PDA

View Full Version : Russian Orthodox secret societies

Ruth2
07-25-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm looking for a counterpart in the Russian Orthodox church-- or any Eastern Othrodox church-- to Opus Dei. I know about the Khlysty and the Skoptzy; I'm thinking of something more "demon-chasing", more warrior-like.

Does anyone know of such a group?

Thanks, y'all!

backslashbaby
07-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I can give you the e-mail of someone very knowledgeable about Greek Orthodoxy, if that would help. LMK.

Ruth2
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks, backslashbaby! I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm looking for an organization that would be attached to a church that uses Old Church Slavonic.

DavidZahir
07-25-2009, 08:08 AM
I've found some people do equate the Freemasons with Eastern Orthodoxy, oddly enough.

An article that might help: Orthodox Fascism (http://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/rusorthfascism.html)

Ravenlocks
07-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm Eastern Orthodox, was Russian Orthodox for a while, and while I can't claim to know copious amounts of church history, I haven't heard of any similar societies. My feeling is they're more of a Catholic thing.

Samantha's_Song
07-25-2009, 12:08 PM
The Freemasons were born of the Knights Templar, The army of God, so you couldn't get a better group than The Knights Templar if you want warriors. Also, there would be the Cathars. - P.S. I'd want to read your novel if you have elements of these in it, so if later on you want a beta reader, give me a knock. :)

I've found some people do equate the Freemasons with Eastern Orthodoxy,

Samantha's_Song
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
BTW Ruth, if you've had any ideas from Dan Brown's, The DaVinci Code, scrap that piece of junk and get ourself a copy of, The holy blood and the holy grail, and give yourself a lot of time to read it. It's a great book, I've read it twice, and you'll find just where D.B nicked all his stuff from.

Ruth2
07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey all, thanks for the responses!

Samantha's Song-- Oh yes, 'tis a lot of fiction in Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. Fun to read but ... eh. And all that bloodline stuff has been around for ages. I remember hearing about it as a kid and I was pretty sheltered. Thanks for the offer on beta-ing. I'll let you know how all this progresses.

Ravenlocks-- Mainly a Catholic thing, eh? Oh well, I was hoping but .. c'est la vie. If it doesn't work out this way, I'll see how I can work around it.

DavidZahir: Thanks, David. I'll look into that. Freemasons and Eastern Orthodoxy? That's a new one for me. Wow.

Thanks, y'all!

raburrell
07-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Depending on how fictional you want to go, you might look into the concept of a starets. (Rasputin is thought to have been one by some). The term generally has a positive connotation as a spiritual advisor to the people, but a group of starets gone wrong has possibilities.

Ruth2
07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Now that's a thought.... starets... Rasputin... hmm, get a bunch of folks together like Rasputin and you could have all sorts of possibilities...

Thanks for the idea, raburrell! I'll play with it and see how it goes.

errantruth
07-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Don't know much re this. The only "alternate" group I recall is the Old Believers. On Wiki they mention some interesting sects. Not sure... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Believers

Ruth2
07-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Thanks, errantruth! That was really interesting!