PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

CreativeCanuck
07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I wrote a book, that is about 80,000 words, and I would really like to get it published. It is about teen issues and includes a variety of information about teen issues, 100 responses to common teenage questions, real stories from teenagers, helpful phone numbers, etc. I intend to donate all of the proceeds to Kids Help Phone once it is published, which will hopefully be in the very near future.

I looked into self-publishing but it is extremely expensive. I'm not in the best financial position right now due to the fact that my father has been home from work for two years now due to an injury and my mother only has a temporary secretarial job. Even paying for university will be really difficult for me, which is why I'm hoping for scholarships.

I volunteer a lot of my time with a variety of organizations, primarily Kids Help Phone. I really want to make a difference in somebody's life, which is why I wrote this book. I really feel that it could make a difference to someone, somewhere.

I already have a ton of plans for the book and also have acquired quite the number of potential buyers. All I need is to get the book edited and published, as soon as possible.

If there is any way that you would even consider helping me out, it would mean more than you think.

Thank you very much

valeriec80
07-23-2009, 03:43 AM
You can self-publish on createspace for the price of a proof copy (usually about $10-12, depending on the book.) Your book will be available on Amazon, but if you don't pay the $40 for the Pro Plan, you'll probably have to price it around $16-17 to make a profit at all.

It goes without saying, of course, that this won't give you any editorial help and you'll have to market it yourself entirely.

ResearchGuy
07-23-2009, 04:12 AM
I wrote a book, that is about 80,000 words, and I would really like to get it published. . . .
Start with my overview of The Pursuit of Publishing (http://www,umbachconsulting.com/pursuit.pdf). Free pdf. I get positive feedback on it, including from folks here on AW. It will help you get started in the right direction.

Let me add: slow down. Don't commit irreparable errors through being in a rush.

--Ken

Adoro Book Works
07-24-2009, 06:52 AM
That is definitely your best bet... read that pdf and everything else you can get your hands on before taking this step.

Self publishing need not cost anything these days, so that should be one of the things you're finding out about.

Good luck