PDA

View Full Version : Feeling SO Down...

Leigh86
07-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Okay, so it's not so much the rejections. I actually haven't heard anything from anyone in weeks. (Though I think that has more to do with agent emails being accidently sent to spam instead of my inbox.) Rejections are part of the business and they're normal. Believe me, I know that!
But yesterday I made the mistake of going into a Barnes and Noble. Within minutes, I was completely overwhelmed with thoughts of horror. "There are SO many books in here! SO many writers! How am I going to break down the veil and get in here?"
I'm also setting my first novel aside for now. I've been trying to get that one agented for almost a year now and I've had a few nibbles, but nothing to say that it will be my debut novel. So now, I've just finished my second novel and am preparing to start querying this one. Personally, I feel it's better than my first, so we'll see.
But right now, I'm just exhausted. This is all SO much harder than I ever thought it would be, but strangely enough, that only makes me want it more.
I needed to share my frustration and stress with people I knew would understand.
Thank you for listening, friends. Good luck to all of you and also, good luck to me. :)

scully931
07-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh, I understand EXACTLY what you mean about going into the bookstore. Ack! I make myself stay away from my genre while querying. My problem is not so much with how many there are (okay, that too) but when I pick one up and I don't even think it's that good. Why do good things always happen to everyone else? :cry:

So... I feel your pain. :Hug2:

Tburger
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
But yesterday I made the mistake of going into a Barnes and Noble. Within minutes, I was completely overwhelmed with thoughts of horror. "There are SO many books in here! SO many writers! How am I going to break down the veil and get in here?"

I just had a hugely similar experience, with a twist. I looked at all the books and thought "wow - they are publishing so many, maybe it is possible to get published." Then I had my moment of terror. "But with all these books who is ever going to see/buy mine, especially when you've got all these big name authors?"

dawinsor
07-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Leigh, I set aside a first book and queried a second and got an agent. So go you! It's best to think about the writing and not the other part, which we have so little control over.

Leigh86
07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
[quote=dawinsor;3823195]Leigh, I set aside a first book and queried a second and got an agent. So go you!

Thank you so much for saying this! I can't tell you how much I needed to hear that, so thank you.

OL
07-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Leigh, in my experience, you have to kill a few trees before you've written enough to sell a book. That's not universally the case, but it is more often than not. So write your new book, have fun with it and see where you are at the end of the process. Odds are you will be in a much better position to sell it than you were with your first one.

Emily Arsenault
07-20-2009, 04:18 AM
If you feel your second novel is better than your first, you're probably right. And you're way better off than someone who keeps picking at the first novel and waiting for an agent to call. You moved on to your second and FINISHED while you were querying the first. That's great! That takes a lot of discipline.

I got an agent with my second novel, too. Hang in there.

Amarie
07-20-2009, 04:33 AM
I'll chime in too. I got an agent with my second novel, even though it's more like my fifth, because I completely rewrote the first so many times. Persistence is vital.

MsJudy
07-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean about the bookstore feeling. So many books - who needs one more? It's overwhelming. Why would anyone ever want to publish mine? And if they did, why would anyone ever want to buy it? How would I ever make it stand out?

I think going into a bookstore is one of the most humbling experiences there is.

And yet...we keep writing.

MarieSheridan
07-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I get discouraged when my family and friends try encourage me. I suppose I should feel supported since they have faith in me, but I don't think they realize how many brillant writers there are out there that can't get into the published market.

With that said, it is encouraging to see many of you have more luck with your second novel. I absolutely love my first but know it isn't as tight as it should be. All the more reason to keep plugging away on the next one.

You're not alone Leigh. I am right there with you.

Leigh86
07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I want to give a BIG thank you to all of you. Especially those "second time around" authors. It was very encouraging to see how you made it in on your second try because I'm officially on my second and am starting research for a third!
I wrote up a first draft query for my second novel today and I'm continuing revisions on the novel itself as well. Onward and upward. Never give up, never surrender.
Writing is how I want to spend the rest of my life so I don't expect it to come easy. I know it takes a lot of work. A lot more than non-writing people think it does. I'm learning as I go and drawing knowledge and wisdom from those of you who have come before me.
Thanks again, friends. It means so much!

JenWriter
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I also got an agent with my second novel. So, just keep at it!