PDA

View Full Version : Advice on E-Mail Lists

amboyle73
07-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build up an e-mail list for promotion and marketing?

Thanks in advance!

Ann B.

veinglory
07-28-2009, 06:47 AM
The simplest way is to ask. On my website I offer to place people on a new release notification list. And you know what, they email and ask to be put on it. It's like magic. ;) Anything else they might want to know is on the site or the blog.

Nandi
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I think one thing that you don't want to do is to join or pay for a service that spams your e-mail announcement into unsuspecting e-mail inboxes.

Michael Davis
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I run contests for my books. All submitters get put on my email list. Few times a year I run contests just for those on my email list which generally keeps em interested. I always give the option to be removed each time I send out an announcement and I try to keep it in frequent (few times a year). Only 1% of my list has asked to be removed and I'm up to over 800.

ColoradoMom
08-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a pretty good e-mail list and I built it by giving our free stuff. Almost evryone gives out free stuff but I give out free unit studies (like a mini-workbook on a specific topic) for homeschoolers. Plus, I give out 4 new ones every month, while I put last month's on sale in my store.

You can find free stuff, like public domain, or you can make free stuff. If you want to see an example of a writer who knows how to do e-mail marketing I suggest:
http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/index.php

This guy "gets it" and I bet he is making a nice little bit of cash with his list and site.

In addition I advertise my freebie newlsetter sign up page on other very popular homeschool websites and in their cooresponding newsletters.

I use iContact for my service - it allows you to make the sign up form and send out your newsletter with cool templates - but there are a ton of others out there. If I had to choose again I'd go with Constant Contact because they have more templates in my area (education). But it took me an entire day to get everything just right with iContact, and I don't feel like doing it again.

There is actualy a "science" to this e-mail marketing stuff. Look at this page for some basics on how it works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_page

If you want to purchase a product to help you learn how to build a list I'd recommend Marlon Sanders - he's pretty good - I got his "Amazing Formula" and it helped me a lot. You can do a search for his name and find what you need. I just won a contest on his blog for best review of his product! I got a free copy of his Promotion Dashboard and it does have some pretty cool info in it.

Anyway - I have about 1400 subscribers to my list and I started building it in late January. Not bad considering I only have a sign up form on 2 of my website pages (out of 200). And it is true; secret is in the list. Everytime I send out a newsletter I make sales - I sent one out on the 17 and I've made about $600 since then. Maybe more. I deposited $900 in my bank account this week but I had a couple hundred at PayPal already.

Marlon calls that "makin' bux".

SandraBeckwith
08-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Wow, great information here, especially in Colorado Mom's post! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sandy