PDA

View Full Version : Summer slump?

Julie Worth
07-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Is everyone in New York on vacation? I've had exactly one response on eleven queries dating back to mid-May. This is very unusual. Same thing for fulls and partials--some out for 5 months, nothing doing. Anybody having that experience?

NicoleMD
07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
My April and May batches had very poor response rates as well, but I think it's a little too soon to write them off yet. My July batch, (sent this past Monday) has 3/5 responded already! (No requests though, but at least they're speedy. :()

Nicole

Vespertilion
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
My April and May queries seem to be pretty dead in the water, too. Most of them were to agencies that promise some kind of form response instead of silence=no.

ccarver30
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I have sent out 38 queries beginning July 7th and have received 10 rejections. So I guess not everyone is on vacation!

arkady
07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
My April and May queries seem to be pretty dead in the water, too. Most of them were to agencies that promise some kind of form response instead of silence=no.

Same here.

JamieB
07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
The rejection rates seem to be increasing w/a lot of us. :( What's up with that? Same query, same story...odd.

RainbowDragon
07-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes each query that's not a 1-7 day rejection is like dropping a penny in a well and waiting to hear it hit the bottom. . .

months go by and still no sploosh :)

triceretops
07-25-2009, 09:17 PM
It's not only on the agent side. I've seen the worst response rate ever, beginning for me, about the first month of this year. We're talking mostly queries and partials, with a handful of fulls. Baen and Tor, and the like, are understandable. It's the legit small press that's got me tearing my hair out. I really think the delete button is getting used/abused like no other time in publishing history.

Tri

J. M. Hunter
07-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Is everyone in New York on vacation? I've had exactly one response on eleven queries dating back to mid-May. This is very unusual. Same thing for fulls and partials--some out for 5 months, nothing doing. Anybody having that experience?

Yes, and I'm glad you brought this up because I have been experiencing the same thing with my May-June submissions. Just silence.

I was starting to think it was just me. The first round of 10 queries I sent out at the beginning of the year got 100% response rate and quickly too. From that first 10, I still have one partial outstanding which I sent out in May and have not received a response on yet. I sent out 15 more at the end of May and have about a 40% response rate (all rejects so far)

What a great time to try to get a debut novel published! Please tell me it's not usually this... quiet!

Laura Lond
07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Same here. No response for recent queries, and I've got some I had sent in April, May, and June that are still unanswered. Everyone seems to be on vacation...

Phaeal
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I've got about a 50% response rate for my June-July queries, all NTYs.

I sent a query yesterday, because it's to a brand new agency, and I'd like to get in on the ground floor of its rejections. ;) Now I think I'll go on vacation myself and take up the good fight again in September. I've got shorts to revise and draft, a novel to beta, a new novel to research and two older novels to consider for revision. That should keep me busy enough at the beach. :Sun:

amyers27
08-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Good to know it's not just me. I haven't gotten any response of any kind on any query since June. Just silence.

htrent
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
My responses are trickling in as slowly as stalactites form. I have at least a page of Excel spreadsheet names I queried in June that haven't responded yay or nay.

amyers27
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I just got a rejection! Someone out there is reading e-mails!

Um...yay? :|

RainbowDragon
08-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I know, it's sort of anti-climactic, to send a query and get a rejection months later, isn't it?

That's why working on the next novel is much more fun than querying the one in hand. . . :)

I just got a rejection! Someone out there is reading e-mails!

Um...yay? :|

Erin
08-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Someone's definitely back and reading...I've received 5 rejections since yesterday.

arkady
08-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Just yesterday I got a rejection for a submission I'd made on April 4. The pristine alignment of the synopsis and sample pages told me that they'd never been released from their paperclip.

Julie Worth
08-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Just yesterday I got a rejection for a submission I'd made on April 4. The pristine alignment of the synopsis and sample pages told me that they'd never been released from their paperclip.

Literary assistants have a wonderful ability to see through mere paper.

Wordwrestler
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
My agent is on vacation. Of course not all agents are taking their two weeks at exactly the same time, but there are definitely fewer people in the office during any given week of summer.

Tia Nevitt
08-22-2009, 04:27 AM
My response rate to queries plunged at around the first of April. I've had only a handful of responses to a dozen queries, and one full request that's been out almost 5 months. Before April, I got responses to almost all my queries, with the exception of a few I knew didn't respond for rejections.

Think this could be backlash from QueryFail/AgentFail? The timing is interesting.

Julie Worth
08-22-2009, 05:07 AM
My response rate has ticked up. On a new book, two rejections and three full requests in the past week. So the agents are back in town!

Wordwrestler
08-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Today I got a rejection for a query I sent out last December!

