PDA

View Full Version : Started a blog to generate some excitement for my upcoming novel

RocketFoot
07-21-2009, 01:41 AM
I call it a blog-a-tisement! LOL I'm only at 5,000/75,000 but I already have a following on another forum so I figured I'd create a blog to help keep them informed on the progress of the book. They are actually the group of people that inspired my novel.

Do you guys think this is a good idea or not? If good, how about the content? Is it bad to give out info about a WIP? What is on the blog now is about the extent of info I am prepared to release. Other blog updates will just be about progress.

Let me know what you think...:)

http://reborn-by-rocketfoot.blogspot.com/

KTC
07-21-2009, 01:55 AM
It looks pretty nice.

I am a little confused, though. You only have 5k of 75k words? and you know it'll be on bookstore shelves? are you self-publishing...or do you have a contract?

RocketFoot
07-21-2009, 02:00 AM
It looks pretty nice.

I am a little confused, though. You only have 5k of 75k words? and you know it'll be on bookstore shelves? are you self-publishing...or do you have a contract?

Honestly, that is a goal I set for my self...

I was going to use PA, but after reading the PA info post, I'm not so sure now. I'm looking for publisher or agent suggestions, but that will be a topic for another post.

My date is negotiable...early could be up to March...:D

Michael J. Hoag
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah, this looks great. 2010's quite a deadline though! LOL, I like the attitude, go get 'em, tiger! :)

I'd be interested in seeing some content on the blog. What did you have in mind? Excerpts? Peripherals?

Michael J. Hoag
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Also, you should consider getting involved in the Share Your Work forums. Giving and receiving critique is one of the best ways to grow as a writer. Post your first chapter and see what people think. Getting opinions now could save you a lot of time and frustration in editing your novel.

Good luck,

Mike

lucidzfl
07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
the look is really nice. like someone said, it needs content.

also, 5K words and you're calling it your upcoming novel? Joo got ballz mang.

RocketFoot
07-22-2009, 04:33 AM
the look is really nice. like someone said, it needs content.

also, 5K words and you're calling it your upcoming novel? Joo got ballz mang.
Haha...I got a good, long story to tell! I just need to get it all outta my head and into this machine! That's the fun part, right? :D

pmadams
07-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Looks cool! I think it is a great ideal and I applaud you for setting a date for your book - keeps you motivated!

cindystubbs
07-22-2009, 04:18 PM
You must have it all worked out in your head I guess. Good luck.

RocketFoot
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
You must have it all worked out in your head I guess. Good luck.
I wouldn't say I have it worked out 100%, but I have an excellent outline to work from that has my beginning, middle and ending. I'm still filling in details and editing my outline as I go. But I feel good about it. It is coming along good. I still have a few bugs to work out with tenses but I think I found a smooth transition! I'm definitely motivated!

pmadams
07-25-2009, 07:33 PM
May I ask what program you used to do the book cover design? I have a site about my book (http://pmadams.wordpress.com) and I would love to post some kind of book design on there.

RocketFoot
07-26-2009, 02:46 AM
May I ask what program you used to do the book cover design? I have a site about my book (http://pmadams.wordpress.com) and I would love to post some kind of book design on there.

I used Photoshop CS3. If you don't want to spring for PS, Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) is another nice program that does just about everything PS does...and it's FREE!

srjohannes
07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
I think a blog is helpful to start building your writer platform. I am sure tons of people would be interested in your journye :) good luck

JoshPatton
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, creative ways to market oneself is great. As far as content goes, perhaps you can post some excerpts of interviews you have conducted or videos of things that may inspire certain aspects of your novel.

Also, if any unexpected plot developments happen, you can write about that. My daughter and her mom are HUGE Harry Potter fans and I recall that Rowling wrote posts on her website about how when she was writing chapters certain characters survived/were killed that she did not originally expect. She gave no details, but it was that type of stuff the she would write about on her site rather than give up too much story info.

I mean, she posted something like once every three months and she could afford to just tease things.

I like it, looks really professional and I think that it could be a great idea.

DavidZahir
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Just a thought -- your banner or top graphic is so "tall" that the text of your blog falls "below the crease" i.e. below the bottom of a 800 x 600 pixel screen. Methinks this interferes with visitors knowing that anything actually is below that point.