PDA

View Full Version : Seeking betas for My Name is Death -- YA Urban Fantasy

inkspatters
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to beta read my YA urban fantasy novel, MY NAME IS DEATH for me and comment on things like flow, characterisation and voice.

I'm going to paste my latest try at a query below so you have some idea what it's about. Please PM me or leave a message below if you're interested. Thanks :)

Blake Deakin was seven when his dying grandmother gave him a dusty blue coat with two strange books in the pockets. He’s been the Grim Reaper ever since.

Now seventeen, Blake’s classmates are busy finding prom dates while he juggles Calculus homework with harvesting any soul, at anytime. The little old lady across the street, his best friend’s father, or the girl he loves. Everyone is fair game, including Blake himself.

When Fate decides it’s his time to kick the bucket, Blake refuses to lay down and die. He tries to fight Fate – who’s taken on the form of a beautiful woman named Eve. Socking Fate in the face isn’t going to work, so Blake goes for the subtler option of blackmail. But that’s not very effective against telepathic immortals either, and Blake quickly realises Eve has him trapped.

As he struggles to accept his impending death he realizes he’s not just the grim reaper, he’s a person too. He has two separate identities and thinks he may also have two souls, but Eve’s the only one who can confirm his theory, and she’s been itching for his blood ever since the blackmail incident

Blake decides to seize his one chance to live and tries to kill only the reaper part of his soul, but there’s no guarantee it’ll work, and Eve’s just waiting to grind his nuisance of a soul to dust beneath her red stiletto heel.

PoppysInARow
07-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I like, I like! I'd be willing to read it for you, since this looks as though it's going to be published with no problem, and I'm greedy and like to read things first.

I'm not that great at grammar, or whatever, and the things I usually do mention are nitpicky. But I can help with character and definately voice.

If you'd like my opinion, could you send me your first chapter? That way I can see if I'll be any help at all, or if you're above my knowledge.

katiemac
07-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Ink, I can look at a few chapters (I make no promises about a full manuscript unless we both think it's working out). PM me if you still need betas.

LadyCatalyst
07-26-2009, 08:18 AM
If you're still looking for betas, I'd like to read this MS.
E-mail of PM me :)
Kate

inkspatters
07-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys, sending you all PMs.