Pay it forward Friday

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
So I am stuck at home with the flu. It started two days ago and I've now missed two days of work. Well, I've been feeling a bit closed in and thought, Oh I know, I'll go get something at the pharmacy and starbucks.

Now, I know that Starbucks probably isn't the best choice given my tummy bug but I just wanted something cold and well, coffee. So I pull up to the window to pay for my order ( a venti sized caramel frappaccino --double blended, no whip cream and a cranberry orange scone) when the barrista tells me that the lady in the mini van who was in front of me, paid for my order and told me she was paying it forward.

Evidently, she does it every friday without fail when she goes through Starbucks. I almost started to cry I was so touched by the gesture. How silly is that?

I just love random acts of kindness. So I paid for the person behind me. It made my day. It probably is something that Starbucks encourages but I've been through there on many a Friday and never heard of it before.

So, I just had to share it. That's all. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've done that too...it's so much fun. And it's so liberating...because you don't see the reaction. You just pay for their stuff and leave. And you know you caused a stranger to smile. (-;

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I love when people do stuff like that. The first time it happened to me, I was so confused, it almost didn't dawn on me to pay for the guy behind me.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Voyager! Long time no see! :) I had to ask the barrista to repeat what she said, I couldn't believe it.

I think we need a pay it forward every day. Imagine what a difference it could make. And I don't just mean at Starbucks. Though free coffee is always a bonus! :D I actually felt guilty, my order was more than the person behind me.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
There was a morning show on the radio where people would encourage paying for the person behind you in any drive thru. Then people would call in and talk about doing it. I love the idea, but I'm rarely in a drive thru.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I actually felt guilty, my order was more than the person behind me.

You have to remember that it has absolutely nothing to do with money whatsoever. The person behind you was going to spend the money anyway, right. What you gave them was a feeling of joy. That's priceless...and it doesn't matter if it cost you less than it cost the last person.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
You have to remember that it has absolutely nothing to do with money whatsoever. The person behind you was going to spend the money anyway, right. What you gave them was a feeling of joy. That's priceless...and it doesn't matter if it cost you less than it cost the last person.
You know, I have to admit that I felt the same way as Cass because my order was pretty big. But it made me feel so happy all day that I probably shouldn't have let that bother me, huh?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm all for the idea, although in my case it has a "self serving" side.

When things aren't going right it has become a nice way to kind of reboot my kharma.

Do something nice for someone you don't know, at random.

Don't know why, but it works.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for the idea, although in my case it has a "self serving" side.

When things aren't going right it has become a nice way to kind of reboot my kharma.

Do something nice for someone you don't know, at random.

Don't know why, but it works.
I can't help but wonder darlin', if that's because you feel so much better about yourself that it shows and people respond to your much improve countenance. :) Works for me.

It lifts me up when I am really discouraged. About three weeks ago I went and helped at a dry packing cannery. It was an awesome experience and because I knew the food was going to be given to people in need, I felt like I was making a difference.

I love that feeling when it seems my life is out of control.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i usually pull up to the window, turn around and wave at the person behind me, say "thank you" just as the cashier comes to help me. i get my coffee and say that my friend is going to pay for me.

it's rewarding but i can see where this whole pay it forward idea might be better.
:D

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
That is so neat. I would have been all teary-eyed, too. Hubby has been laid off work for two months and just started working this week. I think I'll have to do this for someone this weekend to celebrate our good fortune.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
i usually pull up to the window, turn around and wave at the person behind me, say "thank you" just as the cashier comes to help me. i get my coffee and say that my friend is going to pay for me.

it's rewarding but i can see where this whole pay it forward idea might be better.
:D
LOL...You're such a RAT! I doubt you do that. Now get in your closet and stay there. ;)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
batteries can't drive cars.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
how do you pay it forward without knowing how much the order will be?

seems financially irresponsible to me.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

You get up to the window and you ask what the person behind you ordered...how much their order costs. And you ask to pay it...and tell the cashier to ask the driver behind you to pay it forward.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score

They don't expect you to do it. If you can, you can. If all you have is the amount you were going to pay for your own order, then you can give them that much.

For me, that's the least I would do. And I did ask how much the order of the person was behind me.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
oh...and for the driver behind you to pay it forward...it doesn't mean that they pay for the person behind them. it means they should just try to do a good deed for a different stranger. Even opening a door and smiling...anything that will uplift a stranger.

it's important to remember that pay it forward really doesn't have anything to do with money.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
You get up to the window and you ask what the person behind you ordered...how much their order costs. And you ask to pay it...and tell the cashier to ask the driver behind you to pay it forward.

Ohhh! That makes sense.

LOL. Can you tell that I haven't been through a drive thru in years?

That didn't even occur to me haha.