• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta wanted for Rhyming Early Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find a Beta reader who will give my picture book/early reader a going-over. It's about 1300 words (21 4-line stanzas). I think it's done, but then again, I thought it was done before the last polishing! My ideal Beta reader is a teacher or childrens' librarian or someone who has written kids' books, but anyone with an ear for rhythm would be just fine.

Thank you!

Karen

LadyCatalyst

Registered
Reaction score
If you still need a beta, I am up for i. I'm taking a break from beating my head against the blank screen and doing some beta-ing. I'm not a librarian, but my mother and grandmother are, and I have two kids I read to all the time. Best of luck to you!
Kate

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find a Beta reader who will give my picture book/early reader a going-over. It's about 1300 words (21 4-line stanzas). I think it's done, but then again, I thought it was done before the last polishing! My ideal Beta reader is a teacher or childrens' librarian or someone who has written kids' books, but anyone with an ear for rhythm would be just fine.

Thank you!

Karen

I'd suggest you post it in the Children's forum in the Share Your Work forum, where you could get multiple critiques.

~suki

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I'd be willing to take a look. I'm a homeschool teacher, currently teaching my 4th child how to read.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to getting beta readers, you might want to do some research to help you figure out whether it really is a picture book or an early reader.

1300 words is on the very long side for either one. Aside from that... they are published and marketed in very different ways. A lot of agents handle picture books. Very, very few handle early readers, because most early reader lines are handled in-house or on a contract basis. So knowing which kind of book you've written would determine what you try to do with it.

I second suki's suggestion - post it in Share your Work, and you'll get feedback from a lot of us.

good luck,
Judy

kdbeaar

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to those who offered to read, and for the advice to post in Share Your Work. I think that's what I may end up doing in the end, so I guess I might as well do that now anyway...but first, one more polishing!

Karen

kdbeaar

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've submitted to SYW, and I would be most pleased if y'all would take a look!

And Judy, thanks for the suggestion, I've called it a picture book. That's what I originally called it, but then the length got me scared and I thought it was perhaps more of an early reader. But it definitely needs pictures!

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.