Dream Conference - What if? (Moved from Novels to Roundtable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I gotta know. If you had unlimited money and all the time you needed, what writers conference would you attend and why? What is your dream conference? Where is it? What makes it the best?

I hope to put this information to good use. Thanks in advance! ~Lavinia

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Hmm, that's hard! There's at least three I want to go to: RWA, Historical Novel Society and ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers). All three of them switch locations every year; Historical Novel one goes back and forth between England and somewhere in the States.

I may be able to go to ACFW next year--it's supposedly in Indianapolis in 2010 and that's only a 2 hour drive for me :) But I think out of all of them, I'd lean towards the Historical Society one since that's my passion and I'd probably learn the most from it because of its focus on the historical genre--and traveling to a conference in England would be awesome!

Danthia

Really depends on what you write, but money or not, I'd go to Surrey International Writer's Conference in British Columbia. That conference changed my life and I wouldn't have a book coming out in a few months if not for that. Great sessions, lots of agents, editors, and authors, great energy and wonderful people.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
BC huh? Interesting. That's sort of in my neck of the woods. I'll look it up.

I like the idea of thinking about what I like to write and finding a conference with that focus. Good idea. I've looked for general things like fiction or nonfiction. But maybe specializing a bit more would be helpful. Nonfiction, in particular is a difficult conference focus to find. I've not been successful there, or memoir writing. But even if I could find a conference with a number of workshops within those areas, I'd be happy.

Thanks for the replies!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the Historical Novel Society.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
JJ Abrams would be there. I don't know what exactly he would do; he would just be there.

No, but in all seriousness, all it would be would be authors I like talking about writing for as long as they want, and then a thing where you line up and try to pitch your novel to agents. Also...if it's whatever I want, I'd want dancing and good food.

Yeah, that would be fun.

nconner

Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for focused workshops, it's hard to beat the Iowa Summer Writing Festival, which has weekend- and week-long workshops on everything from idea-generating writing exercises to poetry to advanced novel writing. Lots of nonfiction topics, too.

Nancy Holzner

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Hawaii Writers Conference.

I cannot emphasize enough the fact that it's in Maui.

Last edited:

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-huh...that's kinda sad really. There are probably some children's books only 15 pages long that have made more than novels...

To be fair, some totally deserve it. It's hard to make every word count, when they're counting every word. Hell, this post is gonna be about 60 words long, and I've accomplished virtually nothing. A skilled children's book writer can make it through a couple steps in the hero's journey in that time. Eloquently, no less. I bow down to that kind of writing prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.