Getting Permission to use primary documents in articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
Okay, I am planning to write a series on the French Revolution and want to include quotes from primary documents. I've found some excellent primary documents taken from that time published and translated into English on the internet but do not know if they are for the public domain or whether I have to contact someone to get permission to use those documents.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would give me some advice here. Thanks a bunch.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Logically, everything from that period should be in public domain but I'd contact them anyway and ask for their permission simply because it's a nice thing to do, and send them a copy of the article after it's published. That's what I do, normally.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Food for thought: The primary document itself may be in the public domain, but I don't know if there would be restrictions on the translation, which is presumably much more recent.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would also wonder about the translation, that might be more recent. However if you are using only a small portion it might fall under fair use.

Status
Not open for further replies.