Cat skin conditions

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Anyone know anything about cats and possible causes for skin conditions? We've noticed one of ours has odd lumps on his skin. They're hard to see through his fur. They feel a bit like old scabs (which is a pleasant mental picture, I know) and he sometimes gets tiny bits of dark, hard material in his fur. We brush him regularly, he eats without problem and doesn't sleep any more than a normal cat. Obviously we can take him to the vet but if this is normal, I'd rather spare him the stress. Both our cats are indoor cats and the other one is fine so he hasn't caught something from another cat.

Any ideas, people?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Several possible causes.

One could be food allergies. They can be allergic to anything from chicken to wheat, just like humans.

Another possible cause, fleas. A flea bath would help if that was the case. I do not recommend OTC flea treatments, many do more harm than good

Hyperthryroid can be the problem.

A vet visit for blood work can rule out hyperthyroid and any other systemic condition that can cause skin problems.

Good luck

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't think it's fleas. Not seen any on him or when we brush him. Plus they don't scratch an unusual amout. Could be a food issue. I'll try him on a fish diet rather than meat.
Thanks. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Our cat had something similar and we switched to Purina rice and lamb and it cleared up.

The lamb's arent happy about it though.