Simple breads

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, in my latest fantasy WIP I have two characters residing in a mountain cabin from autumn to spring, and I was wondering what I could have them eat besides prey animals.

Can someone suggest simple breads or cakes that people have made throughout history, from materials that can be gathered in the wild? The cabin is in a European-esque climate, and the bread (or whatever) would need to be prepared over an open fire.

I also have them killing wild goats for food, so they could use the fat from their bodies in cooking.

It certainly wouldn't hurt if the other materials can be gathered up and stored through the snowy months.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Speaking of flatbreads, I've made bannocks over a campfire. They come out pretty well.

But here are questions:

What do you mean by growing in the wild? I don't think breads exist pre-agriculture; I'm pretty sure any cereals that grew wild bear no resemblance at all to what you and I would recognize as such -- ours are all the result of thousands of years of cultivation. And while they might grow themselves in an abandoned place where they haven't been cultivated for a while, they'd be very hard to harvest.

And -- European-esque covers mediterranean to arctic climates. What kind of mountain climate is this? That will determine what types of grain grow there (and whether it'll be possible to cultivate some, and whether it can be milled to get wheat at all. Maybe you'd get oats, though like the rest it'd be weird to get them without thousands of years of cultivation; still, it seems to me oatmeal might be possible at lower tech.)

Have you considered some sort of edible leaf?

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Check North American Indian recipes. They used "flour" made from things like cat tail tubers and even nuts. I never read Euell Gibbons "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" but I think it was about foods that could be found in the wild. Puma

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of flatbreads, I've made bannocks over a campfire. They come out pretty well.

But here are questions:

What do you mean by growing in the wild? I don't think breads exist pre-agriculture; I'm pretty sure any cereals that grew wild bear no resemblance at all to what you and I would recognize as such -- ours are all the result of thousands of years of cultivation. And while they might grow themselves in an abandoned place where they haven't been cultivated for a while, they'd be very hard to harvest.

Well, here I go exposing my ignorance yet again . . .

And -- European-esque covers mediterranean to arctic climates. What kind of mountain climate is this? That will determine what types of grain grow there
Whoops. Well, think southern France, or so.

Have you considered some sort of edible leaf?
Hmm. Well, like I said, they're going to stay there for the three or four months of winter, with maybe two months of snow. I just imagine they'd want to eat something other than smoked goatmeat. I like the idea for edible leafs, but any such would of course wither and die in the frost.

I guess I might have one of the characters make a foray into civilization to buy oats.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
If they have any agriculture and grow a little wheat or oats, they can have wheat or oat cereal. Also, some plants, like kale, grow beneath the snow. That's some of what deer live on in the winter. Midwest pioneers would eat venison and kale in the winter.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
If the cabin had re-furbished stores they could eat quite well of things like dry beans, and other dry goods. A lot of times people who use cabins leave food for the next user. If there has been forthought in provisioning there might be dried vegetables from the previous year. There is also wild weeds and things-- some are edible. Goosefoot in this area is an edible green, and wild onion or chive is common almost everywhere. Dandilions are edible and very good for you. Srawberry fruit and leaf. Acorn bread is made by the Indians in various places if oaks are found in your area. Wild asperagus, berries, honey, millet, cattails, also edible. Sunflower seeds. An ice plant type weed I see everywhere is edible. Amaranth, pricly pear cactii, Tree ears (a Fungus). various mushroom but beware-- must know which. -- I have been looking into edible roadside plants since I was young and would be able to survive in the wilderness -- probably without ever killing an animal. So it depends on where you are, the season, what is available in your ecosystem.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and don't forget root vegetables. A lot of the roots used in herbology were also used as food in North America, for sure. If they'd have anything like potatos, they could make great blini-like bread.

And berries, of course. We still eat wild grapes, blackberries, and cherries.

Don't they have rabbits or birds there ;) ? Hard to catch, maybe, but yummy!

eta: oops, didn't notice winter. Those berries are better to make candles, but there may be some edible ones. Tubers should still be fine.

