Do you take your WIP on vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey Bentley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tlbentley.blogspot.com
We're heading out on a two week vacation shortly. At first, I was looking forward to getting away from the writing process and concentrating on having some fun.

However, as vacation time approaches, I'm getting nervous about leaving my WIP unattended for two weeks - and I'm debating about bringing it along.

I'm still undecided but would love to hear how others deal with this.

MichStephens

Registered
Reaction score
I don't. If you are going on vacation with your family, they deserve that time. Take a small notebook or journal so you can jot down ideas as they hit.

When you get back you'll be fresh and can hit the WIP head on again. ;)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yup - I print out a version to read / edit on the plane / car journey. Hey, I'd only read a book otherwise. But I tend not to do anything with it actually ON the holiday, other than jot notes at odd times

Old Man isn't too keen on more than that...But he's great at pointing out little things that make interesting notes, or would fit in my WIP.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken it a couple of times, but never accomplished a damned thing on it, not even during a long car trip or plane ride when I could have.

I find it does me good not to have it, but to jot myself notes if I happen to have any brilliant ideas about it while I'm chilling out.

Maryn, whose work deserves its own vacation, don't you think?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... don't take many o' 'em, but when I do, no WIParoo. Need breaks, sometimes, which makes me a lightweigh, I suppose; sigh. (Shout out to IRUs, up above :)

Last edited:

Hettie

Once and future Queen......
Registered
Reaction score
I print it out and usually take it, JUST IN CASE... but since I always have my laptop I guess it is always there anyway!

I have just realized, I have never been away from my work... Oh, my goodness, I think I need a vacation!!!!

EEEK!

*checks bank account*

Tracey Bentley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tlbentley.blogspot.com
I like the consensus here - and as my original plan was to leave it home, I think that is where it will stay.

Plus, for these two weeks, I'd rather be golfing.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
I always do. I'd rather futz around with it than watch TV during the down time plus I'm an early riser and I always enjoy the quiet hours before anyone else in my family gets up. Even if I don't work on it, I like to read it.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I take it and never touch it, so I would be better off leaving it at home and using the luggage space for something else!

A vacation should mean a vacation from everyday life, and for most of us that should including writing.

Shara

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always bring along my WIP if my family and I are going on a vacation where we'll be staying for a few days. I think that a different environment somehow helped me be able to write more. I actually got a lot done on my novel when we went on vacation somewhere three summers ago.

JamieMT

Lurker in the Corner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiedebree.com
Yep - I wrote a good deal of words for NaNo one year on my PDA while we were flying. The alter-environment seemed to spur my creativity.

Now I have a netbook...even better! My husband doesn't mind, it's not like I'd skip sight-seeing with him to write (no kids to worry about, thank goodness), but for the flying or driving or whatever, there's no reason *not* to write.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I take "writing vacations" that are meant as retreats for me to work more intensely. So obviously I take a WIP then.

Otherwise? I wouldn't consider it. Vacations are for rejuvenation -- to fill the well, so to speak. I find I get a lot of good new story ideas while traveling and getting a lot of fresh scenery/input/experience. I'll take along a notebook to jot down good ideas, but when I take a break, it's from all my work concerns, not just the 9-5 ones.

Reaction score
I enjoy writing too much to even consider NOT having easy access to my WIP.

As well as the "I'd lose the thread of the story" problem, I just don't WANT to stop writing.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
We go to see the SO's family in Italy and my family in England so often, I have to take any WIP I'm working on or I think I'm slacking off...

But I much prefer to take a stack of books and relax. :)

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I take my laptop on holiday with me. I don't always get a lot written on a WIP. But although I don't get loads of words down on it, my mind is working constantly trying to develop the plot and characters.

Being different places inspires a lot of my poetry, so I get a lot written on that side of things.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been on holiday since I took up writing, but when I do finally go somewhere I'll take whatever I'm currently working on with me. :)

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Writing is what I do for enjoyment, so why wouldn't I take that on vacation?

I usually get some writing done, esp since Hubby and I end up in different times zones when we travel.

And I enjoy it. Nothing like knowing that I have no other obligations and that I can just write.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
i just took a WIP with me on a vaca for the first time last week. i only ended up writing a mere 800 words or so.
strange thing - they didn't seem to fit somehow. i think the change in scenery changed the mood or style of the writing somehow. it wasn't bad - it just didn't fit with the rest of the chapter. i will probably end up junking those 800 words and am not likely to write on vaca again, but it was a fun experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.