PDA

View Full Version : When agents ask for sample pages included with the query...?

chocowrites
07-24-2009, 08:31 PM
For sample pages via email that are included with the query, do you need a title page, and page numbers/headers? How does that work if they want you to paste it into the body of the email? And if they say they want sample pages attached to the query, do they mean Word attachment?

Thanks, I'm just unsure, and I don't want to screw anything up.

RainbowDragon
07-25-2009, 05:00 AM
I send them in the body of the e-mail after the contact information, like so

[Centered] Title
[Centered] by me
[blank line]
[Centered] Chapter 1
[blank line]
First paragraph not indented and single-spaced, left-justified only, with no page numbers or anything fancy, in a standard 12-pt font (Times New Roman or Courier unless the agent has a preference).
[blank line]
Second paragraph, same format as the first, and continue in this fashion to the end of the chapter.
[blank line]
[Centered] Chapter 2 (if sample desired was more than one chapter)
[blank line]
Rinse and repeat.

No attachments unless requested (when they say "attached to query" assume they mean following the query unless they specifically mention wanting it in a file). Hope that helps!

chocowrites
07-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Thanks so much!

suki
07-26-2009, 04:58 AM
For sample pages via email that are included with the query, do you need a title page, and page numbers/headers? How does that work if they want you to paste it into the body of the email? And if they say they want sample pages attached to the query, do they mean Word attachment?

Thanks, I'm just unsure, and I don't want to screw anything up.

They do want them pasted into the body of the email. When they want pages as an attachment, they will specify attachment. (Now partials of one or more chapters are usually attachments, but best to ask if just one chapter is requested).

The pages you paste into your email should be stripped of all formatting. No indents, no italics or underlines, etc. Because all of that gets messed up on the various e-readers.

So, select the text of the pages and copy it.

Then save it as a rich text document (if in word), to strip away the formatting. And then manually add spaces between the paragraphs/lines of dialog.

Then paste it into the email.

Any formatting that you do in word, even if it shows up fine in your email, may go all wonky on an e-reader or in another's email program.

If you have any doubts, find some friends who use different email programs and send it to them, and have them tell you if anything looks off.

~suki

Tuuli
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Suki, where were you when I had to figure this all out? Great advice. If you don't do it this way, the agent might get weird symbols (or squares) instead of what you had actually typed.

Also, the sample pages come after you paste in the query (because I'm assuming this is sample pages with query scenerio). All you need to separate them is a few spaces and the title of your first chapter (or just Chapter 1 if you don't use titles). No title pages required.

GraysonMoran
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
And then manually add spaces between the paragraphs/lines of dialog.

Good advice above. But I find it easier to first run a search replace instead of doing it by hand. (Computers are so I don't have to do manual labor) In Word you can search for "paragraph mark", which is under the "special" tags seen in the "More" presentation of Search replace.
I use it to put in html tags, or in this case to replace all graph marks with 2 graph marks before saving it. I save as text, not rtf... I think once you paste to email there's no difference.

Another way to show a sample, by the way, is to have one on your website or blog and link to it. Some agents will click a link, some won't.

suki
07-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Some agents will click a link, some won't.

Two different agents I am aware of have said no pages, no read, but they will not follow links. If an agent asks for pages pasted into the email, or makes any other specific instructions in their submission quidelines, it would be preferable to follow those instructions or risk an autoreject - because the guidelines are about making it easy for them and showing you can comply with instructions.

~suki

mkcbunny
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
If underlining is stripped from sample-page content sent within the body of an e-mail, how do you properly indicate italics in the text?

RainbowDragon
08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
In italics.

Ardent Kat
09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Italics are stripped of formatting, too, and end up being emphasized with slash marks on either side of it /like this/.