PDA

View Full Version : Space: I know someone said this

Salis
07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Okay, not really an expert thing at all. I'm just trying to find the author of a quote. I'm pretty sure someone said something like:

"The problem with space is that there's too much of it."

I just can't find it with my (super intensive) google attempts. Any takers?

Priene
07-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Okay, not really an expert thing at all. I'm just trying to find the author of a quote. I'm pretty sure someone said something like:

I just can't find it with my (super intensive) google attempts. Any takers?

The one that comes to mind is Douglas Adams:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Barb D
07-19-2009, 03:55 PM

No idea who said it, but whoever it was never lived in my house!

Salis
07-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Huh. Maybe I did come up with it on my own. STRANGE!

Swordswoman
07-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Could be Bill Bryson in 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'. Can't check because I don't have the book with me, but I think he said 'The problem with space is that it's too damn big'.

Does that sound familiar at all?

Louise

Salis
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Could be Bill Bryson in 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'. Can't check because I don't have the book with me, but I think he said 'The problem with space is that it's too damn big'.

Does that sound familiar at all?

Louise

That might be it!

I guess it's convenient I reworded it slightly without even knowing where it came from (go subconscious!).

Newguy1428
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
This is from thinkexist.com.

“Part of the problem with the elephant is, we need to know how much space they really need.”

Thure Cerling

I thought that was funny.

The problem I had trying to find your quote was, the words in the quote are very common and frowned upon by search engines and, this is a very common rhetorical form.

So when a search engine looks at the quote all it sees is 'space' and 'problem'. Maybe you should look up space quotes and see if another one fits your need? Maybe there's a message to you in the sense that the quote, if your words are right, is too simple?