y'all still writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you're well and those queries been hitting their mark. Lots of you seem to be still writing up a storm, which is cool.

So what is it that keeps you going? Considering the print publishing business is not as keen to take on new authors as last year... or the one before, or...

Just asking. Maybe it'll help me get back the ol' pep.

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
I have this nightmare.
A drunk blows through a red light. I'm the guy he hits. I spend the last few minutes of my existence coughing up blood in a mangled car while the fourth chapter of my WIP waits at home, a cursor blinking patiently beside the last period I typed.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Angelinity... please don't harsh my realm...

I once read that publishing is NOT like the lottery, where only a certain percentage of writers are going to "win" - ie., get published. A good book gets agents excited, gets publishers excited, gets authors published.

I strive to write a good book that will get an agent and a publisher excited.

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
Still chuggin' away. I'm on one of those high notes right now, where you learn some new fact that you think will change everything and make it all better. Of course, I realize it's not that easy, but I am feeling a lot more positive now. Now I'm actually going to try and deliver my value as well as create it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new author who got a book deal this year, after years in the trenches, so my advice is to keep going. Forget the economy, keep writing.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I have this nightmare.
A drunk blows through a red light. I'm the guy he hits. I spend the last few minutes of my existence coughing up blood in a mangled car while the fourth chapter of my WIP waits at home, a cursor blinking patiently beside the last period I typed.

Fourth chapter?

Do you write like 15,000 word chapters because chap 4 isn't very far in the book.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried to quit. Twice that I know of. My characters and soon-to-be characters just laugh at me and take bets on how long it'll be before I start writing again. I'm their slave, what can I say. Can't complain though, I enjoy telling their stories too much to stop.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
The knowledge that this is the only thing I'm any good at.

This is sort of it, for me... except that I can be good at lots of things. I'm pretty smart, I can excel at most things if I apply myself and put the effort in...

The thing is, I am lazy and hate effort. Writing is one of the few things I don't have to really work at. Don't get me wrong--I do work at improving, it is a slog to write something large, and it is serious work, but at the end of the day, writing itself on a basic level is very easy for me, and so I enjoy it for that.

It's one of those "well, fuck, I have a talent for only this one thing, might as well do it" things.

Barrett

Registered
Reaction score
Fourth chapter?

Do you write like 15,000 word chapters because chap 4 isn't very far in the book.

Exactly, not very far at all.
I'm more worried of having something stop me at the beginning so that there's no hope of anyone understanding it. A nearly finished work would be just as horrifying, but at least the larger picture would be discernable.

It's right when I get my feet under me, when I really feel I've got something going, that I get a tad nervous.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a lucky man*. I don't have to write as a means of financial support or supplement. I don't have to write to satisfy a need for developing and expressing creativity (day job supplies that). I don't have to write to gain the joy of creative accomplishment (day job again). This makes it very liberating to say that writing fiction and poetry continues to be a unique intellectual challenge that involves a different kind of creativity, one that spawns the same desire to actively learn and to accomplish. Also, it's still great fun.

*I didn't fall into my day-work, nor was it given to me. Becoming a lucky man required that I work my ass off to find that "luck." And it's ongoing. Being a lucky man means I found something I love so that "ass-off work" is desirable and easy to embrace. And now that I'm writing, I can say I've found two somethings to love, which means two things worth dedication of my creative abilities (such as they are) and of my hard work.

In response to the question, "Why do you write?" I frequently see the response, "I can't not write." I CAN not write. My motivation to write is just as strong as anyone else's, but it's the complement to motivation, the desire to write (there is a subtle difference), that keeps it all going for me. If those two (motivation and desire) are found, Angel, you are back.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if that comment was for me, and I don't really see where there is a sour grapes sentiment in my post. What I was trying to say is if we strip off all of the dreams of financial gain (not everyone is in it for the money, although money would be nice), all of the desire for acknowledgement of our creativity (not all need this as well), what is left is probably much the same in all of us--the desire to write. And that can wax and wane. If that desire is re-discovered and motivation is there, one will write.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The interesting thing is that I think the plot to my UNFINISHED 2nd novel is more interesting/original than my completed novel (that I am querying). GAH.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's just like our resident Sage says,
I promise you faithfully, there isn't a publisher anywhere whose rejection slips read, "Sorry! Too well-written and original for us!" -James D. MacDonald
Ergo, as long as we write well, and don't make carbon copies of other books, there is no presumable reason to stop writing.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
feeling much better today--an excerpt from my novel has been accepted by a literary print mag. at least some of it shall shall know print. hehe.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I've had to put my writing on hold while I get my boss' new website out of the way. I'm rusty at website development and I don't enjoy it at all. If I write, I know I'll put off the website and it's already taken too long. My motivation lays entirely with the reward of writing at the end.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
In response to the question, "Why do you write?" I frequently see the response, "I can't not write." I CAN not write. My motivation to write is just as strong as anyone else's, but it's the complement to motivation, the desire to write (there is a subtle difference), that keeps it all going for me. If those two (motivation and desire) are found, Angel, you are back.

And if I can completely agree with one other thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.