Romance Synopsis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
When writing a romance synopsis do you write it through one person's view or can you use both? The book is written from both their perspectives (3rd person) so it seems logical to write the synopsis from both sides.
If you can use both, do you write it half/half, alternating paragraphs or just what feels natural? I don't want to look like I'm headhopping throughout the synopsis.
Thanks

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Hey, Zipotes,

I always write the synopsis in sort of a "he said/she said" style, which is not particularly in either character pov, but covers the H and h GMC.

I don't know if you've checked it out yet, but there are some great examples of this format right here in the Selling Synopsis Examples

So far this has worked for me. :)

Good luck! Synopsis=Sucknopsis. They are NOT easy.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
The synopsis should probably be written from the reader's perspective, not any of the characters'. A synopsis is basically a summarization of why happens in the book and a bit of explanation why; then you can preface it with a paragraph which mentions genre, setting, basic plot type, target audience; what an editor wants to know or what a reader would tell a fellow reader so they could decide whether the book was their type of thing.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
And they're done in 3rd person present tense, no matter how you wrote your book.

Took me 5 versions, I think, to get a synopsis that doesn't totally suck.

D.Avet

Tripping the light Romantastically
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danicaavet.wordpress.com
I have a question. I've looked all over the internet and found different answers to it, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me.

How exactly should a synopsis be formatted? I've seen some sites that say double-spaced with proper nouns capitalized. I've seen other sites that say never capitalize proper nouns and still others that say to single space. Is there a basic format, or does it depend on publisher guidelines?

Thanks in advance. Also, its great to see so many published authors in this forum. It gives me hope! :)

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Double-spaced is always easier on the readers' eyes, thus appreciated by editors and agents.

When you say caps, I presume you mean: GREG HAWKINS, like that?

I usually only all cap the hero and heroine's names the first time I introduce them. Makes the name stand out a smidge.

But...I wouldn't tell you that there's a "rule" that you MUST do it one way or the other. Please, don't tie yourself up into knots over that.

There's a lot more important stuff in a synopsis to sweat. <G>

Welcome to the boards!

Susan G.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Pardon my ignorance, but why would capitalization of proper nouns ever come into play? This seems really bizarre to me.

ETA: Oh, I see Susan's note now, we posted almost simultaneously. All caps not initial caps...duh.

Last edited:

D.Avet

Tripping the light Romantastically
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danicaavet.wordpress.com
Lol, apparently, the only way I function is to tie myself in knots, Susan! I was nearly comatose while brainstorming a title for my current MS. I kid you not, I was really firing on all synapses trying to come up with a title and then when I went to my chapter meeting, was told that the publisher will probably change the title anyway! Gah. Lol.

You're right though, writing the synopsis is the hard part. Ugh. I've looked at all the examples on the synopsis thread and just know that mine isn't as great as it could be.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I have never capped a character's name in a synopsis. It just seems so comicbooky to me that I can't bring myself to do it. Though I've seen it done and I assume it's just one of those things everyone "knows", LOL.

And do try for a good working title for your book, IMO. I've only had one title changed through 9 contracts. If it works for the house, they will keep it if it's catchy.

Aileen Harkwood

Paranormal Suspense Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have never capped a character's name in a synopsis. It just seems so comicbooky to me that I can't bring myself to do it. Though I've seen it done and I assume it's just one of those things everyone "knows", LOL.

I wasn't aware that an ALL CAPS introduction of a character has come into style, but it's basically mandatory in screenplays and treatments of screenplays, though almost no one writes treatments any more.

I do find it's helpful, however, to think of a synopsis as a sort of compressed screenplay. We're watching the characters come on screen, next the "inciting incident" that gets the story rolling (i.e. your hero and heroine meet, or something happens that causes a significant change to their lives and throws them together). Like characters in a screenplay, each of the characters in a novel has a "dramatic question," something they want but which remains just out of reach. It's a desire or a need that drives their actions throughout the story.

...and, well, you get the idea. For me, when I write a synopsis, I'm visualizing the story, I'm moving myself through it using the characters and their problems, etc. If I can "see" the story, it is so much easier to write, than just sitting down and asking, what comes next?

BTW, I'm currently judging 10 entries for a romance contest, all of which require a synopsis. Double-spaced. Not a single ALL CAP character intro so far.

Hope this was helpful?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.