Qualifications questions.

DarkDesireX

I like tentacles!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninasgooden.com
When you query an agent and have had nothing previously published I realize it's just customary to just kind of skip the "About me" paragraph. I was wondering what kind of information would help there.

Would an agent want to know if I'm a member of Mensa or the RWA?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Mensa, no. RWA, maybe.

I was previously unpublished when I queried, so I didn't put anything too specific about me in the query. If an agent requests a small bio or an About Me section, put in whatever details feels pertinent to writing--do you have a lit degree? Is your day job in a writing-related field? Those sorts of things.

They don't want to hear that you have three kids, two dogs, and a goldfish named Skippy, or that you are on the district school board.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
I am an unpublished hack, so please bear that in mind when weighing my words, but I am also pretty adamant about not compromising myself.

If you feel that Mensa or RWA, or even the fact that you may be a parent of children and/or goldfish, is important to who you are, I say include it. Sure the agent may not give a shit, but I submit, who gives a shit? I would hope that agents or their lackeys who read their submissions would not reject your idea simply because you added some information about yourself. I know I would want an agent who at least has some idea of what kind of person you are.

It seems that the agent/writer relationship is the bizarre dance of fear-of-rejection and wooing that is the basic foundation for most sales-client relationships. I guess the best advice I can get is try your best to find one that will be straight with you and spare the head-trips so that you both can get down to the business of your business.

(Agents, feel free to check out my blog! I would love to hear what you think - that is if this was appropriate to ask...oh, I'm gonna be 'jected.)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I've subbed to Harlequin, I've mentioned how long I've been a reader of Romance as well as the particular line I'm subbing to, particularly mentioning authors I enjoy, because it shows my familiarity with the genre and the house.

If the book I'm subbing won or finaled in a RWA chapter contest, I mention that because it's a writing related acheivement with that book.

If there's nothing to say regarding that book or publisher, than I skip the paragraph entirely.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
If you feel that Mensa or RWA, or even the fact that you may be a parent of children and/or goldfish, is important to who you are, I say include it. Sure the agent may not give a shit, but I submit, who gives a shit?

Would you put the fact that you are a parent or the proud owner of a goldfish on a resume?

A query letter is, first and foremost, a business communication. It's snazzy and reflects your personal voice, but it's still a professional exchange.

Also, one of the advantages of not including frivolous information is that you have more room to include information of value to the agent -- information that shows why you have chosen to query them, the fact that you know the genre, or information about the work itself.

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, good point about the resume. However, I lie like crazy on those...I like to keep my writing pure. :)

Seriously, I do get where you are coming from Kathleen and that is a good point.