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I noticed that I had the whole topic wrong. You were talking about bread only? Well, you need a grain. Johnny cakes, a corn pancake is good if you have corn. Buckwheat is a good high protien bread if you have buckwheat. So you grind the grain. add an egg, some milk or water and then fry it with a little fat. Everyone knows Tortillias and pancakes. They are the best known unleven breads. Some people put a bit of baking powder in them. but it is really not necessary. you can also make noodles with just flour egg and water. As far as how to get an egg. Try to capture a breeding pair of geese. (geese because they have big eggs and are big hardy birds). They will also clip your lawn for you.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget dried meat or fish like pemmicin or jerky which can be eaten plain or made into soups and stews. You can have dried fruit and berries. There may also be berries still on bushes, although they'll be frozen.

Root veggies like potatoes keep well in cool spaces (like a cellar).

Even herbs and mushrooms can be dried and reconstituted.

Just so you'll know, we use our back porch as a walk-in freezer in the winter. If I make a pot of soup, I take it out there right away and it's frozen in about an hour or two.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
This is the order:

Beer
Agriculture
Bread

As mentioned, most grains can't grow in the wild. Most grains are in the grass family, and grow annually from seed. They grow mostly in places where there's been fire and will not grow for more than a year or two before they are overtaken by trees.

You can make a pancake-like bread from many things, including nuts, buckwheat (which is a seed, not actually a grain), cattails, and wild cereal seeds, but you can only make normal bread from cereals which contain gluten, and I don't think there's much that grows wild that can be used to make bread. It's far more likely that they'd just boil the grains and eat them like rice, but really, under the circumstances I think they'd just eat meat and any vegetables they can find--nuts, berries, apples, mushrooms, even pine needles.

And it's worth noting that many of the foods mentioned here are New World and were not found in pre-Colombian Europe, if that's a part of your fantasy rules.

daehedr

Registered
Reaction score
In North America and South America the indigeneous peoples used dried corn known to the Europeans as flint or cattle corn - which they cooked using a process known as lying (using lye from wood ash) or liming (Aztec- nixtamal). The resulting product was used as food in soups and stews and cracked and ground to make a cornmeal used for flat breads. It wasn't until europeans arrived in N.A. that they put names to the stuff (ie: hominy, grits, masa etc). Prior to corn cultivation corn grew wild throughout N.A but it was a flint corn too hard on the teeth so they came up with ways to use it. I have a raft of material on the process and how it was and still is done if you are interested.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to check out William Rubel's The Magic of Fire book. It's a cookbook geared specifically for cooking over a fire in a fireplace. Also google "Open Hearth Cooking". You should be able to find stuff, like bread, but also cooking over a fire in general.

One bread recipe I vaguely remember is flour (wheat), salt and water mixed together then baked on the coals.

If your MC's are able to find onions, they can be rolled directly into the coals and cooked that way. You could tell they were done if they "whistled" when you held them close to your ear.

Also, you don't really cook directly over the fire unless you're cooking soups and such. Most hearth cooking would have the fire over on one side of the hearth/fireplace, and scrape coals over to the other side under the pans, etc. Meat would be skewered and hooked on one side of the fire, not directly over it. Treat it like a rotissarrie - it should be kept turning so that it roasts on all sides. Have a pan underneath to catch the drippings which can be used later for either candles or gravies.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
If your MC's are able to find onions, they can be rolled directly into the coals and cooked that way. You could tell they were done if they "whistled" when you held them close to your ear..

Hmm, onions . . .

Could my characters store wild onions somehow, with the limited facilities they have? Dry them, grill them, whatever?

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps grow some bean sprouts/plants? That'll both give them some greens and more beans to use as porriage/bread grains. I'm sure they'd also have a water bucket by the fire to melt snow for both drinking, cooking and washing up.

Other ideas for food items are pine needles for tea - a good source of vitamin C actually. And if they find wild onions, perhaps they could also find some wild garlic, a good medicinal plant as well as flavoring.

I would also suggest you go to your local nature center, if there's one in your area, and see about wild edible plant ideas. I know one 30 minutes from me has classes on wild, edible plants as well as plant dyes, or had them in the past.

Also, if your MC's are hunting wild goats for food, they might also follow them to see where the animals are feeding. Might find another source of greens.

Last edited: