• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Getting Your Subconscious to Talk to You

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I know I want to write a novel, I know it will be a sociological sff romance because that's what I like to read and daydream about, but I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I would most like to write about. Anybody know a brainstorming exercise designed to pull your subconscious desires out where your conscious mind can look at them?

horror_fan90

Registered
Reaction score
Why dont you try the opening lines exercise?

Look at the first line of a lot of your romance books, and then write some of your own. Once you get a few, look over em and see which one strikes you best. Once you do that, try to write a paragraph following it. Then id just flow into freewriting, it really stimulates your imagination. (theres also a writing exercise forum in here)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's called Dreaming. :)

Your brain gets stormed with subconsciousness all night long, provided you sleep that is. If you can recall your dreams, they will help you realize what you seek.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Actually a dream is why I'm looking for a brainstorming exercise. I had a dream (involving being in a museum studying sculptures of eggs) which suggested to me that the reason I am not happy with the way my writing has been turning out is that I have lost my focus on what I subconsciously want and need to write about. I want an exercise to do to help me recapture that focus and get my writing to be satisfyingly on track again.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Great dream! Excellent symbols!

Beyond the overall suggestiveness of your dream, what do you suppose the parts may be trying to convey?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Well, I'll paste here a description of my dream which I typed up and posted in a different forum to get some advice on interpreting it.

First the background info - I am trying to write a novel. One of the things in the novel is a dragon egg, which can't be conceived in the usual way and must be created by magic somehow (haven't figured out how, I'm not real good at making up magic systems, think maybe I'm too literal and logical minded). Another thing in the novel is the idea of people being classified into distinct personality types. I went to the Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History today and looked at sculptures and carvings of stone, wood, ivory, etc. I thought about acquiring a block of soapstone and carving it into something, perhaps a chain. I also looked at dinosaurs, portrayls of evolution, and specimens of extinct and endangered birds.

So, the dream itself. I came back exhausted from the museam and took a nap. I dreamed I was back at the museum, only they were teaching people how to carve things - wood and alabaster mainly. They also had special, almost glowing eggs made out of each material as museum exhibits. Each type of carving material corresponded with a culture - wood was from a more primitive, impulsive culture while alabaster was from a more complex, scholarly culture.

So I looked at the presentations and learned the carving techniques, and looked at the eggs, and understood them. But the problem was, I couldn't use the carving techniques to make an egg. It was one of those dreams where you're supposed to do something (make an egg) but no matter what you try it doesn't work. It felt like the carving techniques were in one part of my mind, and the understanding of the eggs was in a different part of my mind, and I couldn't make the two combine.

So, what does it mean to dream that although I have to create an egg, I cannot create an alabaster egg by sculpting alabaster, or a wood egg by sculpting wood? Does the egg correspond literally with the dragon egg in the novel, or does it represent the novel itself and the problems I am having trying to write it, or something else? If I can't make an alabaster egg by sculpting it out of alabaster, how _do_ I make one?

In my case, I would say the problem lies in getting my conscious mind to figure out what I subconsciously want and need to make. What I feel like is that I don't have a path to go where I want to go; maybe I just don't know where I want to go. There was a lot of emphasis no technique in the dream, maybe I am subconsiously deciding that the technique I am trying to use might be perfectly good for making something but will not result in the book I want to write.

It makes me suspicious that the eggs in the dream were glowing - normal carving does not create something that glows. In the dream, I know I want to make an egg, but I don't know exactly what it should be made out of, or what makes it glow with museum-quality. With a big project like a novel it's not enough to know that you want to make AN egg, you have to know that you want to make THE egg, YOUR egg.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
You asked:
So, what does it mean to dream that although I have to create an egg, I cannot create an alabaster egg by sculpting alabaster, or a wood egg by sculpting wood? Does the egg correspond literally with the dragon egg in the novel, or does it represent the novel itself and the problems I am having trying to write it, or something else? If I can't make an alabaster egg by sculpting it out of alabaster, how _do_ I make one?

This is what I heard in response to reading your dream,

"It is time to break tradition and move beyond the restrictions of comparison."

I hope it helps and if it doesn't then just trash it I guess. If I offended you because of it, then I am sorry in advance. It is not my intention to offend on purpose.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm easy-going and thick-skinned, so no need to worry about offending me accidentally. :)

I don't usually think of comparison as restricting - I know I want to make an egg, I know I want my egg to go in the museum for everyone else to admire, but I haven't been trying to exactly copy any particular style or book, because actually I haven't been able to find an example book significantly like what I want to do: 4 peoples' lives intertwined because they are best friends and lovers, with a non-violent external plot that is not based on fighting a villain or surviving a disaster, but instead more on using creativity and strategy to sneakily avoid problems.

Break tradition, maybe - I do feel about ready to break the tradition of how-to-write books' theories and advice because none of it seems to apply to the sort of book I want to write.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
If I can throw in my two cents here........it sounds like you are looking for your own voice........finding your own voice in writing is a difficult but worthwhile journey and it does take going into your subconcious. Something you might try as exercises for learning to shut off your internal editor and letting your more creative juices flow is just doing exercises every day called stream of concious writing...........you take a blank sheet of paper and some people time themselves I don't but you just begin to write. It doesn't have to make sense and you may start out just writing "I don't know what to write down" and then keep going from there until you more or less learn to go into a meditive state or "waking dream" state and writing down whatever comes to mind (I know this sounds weird but with practice it not only works but is very enjoyable and gives you great ideas). I've actually ended up with poetry or starts of books, figured out emotional problems, and short stories doing this. Sometimes it just thoughts. I like to give myself an hour (usually people do if for 15 minutes) so I have a journal to do this in so I can keep whatever comes out. This is very relaxing for me because I'm not straining to "think" about something to write and it works better for me that actually trying to meditate. Maybe I'm just strange but just try it at least a few times before deeming it a stupid idea. You may want to also want to keep a dream journal....a notebook and pen/pencil by your bed so if you wake up from a dream you can write it down immediatly before going back to sleep and forgetting it. Just a few thoughts

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Not sure if voice is the right word - it's more like I'm looking for my subject matter and a plot structure to arrange it in.

