Genre question

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I am working on a story that involves an archeological discovery. During the excavation, the antagonist's attack the archeological group and make several attempts to stop the work. The story begins with the attempted shooting down of a commercial jet. There is a murder, a break-in, and abduction, several attempts on the lives of one or another members of the archeological team, and several other 'antagonistic' activities. However, the story is not a non stop series of attacks. The story also includes a romantic relationship between the lead archeologist and her boyfriend, who also happens to be a well trained mercenary. There are several antagonists including an ancient religious cult, a local group of terrorists, and a mysterious Egyptian diplomat. I don't know if this is a complete enough description to help define the genre of my manuscript. Hopefully someone can express an opinion - I don't know if I should call my story a mystery or a thriller; or perhaps something else altogether. I realize that in most mysteries there is often a single crime around which the story revolves. A thriller, on the other hand, usually places the protagonist(s) in some sort of continuing danger. Any help will be most appreciated.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
Sounds like a lot of Rollins books, which I think are categorized under mystery/thriller. My suggestion would be to call it a thriller. Hope that helps!

Danthia

Based on your description, thriller seems to fit, though suspense could also work. Quickie definition I heard....If the protag is trying to stop the bad guy from doing something bad, it's a thriller. If the protag is trying to survive the bad guy doing something bad to them, it's suspense. :)