Nakhlasmoke
08-22-2009, 09:25 AM
We all know that publishing is in a slump at the moment, but it's pretty depressing to see it in action like this.

*holds thumbs for people still out on sub*

Wordwrestler
08-22-2009, 07:07 PM
My agent is back from vacation. Yesterday her Twitter feed said she was reading queries--130 that have arrived since Monday. That sort of implies that she or someone else was reading queries while she was gone. Hmm.

Erin
08-22-2009, 08:12 PM
My response rate has ticked up. On a new book, two rejections and three full requests in the past week. So the agents are back in town!

That's awesome on the full requests!! Good luck.

After the flurry of responses last week (8 total, 6 rejections and 2 requests), I've had nothing but crickets in my inbox this week. I almost welcomed the silence!

J. M. Hunter
08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
That's awesome on the full requests!! Good luck.

After the flurry of responses last week (8 total, 6 rejections and 2 requests), I've had nothing but crickets in my inbox this week. I almost welcomed the silence!

Man! I still have only gotten 2 form rejections! I was on a roll for a while, with both requests and rejections left and right. Now I'm just closing them all. Although, if I'm like wordwrestler, I hope to get a few either way from the ones I sent in early may if anyone's responding to those anymore.

Congrats on the full requests, Julie - I hope one of them works out for you!

Question for you guys: I sent out a few rounds of queries to agents who I felt would be really good matches for my book earlier this year and got back mostly form rejections at the query level. Since that time, I have made some major improvements to the book. Can I requery some of those first few agents (the ones I really felt strongly about)? If so, how do you approach that if they already sent a form rejection? Is this just a bad practice in general?

Haupe
08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
JM, I'd suggest you go to Nathan Bransford's blog. He had a post about this a while back. In the post itself he discourages the practice, but the the comments section, he qualified that there were politically appropriate ways to handle a resubmission. Sorry I don't have the link. You'll have to search his blog. In the same week, I believe, Kristin Nelson handled the same topic; her response, as well, was a qualified yes.

Julie Worth
08-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Question for you guys: I sent out a few rounds of queries to agents who I felt would be really good matches for my book earlier this year and got back mostly form rejections at the query level. Since that time, I have made some major improvements to the book. Can I requery some of those first few agents (the ones I really felt strongly about)? If so, how do you approach that if they already sent a form rejection? Is this just a bad practice in general?

If sufficient time has passed and you've changed the title and changed the query so that it doesn't sound the same, sure. If you sent material before, then the opening will have to be different too.

Tia Nevitt
08-23-2009, 02:39 AM

Yay! There's hope! Best of luck!!

I'm about ready to send out a new batch when I finish this revision, hopefully today or tomorrow.

Erin
08-23-2009, 07:42 AM
If sufficient time has passed and you've changed the title and changed the query so that it doesn't sound the same, sure. If you sent material before, then the opening will have to be different too.

I agree with this approach too. I'd wait a minimum of 6 months.

Laura Lond
09-16-2009, 01:02 AM
I thought the summer slump was supposed to be over by now?? Nothing but crickets in my inbox. Damn.

Julie Worth
09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I thought the summer slump was supposed to be over by now?? Nothing but crickets in my inbox. Damn.

Yes, the summer slump is officially over. Just like the recession.

Wordwrestler
09-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Yes, the summer slump is officially over. Just like the recession.

:roll:

Laura Lond
09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I see... LOL!! :D

arkady
09-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Well, after the "summer slump" comes the "autumn slump," as all those busy agents start catching up with the summer's backlog. Then there's the "Thanksgiving slump," when the November holiday just puts everything on hold. And of course, we mustn't forget the "December slump," whose many holiday seasons make it impossible for agents to do their business. After that, the "January slump" (also known as the "Winter doldrums") puts business on the slow track once more. Note that the "January slump" often extends through March. And with April, the "Summer slump" begins once more.

To everything, there is a season...

Laura Lond
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I forgot about Thanksgiving and Christmas slumps! :D

Moost
09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
I have about 15 queries out from over a month ago. I try to tell myself they're lost in Cyber Space. It's really disappointing going from almost a rejection a day to none! I feel...empty inside.

Erin
09-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I have about 15 queries out from over a month ago. I try to tell myself they're lost in Cyber Space. It's really disappointing going from almost a rejection a day to none! I feel...empty inside.

Yeah, it's been weird. I had a flurry of rejects and requests a few weeks ago, then bam. Nothing. Agents who've traditionally responded quickly or have responded to queries after I sent mine are totally ignoring me! I've never had a problem with email (until this weekend), so I can only assume the slump continues, everyone's super-swamped, etc. etc.