Queried for one thing, agent asking about another

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I queried an agent for a SF story. The day they asked for a partial, I was offered a contract with a small publisher for another story entirely (fantasy). I did mention it to the agent but didn't go into much details, as I really wasn't sure how appropriate it was at this point. I also haven't finalized anything with the publisher at this point.

The agent responded, asking if maybe it would be pertinent for me to give some details about that (meaning the story/offer, I guess). I'm not sure how to respond to that. I mean, do I just include a synopsis or do I mention the publisher or what???

Getting representation for the fantasy novel and the science fiction would be great, but I don't want to seem to be pitching for two things at the same time. I don't want to screw this up!

Any advice?

Danthia

He asked you, so you're not pitching or screwing anything up. If you're unsure what he wants, just ask. You have an offer in hand, and it's common for authors to contact agents and tell them that so they can have the agent negotiate the terms on the deal. (and continue to represent them of course).

If this is an agent you'd like to be with, and you feel comfortable sharing the publishing deal info, tell him. If he likes your work and you have a deal in hand, you could get an offer and jump a step in the process.

It's also okay to contact other agents you'd like to work with and tell them you have an offer and see if they're interested in representing you. Not every agent will want to see more, as most want to love your work before taking you on, but it's an opportunity for both sides.

And grats on the offer :) That's fantastic.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
What Danthia said, and remember you also want them to love your work, as a long-term relationship generally works best when the agent believes in her/his client.

You're in a great position to find an agent, though, with an offer waiting to be negotiated. Use that in all your queries. Some agents don't mind a phone call when that is the case as well.

Let us know how it turns out!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Right now you have the world by the tail, so to speak. That is, if you have a definite deal lined up with a publisher for one of your books -- do you? - are you waiting for a firm offer from the publisher and a contract? - exactly where do you now stand with this publisher?

Nevertheless, assuming all is good with the publisher, you are a great position to land a really good agent. If you can tell this and other prospective agents that you have a publisher's contract in hand, ready to be signed, and another completed work for them to work on, you are likely to do quite well. The reasons for this have already been mentioned by Danthia.

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I'll agonize over this some more and answer them. I did drop in a quick line letting them know that basically, I didn't really know what to do!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I did drop in a quick line letting them know that basically, I didn't really know what to do!

To be frank, I wouldn't have sent the type of note you refer to, be it to the publisher or agent or both. Why display uncertainty or negativity at a time when neither is called for? If you truly want an agent, and agree that this is the best time to get one, go hell bent for the next 2-3 weeks and spend your time doing so. I don't think you'll have a problem if in writing you have a commitment from the publisher that they want to publish your book and proceed as quickly as possible to sign you to a contract. That they are simply waiting on you to say "go." Most agents will salivate over such a letter knowing they already have a writer who will get published and knowing that they can strike a better deal than you can. Meanwhile, tell the publisher that you are contracting with an agent to rep you (remember, I'm assuming you made the decision to have an agent rep you) will decide who that will be in the next couple of weeks, and in the meantime would they please send you the contract for review.

Good luck.

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
Scope, I simply said I hadn't been sure how appropriate it would be for me to insist on the other novel without him requesting anything first.:)
I know agents are looking for deals and stuff, but at the same time, I didn't want to push unless I was sure he wanted to hear more about it. And he does!

Thank you all for your comments; it's helped me write him back a confident note.

I never expected to find myself in this position, so I was totally unprepared. The publisher is really small, so it might not turn out to be a huge thing after all, but it's certainly worth a try.