PDA

View Full Version : Medals - British Army

firedrake
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
My Google-Fu is failing here.

In my WIP, the MC has been wounded in Afghanistan and resigns his Commission in the British Army. During the incident in which he was wounded, he did something that earned him the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

What I need to know are the practicalities of him receiving the medal.

Would he be notified? if so, how?
How long after the incident would he be likely be notified?
If he doesn't go to a presentation ceremony, does it get sent in the post?

gaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

MattW
07-26-2009, 11:47 PM
My Google-Fu is failing here.

In my WIP, the MC has been wounded in Afghanistan and resigns his Commission in the British Army. During the incident in which he was wounded, he did something that earned him the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

What I need to know are the practicalities of him receiving the medal.

Would he be notified? Of course. Unless the medal was for Inconspicuous Gallantry.

if so, how?
How long after the incident would he be likely be notified?
If he doesn't go to a presentation ceremony, does it get sent in the post?
Even though he resigned, he would still be on record. I imagine a written notice would be the minimum, possibly a visit from a former CO or local base commander.

If the gallantry were truly conspicuous, he might expect a visit from the press - single local reporter looking for a local story, all the way up to international media swarm.

Or, you could look here for a start:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/MedalPolicy.htm

The advice to those still waiting for a medal who have since left the service is to call the Enquiry Centre to either check that that their former unit submitted a claim on their behalf, or to advise of a change of address so that, when ready, the medal can be sent to the correct place. Serving and Reserve personnel should contact their unit admin staff.

firedrake
07-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Thank you! That's just what I was looking for.