PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on scars from animal bites

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 03:28 AM
I have a character who was biten by a wolf as a small child on the abdomen (very badly)

Would this scar get smaller or bigger as they reached adulthood?

I tried a google search, but didn't get what I was looking for. I'm lucky and don't have any scars from when I was a child, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AngelicaRJackson
07-19-2009, 04:30 AM
I was dogbit in the hand as a child, but there was a plastic surgeon involved and the appearance of the scar is not that bad. You might need to take into account available medical care, or if there were any paranormal circumstances involved. As to other scars, I form keloids (thickening involving the scar, feels like a nodule) and many of those look more knarly than the original injury would suggest. The ones on my torso have not faded even 15 years or so later, I've even had doctors ask me when my "surgery" was, and it seems like they are worse in the areas with fatty tissue like the abdomen.

I also had a friend that had multiple abdominal surgeries as an infant, and I was shocked the first time I saw her in a bikini. The scars on her abdomen were not necessarily thick, but shiny and patterned like fissures in mud.

Don't know if any of that helps, but that's my two cents!

TabithaTodd
07-19-2009, 04:33 AM
From experience...(not dog bite though but I feel just as bad as one - rabbit bite) it gets smaller, less pronounced but is still visible and discolored from the rest of the surrounding tissues.

This, I would assume, depends on how much damage was done and how much preventative medical care\ palliative medical care was involved (ie: lack of medical professional seen vs seen. Plastic surgeons, reconstruction surgery, blood vessels needing to be rejoined, skin grafts, ect ect).

backslashbaby
07-19-2009, 04:57 AM
I'd have to shave my head to check the majority of mine! I think I'll pass :D

The puncture wounds and a smaller rippy one have all gotten lighter and flatter. I don't know about physically smaller, but definitely less noticeable. Still weird non-colors, though, after years.

I guess what I'd notice most is that they are all still indented rather than higher, like car-crash scars or other things that are stitched more. The skin had to grow over more open places, more like a burn. Docs try to use as few stitches as possible with bites because of the infection risk.

The puncture wounds look like big deep pits, wider than the teeth were but still circular - very distinctive. The others are ripped-open, or off, places. Sorry to be so graphic, but I saw bear attack wounds and was fascinated at the similarities to a canine attack. That 'teeth' thang leaves distinctive scars!

Fenika
07-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Hm, now I want to go look at pics of me as a kid to compare. Too bad we didn't have digital back then (would make it easier)

Btw, I have two scars near my eyes, from when a dog *grabbed my head*. I was a toddler. Yeahhhh. Both scars are little craters, one more obvious than the other. I assume they are from the canines. I don't remember this at all, but strange dogs do make me nervous.

/random

Puma
07-19-2009, 05:23 AM
As the human body grows, scars grow also. But over time the discoloration of the tissue fades so even though they're larger, they aren't as noticeable. Puma

Tsu Dho Nimh
07-19-2009, 05:24 AM
I have a character who was biten by a wolf as a small child on the abdomen (very badly)

Would this scar get smaller or bigger as they reached adulthood?

I tried a google search, but didn't get what I was looking for. I'm lucky and don't have any scars from when I was a child, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scar on soft stretchy skin area tends to stay the same size, so it gets a bit smaller relative to the skin area of the abdomen. If it's a long scar, it will appear to shrink more sideways than long ways.

Scar on bony area, like chest, tends to grow with skin because skin is less flexible.

It's often recommended that a child get some scar revision as they grow to prevent the scar from pulling the unscarred skin out of line. It's based on need.

Fenika
07-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Also, as an afterthought, humans grow very slowly. Scars don't change that much (well, some heal slowly over time and fade away, just depends on the scar).

Point being, I'm not sure anyone would really notice, yeah?

ymmv

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow. This puts it in perspective. I've gotten the info I need. Sorry so many had such graffic things happen as a child, I almost cried.

Thanks for all the info.

Ms Hollands
07-19-2009, 11:24 AM
It's not all depressing. I have a scar from my very own dog, but it was while we were playing with a rope, and he was so focussed on the rope, he didn't notice my leg and bit both. He seemed to feel pretty guilty afterwards and he was always a hippy dog, letting kids ride around on him like a horse etc., and now that he's passed away, I'm pleased to have a scar in memory of what a great dog he was!

BTW, my scar has never changed size but it has definitely faded and flattened.

TabithaTodd
07-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I found something for you - the blog of a cutter. You might be able to ask her questions, she seems very open about it and is in recovery (53 days in) : http://girlagainstthewall.xanga.com/688878288/scars-remind-us-that-the-past-is-real/

She makes a very interesting point about scars and memories. Very articulate as well.

Tiz_Mee
07-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I found something for you - the blog of a cutter. You might be able to ask her questions, she seems very open about it and is in recovery (53 days in) : http://girlagainstthewall.xanga.com/688878288/scars-remind-us-that-the-past-is-real/

She makes a very interesting point about scars and memories. Very articulate as well.

Wow! thanks!!

backslashbaby
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM
My attack was from a good dog who had an embolism and went 'insane' and I was sitting down near him [he got my shoulder and then my head]. I wanted to add that I absolutely adore dogs, and this was just a sad occurence.

Thank you for your concern :)

chevbrock
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I think something else you may want to consider - if your character was attacked on the abdomen "very badly", and I'm assuming that there was very little, if any, medical care available, that it might not seem feasible that your character would survive this type of injury?

Tiz_Mee
07-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I think something else you may want to consider - if your character was attacked on the abdomen "very badly", and I'm assuming that there was very little, if any, medical care available, that it might not seem feasible that your character would survive this type of injury?

It's paranormal so there are other forces involved in the surviving. I was basically just needing to know that if the scar was, let's say, 5" in diameter, if it would remain approx the same same or "stretch" and appear larger than it was orginally.

Thanks!

chevbrock
07-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Not a drama. I know myself that sometimes, in my need to make the story work, I forget the bleeding (pardon the pun) obvious. I just thought I would point it out in case you were having one of "my" moments. :)