Who Do You Love (Writers)?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am insanely crazy about Gordon Downie's writing. I know...I should maybe post this in Roundtable...but I wanted to post it here.

What writers resonate with you so so much that they blow you away EVERY time. For me...it's not a novelist. It's Gord Downie from the Tragically Hip. His lyrics and poetry are f'ing spectacular!

Listen to this:

FIDDLERS GREEN

Listen to those lyrics. He kills me...

He writes Canada so good too...listening to the Hips music is listening to the history of Canada...but made more beautiful. Every song amazing...lyrics that make me so jealous and envious and thankful all at once. Man...I wish I could write 1/100th as good as he can. His poetry is also spectacular.

There's my writer crush.

Who blows you away???

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Ellen Steiber. I have a love/hate relationship with her.

I loved her Rumor of Gems book. I hated that even after I emailed her and bugged her to write the sequels, she's not done so yet. Darn it. Hurry up and write it already. *entertainment demands*

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm far too inexperienced a reader to be able to say which author I looooooooooooove..... but I will say out of the last few books I've read, I really loved Fiona Gibson's style in Wonderboy. She's a UK writer, and it's kinda hard to get copies of her stuff, but totally loved her voice. When I read something that sounds like something out of my own mouth, I'm on board. It's all about relating. I guess. I dunno. ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love them both in equal measures.

Mr. Pratchett sees the world as it is; its absurdities, its pleasures, its dark corners. He paints vivid pictures of society and civilization with his tongue firmly jammed in his cheek.

Neil Gaiman blows me away with his prose. He keeps things simple. And yet there is nothing simple about his stories. American Gods? Perfection.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Hell yes!

I also have an on/off love affair with CJ Cherryh. I completely and utterly adore some of her stuff. Others I can't get through. But when she does a style I like...her heroes*swoon*...I admire her characterisation. Her characters always feel completely real to me. Even when they're totally bonkers.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies
and hypothesis can't define how I be droppin these
mockeries, lyrically perform armed robbery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isumZjs3dKA

Although I will be honest the RZA's lyrics are better than his writing. That stuff is just weird. I actually think he'd get on really well with William Blake.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
And he writes women SO FUCKING WELL.

I cannot praise him enough.

AGREED. Although I have to confess that I only ever read one of his books. That's odd. I have a few others to read, I believe. He does do women phenomenally. I found myself really relating to Dolores too.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com

Mr. Pratchett sees the world as it is; its absurdities, its pleasures, its dark corners. He paints vivid pictures of society and civilization with his tongue firmly jammed in his cheek.

Neil Gaiman blows me away with his prose. He keeps things simple. And yet there is nothing simple about his stories. American Gods? Perfection.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we must share a brain. ;)

AnonymousWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch Albom.

His books were one of the first adult ones I started reading, and I loved them.

It's not as much for beautiful prose as much as beautiful stories.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum is the most perfect book ever.

I also couldn't live without Austen and there are others, many of them blow me away.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Dostoyevsky, Fyodor; 1821-1881.
The greatest writer who ever lived,
and a god in human guise to be sure.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Dostoyevsky, Fyodor; 1821-1881.
The greatest writer who ever lived,
and a god in human guise to be sure.

I wish I could read him in Russian.
The Idiot and The Gambler are definitely awesome to no end.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... I hear you. I love Russian Lit so much, in general, that I really should try to learn the language.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Theodora Goss, although she's only published short stories and poems so far. No novel yet. I'd definitely buy her novel if she ever writes and publishes one. Her writing is beautiful. I wish I could write as well as her.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, though... Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite writers. I have never read anything by him that I did not like. The man is fantastic.

Piers Anthony and his Xanth novels. Too much fun. Love his wit.

I could fill the page with other authors I love. A couple of the authors in my list haven't put out a lot of books. But from the work I have read of theirs, if they put out another book I would buy it. A couple of ones that pop into my head are R. A. Salvatore, Mercedes Lackey, Elizabeth Haydon, Barbara Hambly, David Eddings, Tracy & Laura Hickman, Robert Newcomb, Margaret Weis, Diana Wynne Jones, Kate Elliot, Jonathan Stroud, David Farland, Terry Brooks, Eoin Colfer... I could go on, but as you can see the list gets long quite quickly.

Writers who spin an engaging story... "these are a few of my favorite things." :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
SF author Ted Chiang. His word choices look effortless, but feel to me like the exact right word each time. Simple and precise writing and intelligent stories imbued with sense of wonder. His short story collection Stories of Your Life and Others is one I recommend to everyone.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
James Joyce. He walked the earth like a colossus. Except Finnegans Wake was a bit pants.