A waking dream state sounds neat. I get my best writing ideas when I'm half asleep, it would be really nice to be able to get into that mental state without falling asleep immediately afterward.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
A good meditation might help. When I first began learning how to meditate I would fall asleep. It took me a while to learn not to do that. lol

Here is an idea to maybe help you get beyond the block.

The subject matter you seek is inside the egg. It is the substance that causes the glow you saw of the other eggs.

The structure you need is the shape of the egg and that can be any shape you want. You don't have to use wood or alabaster. You can make your egg out of the mud of the Earth if you want. You could even make it a collective egg and take some wood, some alabaster, some mud, some metal or bits and pieces of anything you desire and make it.

Your egg could take a unique shape and be triangular or star shaped even. I don't know I guess it just seems to me that you don't so much have a block as you have such a vast array of creative choice that it is nearly impossible to see the end and that inability to see looks like a block when it really is not.

The subject matter also seems to me to be about creation itself and human attempts to understand it. In your story you have the egg created through magic. Maybe the magic that created the egg is the kind of magic that desire produces. The desire could come from the unspoken desires of the people who secretly yearn for individuality and breaking free from their classifications. From this desire a myth is born, the dragon, but it is the egg and it's odd shape that first attracts attention.

I don't know *shrug*, I am just running with thought and hoping that it may help you somehow.

I do know one thing for sure, I am highly interested in this egg of yours that you haven't even physically created yet. I definitely wanna get your book and read it when it's done. :D From what little you've said about it, it sounds like it is going to be good, real good. I don't even read fiction usually but like I said, I'm interested in this egg now.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Wow, not sure what I said that makes it seem like it will be good, but thank you very much for the vote of convidence! :heart:

Hmm, eggs of a different shape - I hadn't thought of that actually - the ones in the dream were made of different materials but were exactly the same size and shape, so I was just assumng mine would be too. Maybe just because I know that physically it will be book-shaped, a fairly standard 500 page ovel, hopefully with a pretty cover. ;) I'll think about that though, a star-shaped egg, hmm... I agree wholeheartedly that it's a 'too many options' sort of dilemma.

I was also thinking of the eggs as being solid and glowing uniformly, rather than containers with glowing contents. Kind of like the egg is made out of a solid form of the magic that created it. Which makes sense, since eggs symbolize potential and magic is the potential to do even impossible things. Probably the same reason I'm having trouble developing the magic system in the book - too many possibilities, when I work best by having lots of rules to bend and sneak around.

But still, I feel less blocked today. :Sun: I did find a wriing exercise to play with (the program StoryBase) and hopefully insights gained from that will enable me to see where my plot outline feels restrictive or not alive and fix that. (If you want I'll show it to you after I'm done revising it, maybe next monday or tuesday.) Also someone suggested that my novel is a milieu novel, so I'll investigate and see if anyone has good advice about what a milieu novel is and how to write one which might help me write mine. :)

dreamfroggy

Registered
Reaction score
sunandshadow said:
A waking dream state sounds neat. I get my best writing ideas when I'm half asleep, it would be really nice to be able to get into that mental state without falling asleep immediately afterward.

this sounds like me... I do my best writing late at night or when I have had very little sleep.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Glowing eggs?

Forgetting all the psycho-babble potential involving your dream, why not write about studying eggs in a museum - noticing the glow - and realizing something is growing inside them - something which has lain dormant for aeons until now. Man-made interference might have caused them to begin the process.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
Start asking what came first, the dragon or the egg.

When I'm stuck on a novel, I think of the central theme and write a poem about it. Just let loose and write the thought, cleanup comes later.

THe poem helps me get my focus back, and it also generates ideas.

I hope this helps.

JEP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jepreport.blogspot.com
Since I prefer the gonzo style of humor writing myself, I do not even attempt to sit back and try to think of something to write. I go out and make something happen worth writing about. Do something outrageous, like down a bottle of tequila and a hand full of Ex-Lax. If you can not write a compelling article about what happens after doing something like that, you need to seriously consider taking up a different hobby.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What do you mean by 'sociological sff romance' -- sounds interesting.

I think my best ideas come form discussions with other people, their questions make me really unpack the ideas.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The Laws of thaumaturgy (ritual magic) are supposed to be logical and literal. Its very scientific in approach. You would be well advised to check out what those laws are and how they interact to create a Unified Magical Theory. Then you can apply a system of magic that matches your own attitudes and bias.

Check out: http://www.neopagan.net/AT_Laws.html This is mostly for RPG players, but it provides a clear statement of the Laws of Magic, definitions, and a nice chart of how the laws intersect, overlap and might be used to create a particular magical effect. They also allow for lots of flubs and error deadly or comical.

Regards,
Scott

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Read more. Inspiration is not plagarizing, just a spark to get your muse off her coffee break. If you read more books that seem compatible with what you want to write, then it'll help get the snowball going.

Also, you know those crazy ideas you might get at night or some other time? BUILD ON THEM. Take yout funky ideas and daydreaming to the mazimum and put it on paper. Nothing is so crazy that it can't become tangible.

If these don't help anything, and the writer's block is staying as stubbornly put as ever, try collaborating witt someone else. Find a friend or a librarian or someone who you can talk with about story ideas. You'd be surprised at how much another brain can help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.