Interns for Agents

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right place. If not, please move. I was curious how often interns with no experience read submissions. The reason for my curiosity is this ad I found in Craigslist for a reputable agency who wanted an intern that, in addition to other duties, would read queries.
Liteary Agent needs intern who is inquisitive, a self-starter, who wants to learn about publishing/ writing, editing and agenting and who would like help orgainze the (removed) Conference. Should be willing to write letters, be computer-savvy, answer and make phone calls, file, organize, and read queries. Please telephone (name removed)for an appointment after reading our website, (site removed). (Phone number removed. Phone Monday, July13 from 10 to 5.
  • Compensation: none--but it is possible to work your way into some kind of compensation
  • This is a part-time job.
  • This is an internship job
I removed the contact info because I didn't want this to be a debate about a particular agent instead of a business practice. I will say this is an AAR member, proven-sales-record agent. I find it odd that they would read queries when there is no experience in these matters listed. They don't even mention educational requirements. Just curious. Is this common?

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
A fairly large number of queries are automatic rejects because they contain grammar errors, or are in a genre the agent doesn't represent, or are non-fiction by someone who has no qualifications, or they are "The Michelangelo Cipher" or are just otherwise an obvious non-starter.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right place. If not, please move. I was curious how often interns with no experience read submissions. The reason for my curiosity is this ad I found in Craigslist for a reputable agency who wanted an intern that, in addition to other duties, would read queries.

I know of several agents who have interns that screen queries and manuscripts, publishing houses, too. Now, I'm not sure how those interns are chosen (ie, from ads? contacts? MFA programs? etc...), but the practice is, I believe, somewhat common.

~suki

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, but can I have the job?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going port this to Ask the Agent. Hold on to yer hankies....

ETA: Done.

Last edited:

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you CaoPaux.

Christine and Suki-
I'm just shocked that the requirements for determining a manuscripts fate are
an inquisitive, self-starter, who wants to learn. It's not even by referral but Craigslist. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This may be common practice. (shrugs)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think they use the interns to weed out the worst of the queries (ones where the author sent pix of themselves in lingerie, wrote in text speak, can't write a coherent sentence, wrote a genre the agent doesn't handle, didn't include a description of the story, etc.) so the agent can look at the decent ones.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think they use the interns to weed out the worst of the queries (ones where the author sent pix of themselves in lingerie, wrote in text speak, can't write a coherent sentence, wrote a genre the agent doesn't handle, didn't include a description of the story, etc.) so the agent can look at the decent ones.

And interns can have different duties - not sure how many have the authority to do more than process queries, etc. But interns are common...

And I can imagine that if you get 100 queries a day (and that is a conservative estimate for midlist to top agents) - it would be helpful if an intern weeded out all the ones on crack, first... Even if the intern just got it down to 55 or 60 theagent had to read by getting rid of crazies and things the agent clearly doesn't rep, that would help, and someone with minimal skills could do that.

~suki

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most people of average intelligence could screen submissions for an agency: it's relatively easy to discard non-fiction if the agency only represents fiction writers, or to discard books which haven't been written yet, or books which depend on a writer's paranoia, rather than talent.

All they'll be doing is discarding the worst of the submissions, which have little or no hope of being published anyway; or those which simply aren't suitable for the agency concerned. So long as they're properly briefed, and someone with more experience sorts through the ones which survive the cut, I see no problem with this.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Also, remember, interns are interviewed and put through a screening process. It isn't like an agent will take any "self starter" who applies. Besides any job that offers no money is only going to attract the most interested individuals, those truly interested in the publishing industry, because all you are getting out of it is experience and connections. It is unlikely you'll get a lot of obnoxious people, because obnoxious people usually just want a quick buck.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The agents who blog talk frequently about how amazing their interns are, how much they represent their tastes. It's been this way for forever, and while maybe the system isn't perfect, it seems to work just fine.

CloudyDay

Out of here
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to know that an intern is normal. My old agent used an intern for submissions and hired readers to go through all full manuscript requests. She had very little involvment in the slush pile. I signed with her before knowing this.

There were several times I'm sure an intern replied in her name instead of the agent. Once I'm sure my agent didn't even read the manuscript I'd sent. (That was after she signed to be my agent and I was out of the slush pile.) I don't think the reader actually read it either. The agent mentioned plot concerns that weren't in the novel.

Last edited:

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love this job - not even to get into the publishing industry, but just because it's got to be fun to see so many different voices. Like people watching, but with letters :)

Maybe I'm just weird...