hold a candle, which'll be the only source of light.
4.- With the mirror in one hand and the candle in the other, start spinning in your spot, chanting "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary..."
5.- You'll see her evil face right over your shoulder.

The secret is,
there's no ghost at all. The face you see is the natural conclusion of the dizziness and poor light, but most of all, your thinking about the ghost.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also not allowed to do that. :(

We can't do anything fun. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Your ouija squeegee gave me the heebee jeebies.

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Um . . . I was always told NEVER to burn the board, because destruction of the gateway would fuse the portal open. Maybe my source was wrong, but . . . something to consider before destroying your board.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw Ouija boards at Wal-Mart. Damn, which of those evil inventions came first?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
It's just important to remember that your garden variety cleansing might not always be enough. And you should know how to banish in that case. Better yet, don't mess with them. :D

Then again, lots of us have messed with them.

A friend of mine had something similar to a ouija. Not sure what it was called. Maybe a spirit board? Anyway, we had a little more wine than we should have, and we got the board out. Mind you, I was probably 32 or 33 at the time, so I should have known better.

We knew something was definitely going on because this didn't have an ordinary planchette--it was a circle--and the circle was spinning under our fingers. Whatever it was, it wanted us to believe it was my sister's late husband. I have never really believed it was, though.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I can remember using one at a slumber party with a bunch of girlfriends when we were about 13. The freakiest thing was my mother's cat went from a sound slumber to tearing out of the room like her tail was on fire about 5 minutes after we started. (And no, we weren't being shrieky teenage girls at that point. That changed reaaal fast.)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Um....you don't remember almost 2 hours??? What were you drinking?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I knew there was something wrong with Ouija Boards. I'm just getting into magick and divination and I won't touch one. It's kind of an instinctive thing with me. I'll stick to my Tarot cards and maybe get a set of Runes but just spelling out the word "Ouija" frightens me for some reason.

Also, I can thank my Spirit Guides for warning me never to let another spirit enter my body with the exception of possibly themselves and one other spirit, who I am still leery of letting into me just yet. So letting a spirit come into me from a divination board would be one of the worst things I could do, judging only from my feelings and what my Spirit Guides have said to me. Those are some of the reasons I won't use one... although my former GF really wants one badly, one of the wooden ones instead of the plastic versions. I don't talk to my former GF anymore, and I hope for her sake she doesn't get one.

flutecrafter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ancientcrossroads.org
Ouija boards can be dangerous things. There are many reasons for that, but the biggest ones to me are:

1. You can not control what comes through.

2. You can not be certain that what is there is truthful.

3. You can't be sure that it's gone when you think it is gone.

I know some pretty strong individuals with lifetimes of experience and metaphysical practice who can more than hold their own when dealing with different sorts of entities. None of them will touch a Ouija board for those reasons.

I think many of us have played with them before. Hopefully it's not a habit. Sometimes, getting rid of something that is there takes a whole lot more than just a cleansing. Ever try a banishing? Not fun. (Says the chick with the burn scar on her leg as a medal for her stupidity.)
Gotta agree with ya ma'am.

Bartholomew... my advice is to get rid of it.

mark