Bookmasters or Lightening Source what is price difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at both of these companies and was wondering what the difference in cost would be.

* If my pricing for my books will be able to be competitive and still make me a profit.

We started a small publishing company to publish my books, and now are looking for a printer/distributor.

How much about would it cost to release each book, with initial of 1500 to 2500 package. Also e-book?

I am planning on calling for estimates but just want a ball park figure.

Also, what is the benefits of each or what does one offer that the other did not.

Last edited:

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have used Lightning Source for years for all of my books and am very happy with them. The offer fast turnaround, quality products, and are easy to work with.

Unfortunately, with only the information you gave above, nobody can give you a price quote. It depends on several things, including page size, page count, the type of cover, how many color photographs, etc. Lightning Source has a price calculator on the website.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Nita...I would think you would go to each of the sites and check into the prices. There would be no way for us to know. Each book is different and I'm sure they have it all set for each type.

zpeteman

Natural born...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thefiddlersgun.com
I don't know about those two printers but there's no reason you should be paying more than $3 a copy for a basic trade paperback.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Good, It's a 80K word book on 6x9 with color cover, no other pics.

I'll call and get quotes.

With LS were your books available for purchase at online sites like: Borders, amazon, barnes & nobles, or walmart?

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, got back an estimate

100 books, 6x9, paperback $897 ($8.97 per book) * you can have a small order - leave some books at their warehouse for book orders, and have some shipped to you for promotion...you pic the amount based on your budget. ** I am starting with 100 books, 50 mailed to me and 50 still onsite.
1500 books - $4300 (approx)
2500 books - $4899 (approx)

Then they have a setup fee of approx $497 for distribution services
and various other fees for storage of book, but its not too bad.

They have 2 catalogues that they feature your book in which they send out to bookstores. A Fall catalogue with a cut off date of March 15th (publish date of July). A Winter catalogue with cut off date of Sept. 15th (publish date of Jan).

They also set your publish date in which your book is available for purchase on amazon, barnes&nobes, borders online websites as well as available for order by bookstores. It is usually 180 days from the date of your contract with them.

I hope this helps anyone that is interested in this option out.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Ok, got back an estimate

100 books, 6x9, paperback $897 ($8.97 per book) * you can have a small order - leave some books at their warehouse for book orders, and have some shipped to you for promotion...you pic the amount based on your budget. ** I am starting with 100 books, 50 mailed to me and 50 still onsite.
1500 books - $4300 (approx)
2500 books - $4899 (approx)

Then they have a setup fee of approx $497 for distribution services
and various other fees for storage of book, but its not too bad.

Nitaworm,

Please tell me the $897 includes the $497 distribution fee for the 100 books!

LSI do a similar 6 x 9 paperback for about $4 per unit but their distribution and set up is far cheaper, like $100 and catalogs sent out to bookstores from printers don't sell books - sales reps from book distributors working for one or more publishers are the ones who get your books into stores!

Last edited:

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hum, I am still doing comparisons. Went on the LS website. Will give them a call also before I put out any $$ to either.

Oh, the $497 is to set up your account with them and for the 1st title, and its $67 for additional titles.

I am supposed to have a conference call with Bookmasters and will ask about sales/distribution.

Last edited:

Todd Bayliss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mtoddbayliss.com
The latest pricing I have from Lightning Source to ship to the publisher (you) is $0.90 plus $0.015 per page for a small paperback (up to 7.44"x9.25").
There is also volume price breaks of 5-25% for orders in excess of 50 copies.
You will also be required to buy a $30 proof copy when you set up your first title (not a bad idea really).

THe main hitch with Lightning Source is that they require that you have at least 3 ISBN's, so if this is going to be your only book ever then some of the other alternatives might be better.

Lucy Dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
You have to get an ISBN anyway if you're your own publisher. You can buy one. I think it's about $125. Or you can get ten for $275 or something. I don't remember anything about needing 3 to contract with LSI--I do have bouts of amnesia though! I'm not good with math and when I balanced everything out LSI was the best deal. They print 44 million books a year, so they do know what they're doing and the people were wonderful to me. Dunce that I was about the process even though I researched and read all the how-to books.

I was glad to have the proof copy since it was my first book. I changed the cover because when I saw the thing in real life, I saw how it could be better.

Sure CreateSpace is cheaper and so is Lulu but they are the publisher. Unless you get your own ISBN they have published your book. I wanted to be the publisher. I wanted to be serious. It wasn't a vanity book and...draw your own conclusions about that aspect.

Lucy D.

Artphotos

Registered
Reaction score
I would love a LightingSource quote.

If there is anyone who has a LSI account and is willing to run a few numbers for me, I'd be very happy. I have a 100-page full color, soft cover 8.5X11 book. I previously printed it with lulu, but did not have it published by them. I'm beginning to work on another book of about the same specs as well.

My current book sells primarily through local retail, but my next one will require a larger distribution base.

Thanks.

- Dave

Captain Jack

Starving Artist and Author
Registered
Reaction score
I would love a LightingSource quote.

If there is anyone who has a LSI account and is willing to run a few numbers for me, I'd be very happy. I have a 100-page full color, soft cover 8.5X11 book. I previously printed it with lulu, but did not have it published by them. I'm beginning to work on another book of about the same specs as well.

My current book sells primarily through local retail, but my next one will require a larger distribution base.

Thanks.

- Dave

Hi Dave .... why don't you just contact them and ask? YOu don't need to have an account to ask them about their offering.... They are quite cooperative and will gladly answer any questions you have. I sent my account rep a long and detailed list of questions and told him to explain it to me like I was a sixth-grader ..... He answered my questions to the letter and I could actually understand everything!! I'm sure you know their url, but just in case, here it is: http://www.lightningsource.com/

...as for the requirement of 3 ISBN's that was mentioned, when you submit your application they ask for 3 "sample" ISBN's ..... I think that want to see if you are serious about working with them in a publisher/distributor/printer relationship .... A serious publisher owns ISBN's .... I think that if you even submit only one ISBN then they would know you are serious. All they have to do is cross-check that ISBN, see that it is issued to the publisher that is requesting a distribution contract and then they continue the application process ...

Disclaimer: I'm at the south end of a bottle of Chardonnay so my opinions may or may not hold any water ! .....

Good Luck with whomever you choose .....

DoomieBey

Registered
Reaction score
As stated above, when dealing with companies like Lightning Source, it's difficult to get a concrete price quote without knowing the page count, etc. I plan to use LS, and spoke with a really nice person by the name of Amber. She can be reached @ 1(615)213-4704.

Also, it is my understanding from Amber that they [LS] work with authors as well as publishing companies. You have to set yourself up as a sole proprietorship or "doing buiness as..."

Hope this helps.

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this all helps. I am doing comparisons now, and its coming along well. I am still leaning towards Bookmasters because of some of the additional services they offer, but am checking with LS al the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.